Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WGu Big Pizza

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Zoom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: WGu Big Pizza Reply with quote

Creatures
3 Aeon Chronicler
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
2 Cloudthresher
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero

Spells
3 Condemn
2 Austere Command
4 Harmonize
4 Into the North
4 Primal Command
3 Wrath of God
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Coalition Relic
3 Coldsteel Heart

Lands
2 Arctic Flats
1 Boreal Shelf
2 Brushland
1 Highland Weald
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Mouth of Ronom
6 Snow-Covered Forest
5 Snow-Covered Plains
2 Treetop Village
1 Urza's Factory

Sideboard
1 Cloudthresher
1 Condemn
1 Wrath of God
1 Detritivore
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero
2 Riftsweeper
4 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 Soltari Priest
1 Wispmare
2 Loxodon Warhammer

This deck was ripped from here http://www.puremtgo.com/articledisplay.asp?AID=787
with some small changes. I cut an akroma for a goyf, because i was wanting a low cc creature to find with primal command. I cut the maindeck warhammer for another cloudthresher. I changed the sb to more of a toolbox to take advantage of command's search. The original deck had more detritovore and 4xeyes of the wisent sb. The vores are ok, but I haven't been playing against a lot of blue spells on my turn. This deck has been a lot of fun to play.

I'd welcome any ideas on the deck, especially if you've played something like it. Especially welcome are ideas for silver bullets to search for with command.
DaveK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing that deck for around 3 weeks and I found that 10 mana accelerators is too much for me. I cut 2 of them (hearts) in favor of 2 more o-rings which helps with Garruk. Also, I skipped the red splash - 1 mwonvuli on your weald can suddenly leave you with dead cards in hand for the rest of the game.
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does this beat control.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it does. I have been playing against it and losing the two last saturdays. The lifegain is too hard to overcome. However, control should have a good matchup against it, but I don't have the cards to make one. The immense carddrawing engine with Chronicler and Harmonize would make the game though for control as well, though - not walkover.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, having tested 8 games (uw lark against that list) against a good player (not mwsplay.net, they ALL suck), and going 4-4 I think (lost the league games 1-2, we played 5 more XD)...

I can tell you EXACTLY how it beats control, assuming that we're not talking about counter control, which most control decks aren't right now anyway.

The deck has a downright CRUEL mana denial base. 4 Primal Commands, and 4 Acid Mosses post-board against control is fairly devastating. Curving into a turn 3 acid moss and a turn 4 primal command, which is not only possible and painful, but very possible, if not particularly COMMON per se, is a solid anti-control play. Command also lets you fetch a generally very nasty hoser (thresher or crovax), or a chronic, or post-board, a detritivore. Did I mention that mana denial hurts control?

Maybe I didn't. Mana denial HURTS control.

When I was testing the lark matchup with this guy, 7/8 games (the post-board ones), it came down to who could hose the other's mana the fastest and the longest. The issue of course was that my mana hosing came down a turn slower in venser and riftwing, while he was curving into an extra land and me being out one, then flipping another land onto the top of my deck and fetching detritivore. this happened five times, and I only got out of the "lock" twice, and one of those two times I still lost, because he had so much tempo on me. also, resolving garruk and making a buncha 3/3 dudes with a suspended detrit and a 7/7 on board helped.

Overall, I've got a few suggestions for the deck, but I'd like to say it definitely has a lot of potential, and is probably a serious contender.

Anyway, my suggested list:

Creatures
3 Aeon Chronicler
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
2 Cloudthresher
4 Tarmogoyf

Spells
3 Condemn
4 Harmonize
4 Into the North
4 Primal Command
4 Wrath of God
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Coalition Relic
2 Garruk Wildspeaker

Lands
2 Arctic Flats
1 Boreal Shelf
2 Brushland
1 Highland Weald
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Mouth of Ronom
6 Snow-Covered Forest
5 Snow-Covered Plains
2 Treetop Village
1 Urza's Factory

Sideboard
1 Cloudthresher
1 Condemn
2 Detritivore
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero
2 Riftsweeper
4 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 Soltari Priest
1 Wispmare
2 Loxodon Warhammer

This is somewhere in the vicinity of what I played against, and it's solid. Try it.
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There just HAS to be room for at LEAST 1 Harmonic Sliver in the board. Come on.
boeda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played against a similar deck with my Doran.dec, chameleon was a good silverbullet in the matchup. I can imagine you add 1 maindeck as a late game 16/16 finisher or at least 1 in the side.. In my opinion that's better then a single priest.

gl testing
MilanG[GER]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBur Ramp is far better at doing what this deck is supposed to be in every possible aspect
thedarkness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of pointing out how useless that comment was, I'll just say this instead.

THEY'RE THE SAME DECK, JUST DIFFERENT VARIATIONS.

Edit: and for the record, the priest is to tutor up and stick a warhammer on against burn.
Distance

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest cutting condemn for Judge Unworthy. It has the same effect, but you can cut into the card you need next faster
floreskiller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except Judge Unworthy is unreliable and costs 1 mana more with basically the same effect since you don't care about the other player's life total anyway while you're beating down with 7/7's.

1 Tarmogoyf? o.O
Zoom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'm trying out the colossus, and another goyf maindeck. I don't think I'm going to go to a full playset of the goyf tho. Goyf's all about doing unfair things for 2 mana, while the deck is more about doing unfair things with more than 4 mana Razz The main reason the one goyf is in is to give me a play if I need a creature the turn I play command. I've considered harmonic sliver...but then I had a mental picture of my opp's changelings crushing my relics and o rings. He's definitely a guy to keep in mind if artifact mana makes a comeback. I've never played the deck with b instead of w, but it seems pretty tempting to tutor for shriekmaw and mournwhelk. Profane is better than austere too.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1