Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Warming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
coolcreep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopster wrote:
coolcreep wrote:
None of that even addresses the fact that your statement saying that 99.9% of scientists agree with global warming was proven false.

Wikipedia states:
"The conclusion that global warming is mainly caused by human activity and will continue if greenhouse gas emissions are not reduced has been endorsed by at least 30 scientific societies and academies of science, including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries. The US National Academy of Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Joint Science Academies of the major industrialized and developing nations explicitly use the word "consensus" when referring to this conclusion.
A 2004 essay by Naomi Oreskes in the journal Science reported a survey of 928 abstracts of peer-reviewed papers related to global climate change in the ISI database. Oreskes stated that 'Remarkably, none of the papers disagreed with the consensus position. ... This analysis shows that scientists publishing in the peer-reviewed literature agree with IPCC, the National Academy of Sciences, and the public statements of their professional societies.'"

Also, check out this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

wikipedia is not a source. I could go and delete everything that you just quoted right now if I wanted to.
snoopster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia by itself is not a source. However, the Wikipedia page did cite sources for every piece of information it uses, and I checked all of these sources (you can check them too, if you want). Thus, the "wikipedia is not a source" argument does not work.

And nico, I agree with you that human-caused global warming isn't completely proven yet. However, I'm not a climate scientist, and I don't pretend to be one, so I'm going with the huge majority here.

Also, I look at the debate like this:
Two things could happen. Global warming may actually not be caused by humans (which goes against the far majority of scientists), and we may end up fine. Or, global warming could be caused by humans (which is far more probable), and the earth will be doomed. I would rather take measures to ensure that if global warming is real, its effects would be prevented, than to take the chance that it isn't real and risk the world being effectively destroyed.
Koen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it's quite likely humans cause extra global warming. But like nico said, I don't think it's our biggest problem.

It's probably a good plan to reduce emissions by using less gasoline anyway. All this Oil needs to come from regions like Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia and Venezuela. Giving these dictatorships more money and influence doesn't exactly improve world peace.

The world is running out of easy oil. This is going to have profound effects on our lives. A lot of stuff we get cheap now is going to be a lot more expensive.

Politicians just talking about renewable energy plans doesn't help much. Much more needs to happen.

The Biofuel plan is also a very bad idea. You can already see the impact on food prices. Land now used for biofuel, is not used to produce food. And food prices are already increasing by a lot, due to increased transportation and production costs (more expensive energy).

Just on a sidenote. If any of you has savings, invest in the food or energy sector. Just putting your money on a bank account ain't gonna do much when food and energy prices are skyrocketing. Price increases aren't gonna end anytime soon. The value of the dollars in bank accounts, saving and retirement plans is being drastically reduced by bad government policies. More and more dollars are created by the FED to bail out the banking system. The more dollars they create, the less valuable your dollars will get and the more expensive your daily needs will become.
zagorakis7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow snoopster is an idiot. He checks to see who responds to his post, and then gives some gay argument back. NO LIFE.
XSquad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT invest in oil commodities, I'm telling you thats the next bubble. Eventually there will be enough international pressure on OPEC to increase production and oil exports, which will drive down oil prices and POP! there goes the price of oil commodities. Also, I would say the corn commodity is a long-term bubble. Once governments figure out that biofuels are a waste of money, a corporate scam, and a primary factor in the increase of food prices around the world, demand for ethanol will decrease and the demand for corn crops will decrease as well. The supply of corn at least for the short term after such a change would be high in comparison to the market demand, so corn prices will decrease.

I would personally invest in Costco and/or Walmart stock right now, those stocks are pretty stable and are "safe" options right now. Also, I would invest in the copper commodity. Interestingly enough, Hasbro, the company that owns Wizards of the Coast, has actually been experiencing a boom (in the last 3 months its share price jumped from 17 dollars to 35 dollars). Well thats my two cents, and then some.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4