Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U/W control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
MdJ

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: U/W control Reply with quote

Ok, so, I'm back from a 2 year break from Magic. The first thing I always do when I play anywhere is see if I can make some form of UW, the deck I play best. After a brief look at the current T2 sets, I thought it might be worth a shot, and concocted the following deck:

//NAME: Untitled Deck
4 Plains
7 Island
4 Savor the Moment
2 Draining Whelk
4 Ancestral Vision
3 Porphyry Nodes
2 Repel Intruders
4 Negate
3 Ith, High Arcanist
3 Godhead of Awe
4 Cryptic Command
4 Wrath of God
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Mystic Gate
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Mind Stone
SB: 3 Deep-Sea Kraken
SB: 4 Teferi's Moat
SB: 4 Counterbore
SB: 1 Godhead of Awe
SB: 2 Draining Whelk
SB: 1 Porphyry Nodes

I'm sure many improvements can be made, so I encourage anyone reading this to comment on whatever you can. I'm aware that my sideboard is ridiculous. If this doesn't pan out as it should, I'll be looking into an UB control variant, any tips on that are welcome as well.
MdJ

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already roll with 4 wraths:p
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to say that is a really good interaction. If you can keep spot removal for Liege type cards then you are setup for the win. At that point you just need to protect your self from burn to the dome or removal on Godhead of Awe. I would think that Pact of Negation would like some small home in the deck. 2-3 max seems like the right number. As for Relic over Mind Stone, that is pretty much a gimme for Relic. Mind Spring may also be "awe"some in the non-counter control match ups.

I think that last list was a step up for sure but needs more spot removal. Condemn would be great as you can turn guys into 1/1.
bl0t

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucksak wrote:
He does have 4 Wrath of God, but also some subpar card choices. But that's why we are here to help. This is great because I've been thinking about U/W Control, so a quick take I'de play something like this. You know what's good with Godhead of Awe...Desert and Crovax! Also key cards against Faeries.

A Rough Draft

4 Godhead of Awe
2 Crovax, Ascendant Hero

1 Pact of Negation
4 Rune Snag
4 Negate
4 Cryptic Command
2 Repel Intruders

4 Ancestral Vision
4 Wrath of God
2 Austere Command

3 Oblivion Ring

4 Desert
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Mystic Gate
3 Calciform Pools
2 Tolaria West
7 Island
2 Reflecting Pool

Good luck suspending turn 1 Visions.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this aggro meta, you have no time to put counters on Calciform Pools, so they are really useless in this deck. You need plains in there if you want to play Wrath on turn 4, let alone turn 3! But you need Deserts. They should be your only colourless lands, since you play Godhead of Awe.

4 Desert
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Wanderwine Hub (cip tapped but thats ok)
8 Island
5 Plains

Also Negate sucks, Ith isn't good enough and Savor the moment draws you a card. It isn't worth the "combo" with Ith. Repel Intruders can be ok, I guess. Mind Stone isn't good with all the coloured mana in this deck. Coalition Relic is better.

Here is my take on UW control, untested of course:

4 Wrath of God
4 Ancestral Vision

4 Cryptic Command
2 Cancel
4 Rune Snag
3 Remove Soul
4 Condemn

2 Oblivion Ring
1 Sacred Mesa

1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
3 Godhead of Awe
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero

SB:

3 Porphyry Nodes
2 Story Circle
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero
2 Pithing Needle
3 Disenchant
4 Kitchen Finks

I must point out, though, how difficult it is in this meta to not fight back while defending. Akroma is one of the few creatures available in these colours that can change the game from a hopeless fight against inevitable defeat, to a certain victory. It must be in there.
MdJ

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think you have quite a lot of single target removal in there?
In a meta with faeries and merfolk and red aggro etc, I'd rather be able to remove lots at the same time. That's why I went for porphyry nodes. I agree about the relic, but I disagree about Savor the moment. Besides a card, it also gives you a landdrop: it's mana acceleration that cantrips. You're probably right about the negate, I like your counterbase.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Wrath is good vs many creatures, but good players play around it by dropping 1 or 2 threats max, and they run 4-8 man-lands. They kill you. There are actually way too few targeted instant removals in the deck for this meta. Should be 10-15 in such a passive deck as this, but Desert helps. That U/W flash defender with flying could actually prove quite useful against such things as man-lands and early combat.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1