Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your thoughts on "junk" commons

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
cloysterd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Your thoughts on "junk" commons Reply with quote

With nearly a week of Shadowmoor drafting complete, I'm wondering what people think of these cards that seem to be popular 15th picks. Any others you think might be underrated?

Memory Sluice - Has anybody tried drafting these? Seems like you could easily get 6 or 7 and mill like crazy.

Cerulean/Viridescent Wisps - Not great, obviously, but cheap cantrips that can be quick combat tricks or hose some powerful stuff. Playable?

Gleeful Sabotage - With all the Scarecrows and monster enchantments running around, it seems like this could be worth maindecking. Too bad it's a sorcery.

Mine Excavation - Even remotely playable? Maybe with a lot of Scarecrows?
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Sluice- bitterblossom anyone?

Wisps: hmm, i love playing black, so if i start encountering alot of cameleons around, i might splash a color so i can block th emight chameleon

Gleeful- i think thi one might actually see play, with amount of people running elves and making tokens, it might see SB play

Mine- hmm, unless someone is playing like turbofog or WB rogues/faeries, i don't think it will see play
Thorns

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delicious wrote:
Memory Sluice- bitterblossom anyone?

Wisps: hmm, i love playing black, so if i start encountering alot of cameleons around, i might splash a color so i can block th emight chameleon

Gleeful- i think thi one might actually see play, with amount of people running elves and making tokens, it might see SB play

Mine- hmm, unless someone is playing like turbofog or WB rogues/faeries, i don't think it will see play

Too bad this is the limited forum and that he's talking about drafting.

I'm surprised that Memory Sluice isn't picked at higher than that. When I saw it in the spoiler I thought it would be 5th or 6th pick. It's solid and can mill 8 cards for U/B.

The Wisps also surprise me. Their effect might be negligable but the card drawing is worth the cost in most colors.

The fact that Gleeful Sabotage is a sorcery is its major drawback. Smash to Smithereens is simply the better choice here. The big enchantments can easily be ignored, though Rage eflection can break games.

Mine Excavation isn't that great. If you really need to get that Scarecrow back, you're better off with a much more versatile Raise Dead type spell.
ransom3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Sluice is pretty h4x0r. Also, I'm fairly sure that drafting fits in pretty solidly in the Limited category.
Thorns

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ransom3 wrote:
Memory Sluice is pretty h4x0r. Also, I'm fairly sure that drafting fits in pretty solidly in the Limited category.

Oh yes of course. But neither Bitterblossom or Chameleon Collosus fit in.
Avata

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts:

Memory Sluice - I'd say "viable - maybe." If this card were an instant, I'd be all over it as an alternative win. As a sorcery, it's hard to know whether your average u/b control is really going to be in the position to tap down to of their own guys on their turn, and if they are, how often are those going to be offensive beaters that would be better spent flying overhead for a shot to the dome? That said, if it feels like you're getting a lot of them late in the first half of the draft, you could pick them higher later on and end up with a weird sort of u-b control with early drops, and just steal random matches by resolving three of them early. (Kind of reminds me the old arcane-milling from Kamigawa block draft - it usually didn't work, but when it did, it worked amazingly just because opponents had no weapons to deal with you.)

Various Wisps - Absolutely playable. Every single one of them gives some small relevant benefit at least (although I like the red and green ones the least) and if you're hurting for playables, you'll happily add these guys purely as deck thinning agents. The blue one can be a sick combat trick at the right time, and the black and white ones can at least marginally throw off racing math, which is a good thing.

The other two, I dunno. Gleeful Sabotage seems like a sideboard card at best (although I could be wrong, and as a sideboard card, there are definitely matchups where I could see this thing being a monster). Mine excavation seems "okay" if you have a deck built for it with a lot of scarecrows (to make sure you have more than one artifact in the gy) and "must kill" artifacts or enchantments (to make sure that when you cast excavation, your opponent knows he's in huge trouble). But, that's really situational. It's probably one of those cards that you'll feel comfy having in your sb, but you'll find never quite justifies it's way into the main.
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, didn't read lol
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been main decking 1 copy of gleeful/smash since the high prevailence of scarecrows and enchants....
that memory card well ... i see u have to mill about 25 cards in limited to actually mill the player

that means u need to play 3 (conspired) for 24 cards... for u to draw 3 of that card in ur top 15 means u want about 8 in the deck ... so you would hae to be gunning for them from early in the draft

Lastly about the wisps they are all playable and i would never mind having any single wisp in my deck ... just playing multiples i could see as a little sloppy
Avata

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have to mill about 25 cards assuming you're looking to get into a race situation. If you can stabilize the board 1) you could have much more time to draw the necessary three copies and/or 2) two copies would be sufficient to end the game.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1