Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Warming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
snoopster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Global Warming Reply with quote

I know this is kind of random, but global warming is the most important issue in the world today and is threatening our existence on earth. Please do everyone a favor and read the following:

According to research and links found via wikipedia:

It does exist:
"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes "most of the observed increase in globally averaged temperatures since the mid-twentieth century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations" via the greenhouse effect. While individual scientists have voiced disagreement with some findings of the IPCC, the overwhelming majority of scientists working on climate change agree with the IPCC's main conclusions."

We caused it:
"The detailed causes of the recent warming remain an active field of research, but the scientific consensus is that the increase in atmospheric greenhouse gases due to human activity caused most of the warming observed since the start of the industrial era."

It is already affecting us:
"A 2001 report by the IPCC suggests that glacier retreat, ice shelf disruption such as that of the Larsen Ice Shelf, sea level rise, changes in rainfall patterns, and increased intensity and frequency of extreme weather events, are being attributed in part to global warming."

The future effects will be catastrophic:
"Additional anticipated effects include sea level rise of 110 to 770 millimeters (0.36 to 2.5 ft) between 1990 and 2100, repercussions to agriculture, possible slowing of the thermohaline circulation, reductions in the ozone layer, increased intensity of hurricanes and extreme weather events, lowering of ocean pH, and the spread of diseases such as malaria and dengue fever. One study predicts 18% to 35% of a sample of 1,103 animal and plant species would be extinct by 2050, based on future climate projections."

You can take action:
"The broad agreement among climate scientists that global temperatures will continue to increase has led some nations, states, corporations and individuals to implement actions to try to curtail global warming or adjust to it. Many environmental groups encourage individual action against global warming, often by the consumer, but also by community and regional organizations."

Please take action in some way. Leave fewer lights on in your house. Buy a hybrid car. Spread the word. Global warming is very real, and it will devour the earth if something is not done by the masses.
Hank333

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all propaganda. Every planet in the solar system is warming. The planet is in a constant state of change. What would cause all the planets to warm at the same time? THE SUN. It is %98 the mass of our solar system. They don't drive SUVs on jupiter, but it is getting warmer. Follow the money. The planet is changing, but we are not the only one who can be blamed. The some is definatly acting diffrent. It is much more chaotic right now, and has broken its normal 11 year cycle. What do you think affects planet tempeture more, Co2 or The freaken sun!?

Do you really believe that the state that the planet is in right now is the best, most perfect state it can be in? Ask yourself, has the planet ever warmed befor in its 4 billion+ years, and if it did, was it related to cars and powerplants? We humans are very ignorant. We need to face this fact. We know nothing.

THERE IS NO CONSENSUS.
snoopster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is humorous in that it is wrong in almost every aspect, as well as ironic in that it claims "humans are ignorant," yet it is you that ignore everything that scientists have said and what I have said in my post.

Quote:
This is all propaganda. Every planet in the solar system is warming. The planet is in a constant state of change. What would cause all the planets to warm at the same time? THE SUN. It is %98 the mass of our solar system. They don't drive SUVs on jupiter, but it is getting warmer. Follow the money. The planet is changing, but we are not the only one who can be blamed. The some is definatly acting diffrent. It is much more chaotic right now, and has broken its normal 11 year cycle. What do you think affects planet tempeture more, Co2 or The freaken sun!?

Yes, every planet in the solar system is warming, and one can attribute this to the sun. But the earth is warming far faster than any other planet. You stated, "The planet is changing, but we are not the only one who can be blamed." Yup, we aren't the whole problem. But we are still part of the problem. A large part.

Quote:
Do you really believe that the state that the planet is in right now is the best, most perfect state it can be in? Ask yourself, has the planet ever warmed befor in its 4 billion+ years, and if it did, was it related to cars and powerplants?

Sure, the Earth has gotten warmer throughout its history. We've experienced ice ages before, and this is not the first time the temperature has been this high. You are right that the earth has changed before. But what you fail to realize is that never before has the earth changed this quickly. Processes that have taken 100,000 years before now are taking 8,000 years. So yes, the earth has changed before, but never has it changed anywhere close to this rapidly.

Quote:
We humans are very ignorant. We need to face this fact. We know nothing.

