Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/W Martyr Revival?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Daveslusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: B/W Martyr Revival? Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [MOR] Mutavault
7 [CS] Snow-Covered Plains
2 [TSP] Calciform Pools
4 [10E] Caves of Koilos
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 [TE] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [CS] Martyr of Sands
1 [TSB] Akroma, Angel of Wrath
2 [LRW] Liliana Vess

// Spells
3 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
3 [MOR] Idyllic Tutor
3 [FUT] Coalition Relic
4 [10E] Wrath of God
1 [TSB] Enduring Renewal
2 [10E] Mind Stone
2 [MOR] Feudkiller's Verdict
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom
2 [LRW] Profane Command
2 [MOR] Mind Shatter
1 [10E] Grave Pact
2 [FUT] Slaughter Pact

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [PLC] Crovax, Ascendant Hero
SB: 1 [TSB] Enduring Renewal
SB: 1 [FUT] Imperial Mask
SB: 1 [MOR] Feudkiller's Verdict
SB: 2 [MI] Disenchant
SB: 2 [TSB] Sacred Mesa
SB: 2 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
SB: 1 [MOR] Mind Shatter
SB: 3 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 1 [FUT] Slaughter Pact

i'm aware at first this deck looks like a giant pile of good rares and a broken common, but lets look it it more closley....

Feudkillers verdict is probly one of the best lifegain cards next to martyr however, the 6 mana is quite prohibitive so i managed to make 2 maindeck work.

Idyllic tutor is redonkulous, it lets me play singletons of bomb enchantments that can just win me the game(Grave Pact/ Enduring Renewal) Theres also the fact that it lets me tutor for a ring to get rid of said enchantments if they weigh me down. All arround good card.

Bitterblossom is maindeck yes. why? because it is hits turn 2 i almost NEVER LOSE. Marytr backs up the lifegain so i don't ever dip into the negaitves it's an all arround good system.

The singleton akroma is for "when i should win but can't" she isnt that good tbh she just gets blocked by a cloudthresher = /.

Liliana is md for control and she can also be an emergency vamp tutor. it's not that bad all arround vs faeries my worst mu.

On faeries you may notice that crovax is sb. why? because he sucks with bitterblossom and personally i would ratehr have bitterblossom maindeck and just board in crovax + mesa g2 and g3 because even with crovax the faerie mu is still a 20/80 them.

Maindeck pacts are for gargadons. hehe stupid gargadon.

Things that are in consideration again:

SB Story Circle - it just wasnt worth the mana investment before...maybe now it is?

Well feel free to flame. Or complain or yell w/e. Have fun.
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shriekmaw is very good with Pact and Renewal. I would def make room for 2-4 Shriekmaw in the main. Also as dumb as it sounds Phyrexian Vault could be an ok draw engine for the deck. It's not great at all but a start. Have you thought about J. Tome as a draw engine. I think that it's a very forgoten card. Sure it's best played in decks with loads of instants. It's just a thought.
Malakai97
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mana base is pretty bad, especially for a deck that wants to hit WW on turn 4 for wrath and BB on turn 5 for Mind Shatter. I don't know what kind of life gain you can really expect out of Martyr with only 18 total white cards. Mana Tithe will probably be a better performer.

Although right now in standard everyone's shakey mana bases are mostly safe, once shadowmoor comes out we can probably expect to see decks with strong LD subthemes, as well as a playset of Magus of the Moon maindeck.
Daveslusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suck at mana bases anyone feel free to fix it.
Conway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: my list Reply with quote

I have been working on this deck off and on since bitterblossum was spoiled. The condemns are good in the maindeck becuase I found myself losing to mutavaults/treetop villages/ faerie conclaves.
In the case of Mana Ramp and their treetop villages, I bring in the nettlevine blight as a IT bullet. Mind shatters and thoughtseizes come in against them too. You can guess what else the thoughtseizes are good for. The extirpates are in the board to take away the inevitability your opponent has on you in the Reveilark machup. Against faeries take out 3 bitterblossums for the crovaxes and the 4th condemn. Bitterblossum is usually bad until you need to win, because the blockers it makes are irrelevant when faeries can Cryptic Command ur team. Null profusion 1 tutor and he liliannas can come out for thoughtseizes too. Ur call.

I am considering adding another Idyllic Tutor +3 bottle gnomes +3 shriekmaws to the board. That way, against aggro matchups you could quickly set up an enduring renewal machine gun.

WB marytr

// Lands
8 [CS] Snow-Covered Plains
5 [CS] Snow-Covered Swamp
2 [CS] Mouth of Ronom
4 [CS] Scrying Sheets
4 [10E] Caves of Koilos

// Creatures
2 [CS] Adarkar Valkyrie
4 [CS] Martyr of Sands
2 [LRW] Liliana Vess

// Spells
2 [LRW] Austere Command
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom
4 [CS] Coldsteel Heart
1 [CS] Grim Harvest
4 [A] Wrath of God
3 [MOR] Idyllic Tutor
1 [IA] Enduring Renewal
1 [10E] Story Circle
1 [TSB] Sacred Mesa
1 [MOR] Feudkiller's Verdict
1 [PLC] Null Profusion
3 [10E] Condemn
3 [LRW] Oblivion Ring

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [PLC] Crovax, Ascendant Hero
SB: 1 [10E] Condemn
SB: 1 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 [MOR] Mind Shatter
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 1 [LRW] Nettlevine Blight

I think that my list is probably a lot better than daveslusher's. I have 39% more white cards to fuel my martyr activations and my mana is better. Consistency is GUD. Also my sideboard is more focused on Matchups rather than just pushing random card dirt into perceived strategy holes.

His deck is probably more powerful in the late game though, as he has big profane commands and mind shatters. Also Akroma.

Last edited by Conway on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Conway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: 1 more thing Reply with quote

the snow engine has tested well. You tend to have a lot of time and mana to scry away with playing this deck. The sheets pay off in the long run. Also, if you play a null profusion and ur opponent makes u discard the sheets might save you from being locked out. Sometimes it is good to stack a snow perm with lilianna. Ur sure to hit ur scry then.
If you count it up, the mana is still pretty good even with the scrying sheets and mouth of ronoms tapping for C. The coldsteel hearts and caves of koilos are almost always enough to smooth ur draws out.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I hate you dave.

Anyway you can use the 1/4 from shadowmare to get mr. sands back.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1