Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Priority

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Priority Reply with quote

Speaking of it, what are the steps of passing priority? like during a players main step, if they aren't going to play anything, do you ask or wait for them to move to the combat phase?
thranarama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After someone does or declines to do something when they would have the chance to (during every step of the turn), they then pass priority to their opponent. It's considered acceptable as a shortcut not to announce every change of priority during a turn.
kfcman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thranarama has it pretty much right
basically during each step and phase, excluding the untap step, the active player recieves priority, meaning that they have the right to play any spells before the non active player. The active player also has priority to play spells after anything is put on the stack.
For example, if it is my main phase i can play a seismis assault and dump my hand full of lands to burn my opponent before he has a chance to play his krosan grip because i have priority. Make sure that you tell someone you are keeping priority in such specific situations.
Also on MTGO you have to hold control while playing a spell or making an action to retain priority.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Close Reply with quote

throughblack wrote:
At the beginning and end of each step other than untap step. anytime and activated or triggered ability or spell goes on the stack

No, you get priority only once in a step, if neither does anything. In every step the active player gets priority first and if he passes, the non-active player gets priority. Assuming he passes too, you move to the next step, since both players passed on an empty stack.
Batibot23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kfcman wrote:
thranarama has it pretty much right
basically during each step and phase, excluding the untap step, the active player recieves priority, meaning that they have the right to play any spells before the non active player. The active player also has priority to play spells after anything is put on the stack.
For example, if it is my main phase i can play a seismis assault and dump my hand full of lands to burn my opponent before he has a chance to play his krosan grip because i have priority. Make sure that you tell someone you are keeping priority in such specific situations.
Also on MTGO you have to hold control while playing a spell or making an action to retain priority.

Is this right? Or is it after you played a spell or an ability, priority is passed?

Trickbind:
Split Second.
Counter target triggered or activated ability. If a permanent's activated ability is countered this way, it can't be played this turn.

Then, Trickbind can't counter Mirror Entity to complete the Rev Combo?

*edit*
It just happened awhile ago. It's my Main Phase, I cast Nefarious Lich, he used Dromar's Charm to counter it. Then, he suddenly played Wheel and Deal (Any number of target opponents each discards his or her hand and draws seven cards. Draw a Card ) after countering my Nefarious Lich. Is it his priority or my priority because he just played Dromar's Charm. He said that I have to discard my hand first because it's instant but, I keep on telling him that it's MY main phase and he just played Dromar's Charm to counter my first Nefarious Lich. So, I got the priority. Am I wrong or am I right?
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you play something, you get priority again. The default action is that that priority is passed, but if you say so, you can keep priority.

In case of Seismic Assault you could thus dump all your lands, before they can play something, if you say that you keep priority.

If he plays Wheel and Deal in response to his own Dromar's Charm he can do that without passing priority.

If he plays Wheel and Deal after Dromar's Charm resolves, you get priority first.

Basically the active player gets priority first, but if you play something (and thus have priority) you keep it.
Cosmo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as David Earley said in his article:

Quote:
1) When a player plays a spell or ability, that player keeps priority.
2) When a spell resolves, the active player (the player whose turn it is), gets priority.
3) The thing on top of the stack resolves when both players pass in a row.
Batibot23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Trickbind would only counter Mirror Entity's activated Ability once if the controller of the Mirror has already stacked its abilities for n times.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep
Delicious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so after playing a spell, you don't have to give priority over to your opp and you can play another instant spell
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but that new spell will be put on the stack on top of the old one. The opponent can respond to both of them, eventually.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1