I disagree; many humans are ignorant, but some of them aren't. You are, without a doubt, one of the most ignorant.
stefant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence but do you just pick a topic that will cause as much controversy as possible? I mean, you're not gonna change anyones opinions or actions especially not on the internet. You're not even raising awareness since EVERYONE knows about it.
snoopster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefant wrote:
No offence but do you just pick a topic that will cause as much controversy as possible? I mean, you're not gonna change anyones opinions or actions especially not on the internet. You're not even raising awareness since EVERYONE knows about it.

A lot of people know about global warming, but don't realize how great of a threat it is or that they can take action to help. I think that there actually is a good chance that I will change at least one person's opinion or actions.
cloysterd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey look, it's politics on the internet. This can only lead to productive, intelligent discourse!
snoopster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloysterd wrote:
Hey look, it's politics on the internet. This can only lead to productive, intelligent discourse!

Politics? Where?
kokusho6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

global warming is just 1 big hoax. hank is right if u look at the unbiased non libral agenda information site on global warming like information from all four major temperature tracking outlets Hadley, NASA's GISS, the UAH, and the RSS ull see that they record a huge temperature change in the last year. but not warming but cooling. according to the hadley centre for climate prediction There has been more snow and ice cover in the north hemisphere since 1966. and that past 12 month cooling has wiped out 1 century of warming in a 100 years we warmed 1 celcius and in one years its all gone. All liberals r nieve to believe there own media. You have to do some research and stop listening to wolf blitzer tim russert and chris mathews
snoopster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
global warming is just 1 big hoax. hank is right if u look at the unbiased non libral agenda information site on global warming like information from all four major temperature tracking outlets Hadley, NASA's GISS, the UAH, and the RSS

LOL. I know for a fact that NASA has recognized global warming, and the others are not highly-regarded tracking outlets, and thus no scientists look at them. Please provide proof and sources of data instead of just saying stuff.

Quote:
according to the hadley centre for climate prediction There has been more snow and ice cover in the north hemisphere since 1966. and that past 12 month cooling has wiped out 1 century of warming in a 100 years we warmed 1 celcius and in one years its all gone.

According to the Hadley Centre's website, "The Met Office is pleased that the evidence for climate change had been accepted in a British court of law in line with the IPCC findings that warming our planet is unequivocal, and that it is very likely that most of this warming is caused by man-made greenhouse gases." Umm, nice source?

You seem to think that if one year is cooler, then global warming suddenly isn't happening anymore. This idea, just like your grammar, is completely horrendous.

Quote:
If HaAll liberals r nieve to believe there own media. You have to do some research and stop listening to wolf blitzer tim russert and chris mathews

Why do you link recognition of global warming with liberals? McCain recognizes global warming, and he is a conservative. The only correlation between global warming and liberals is that liberals are generally much smarter than conservatives the same way most people who believe in global warming are much smarter than people who do not.

So basically, your post stated some information that was not backed up, and most of what you posted was wrong. In fact, the one source you did cite just helped to enhance my argument. Well done, sir!
Boba383

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha well I'm not going to get into it right now but in actuallity there is no real consensus on the actual state of "global warming" and there is actually a lot of information that contradicts itself that has not been made sense of yet.

now don't get me wrong i do think that it is going to b a problem that should b solved sooner rather than later but ppl that freak out about it (claiming we r going 2 destroy the planet in 50 years for instance) just make me laugh.

but ya starting political/scientific arguments on the internet is just a good way to get a lot of ppl arguing with each other for no good reason...haha i used to enjoy doing it all of the time in IRC with religion...it was great.
snoopster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
haha well I'm not going to get into it right now but in actuallity there is no real consensus on the actual state of "global warming" and there is actually a lot of information that contradicts itself that has not been made sense of yet.

Not really; the far majority of scientists agree on almost the exact same information regarding climate changes.

Quote:
now don't get me wrong i do think that it is going to b a problem that should b solved sooner rather than later but ppl that freak out about it (claiming we r going 2 destroy the planet in 50 years for instance) just make me laugh.

Well, in 50 years, massive numbers of plant and animal species will die out, temperatures will rise, and disease will increase. So, while we may not destroy the planet in 50 years, the effects of global warming by them will be disastrous.

Quote:
but ya starting political/scientific arguments on the internet is just a good way to get a lot of ppl arguing with each other for no good reason

I agree with this except for the "no good reason" part. Raising awareness of a horrible event that is taking place qualifies as a good reason in my opinion.
Boba383

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont wanna get into now cuz i have 2 much information on this that doesnt quite fit in with your ideas and im too tired to find it and rele i dont care right now (as a side not i litterally get into debates with ppl for fun...its quite entertaining arguing with people over their beliefs. hence y i gather a lot of information on stuff)

like i said dont get me wrong it is a problem but u for example r one of the ppl i feel blows it way out of proportion. First of all in 50 years there is nothing short of dynamic climate change that could cause the problems you describe.

and the major flaw within those reports you are quoting is that the report draws conclusions based on several different scientists claiming they all believe the conclusions it comes to. However the all the scientists agreed to when they completed the experiements listed in the report was the information they gathered, not necesarily the conclusions others reached using it.

frankly the problem is being blown out of proportion (though i did participate in the turning your lights off for one hour tonight). its a problem but i have problems with the fear mongering that global warming has become. now we shouldnt wait for it to become dangerous to the planet and we should do something about it now rather than later...ok im too tired to rele get into this argument (and im burned out with it as it is from arguing with other ppl about it) but ya thats my take on it...
Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it was not a threat or huge problem, I think reducing energy usage and dependance on oil is a good thing since our own breathing air is filled with toxins and oil MIGHT be drying up. I for myself cant be certain if global warming is manmade or not but I do try to do my best to reduce energy usage since its best in any case. I mean better be safe than sorry especially when it still benefits you. Thus I believe arguing about it just makes sides more adamant on their cause but if people just thought with their brains.

Anyway, what do we lose anyway if we play along even if you didnt believe in global warming? When its starting to really affect your rights then you can start arguing but so far I havent seen anything bad come up. At least here in Finland.

Also I do not know why people do accuse liberals of anything seemingly reasonable but it really is annoying. But I do know that's just my point of view so I dont go flaming people because they think different.
Conway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Decide for yourself. Reply with quote

1.) Al Gore owns a controlling stake in the company that puts out and manages carbon credits. He did several years before he made his power point presentation and won an oscar. Getting the public to care about limiting carbon emissions results in Al Gore profiting as more corporations countries and municipalities trade carbon credits. Still, this could be a coincidence. That said, the man does OWN his very own jet...

2.) When the media promotes public outcry against anthropogenic global warming, it takes focus off of other undisputed environmental issues like commercial solvents and antibiotics in our drinking water. Time will tell if this is justified or not.

3.) Google "NASA Aqua satellite". This is the most recent and accurate data on the Earth's temperature changes. It shows that the projected feedback loop of warmer temperates begetting even warmer temperates when CO2 sharply increases has not taken place. When compared with recent carbon emission levels, the data on Earth's temperature indicates the opposite: a negative feedback response where high carbon levels beget cooling temperatures. Scientists are unable to explain this at the moment.

4.) Many of the same climatologists that espouse anthropogenic global warming today, were frantically saber-rattling in the 70's about human-caused global COOLING and the next ice age. It is likely easier to get grant money if your research makes wild predictions about coming disasters than if your research simply confirms that the earth goes through climate cycles.

5.) Its not wrong for (most) liberals do everything they can to educate people about these issues. I just hope they are more objective about it than they often can be.

6.) Don't write off global warming as a hoax because you are conservative and CANNOT agree with liberals on anything. Thats retarded means that you are just blinding drink your own cool aid. Be objective and leave politics out of the debate.

7.) When someone says the "science is settled", remain skeptical.
The science has been "settled" before. Once, the world was flat,
in 1900 everything that could be invented had been, and by
1920, science had proven that it is physically impossible for a
human to run a sub-5 minute mile. settled.
When someone says that there is a "consensus". remain
skeptical. Their is no consensus in science. their is no voting. A
theory is either proven be relentlessly disproving its alternatives,
or it is unproven. Irrefutable, repeatable experimentation is the
goal.

sry for any typos.
FlyingFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're all going to die , lol, so who cares ?

what are we going to do about it ?

just stop thinking about it and enjoy your life ^^
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4