Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My UG Control List

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
McRishel42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: My UG Control List Reply with quote

Hey, I built this on magic-league about 2 weeks or so ago and hit Top 8/12 in two different Standard trials with it. I also about a week ago went out and bought most of the real life cards to make the deck, and won last Friday's Friday Night Magic in my area (faced Red Deck Wins, Rogue, Mannequin, and Goblins). But I still think if I would want to bring the deck to any real competition that it still needs tweaked, and possibly is still missing something. So any suggestions?

Lands
8 Island
5 Forest
4 Yavimaya Coast
3 Treetop Village
3 Faerie Conclave

Creatures
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Epochrasite
4 Wall of Roots
4 Mystic Snake
3 Troll Ascetic
3 Venser, Shaper Savant
2 Birds of Paradise

Spells
4 Cryptic Command
4 Rune Snag
3 Remove Soul
2 Garruk Wildspeaker

Sideboard
3 Evacuation
3 Sower of Temptation
3 Cloudthresher
2 Krosan Grip
2 Pithing Needle
2 Loxodon Warhammer

So mostly I guess I'm looking for some help on the sideboard, because unfortunately neither green or blue have very much for it. So any suggestions or flames about how much the deck sucks are welcome. Razz
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck looks like it needs a few more three drops, Id definatly cut one of the many four drops for the fourth troll asetic which ever one you have found weakest in your testing.

Maybe even main deck a loxdon warhammer as a random one off alot of good deck builders seem to do that as its such a strong card vs aggro and ok vs control.

Also you have an abundance of 2 drops and Im not certain epochasite quite makes the grade anymore. Mulldrifter could be a nice addition for it instead as it does give you something to do on turn 3 and is never a bad card.

Jace berelen possibly in the sideboard for control mirrors or trickbind for ds (just in case) that all I can think of that would be worth testing on here or something.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree mostly with Trotsky, but I'd also add:

possibly dropping 1-2 manlands, and maybe running only treetop villages as a 4-of

adding Chameleon Colossus, because that card is amazing.
jazzbat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you have a lot 4 drops, but I think Masked Admirers might be a decent 2-of
McRishel42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think having 4 Cryptics and 4 Mystic's are kind of high, I might drop a Cryptic possibly but I don't think adding a fourth Troll would help the deck because 3 has been more than plenty in testing. Epochrasite and Wall of Roots kind of play similiar roles as they both block early game aggro why I sit back and counter the best spells. Possibly Mulldrifter, I'll have to think about that one. I have Ohran Vipers in my rl version as another 3 drop, which is amazing in the deck. Epochrasite is good in the deck as it comes back as a 4/4 that is usually a lot bigger than most aggro's creatures. And Darkness, what do you mean dropping 1-2 manlands and adding Treetop Villages....Treetop Village is a manland?!? And no offense, although Colossus is amazing in a lot of decks, this deck never has the extra mana to pump, it always wants the mana for counters.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll keep everything in mind. =)

[Edit: I have also tried one or two Masked Admirer's in my early testing just to see if they would be good but Mystic Snake and Cryptic's kicked the Admirer out of the deck very early.]
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birds of Paradise seems kind of random as a 2-of. It is a either 4 or 0 card. However, if you up it to 4, it nevertheless seems quite random as you have so few 3-drops. Ohran Viper seems like an auto-include, and as Epochrasite is the weakest card in the deck, along with Evacuation, I suggest taking them out - early blocker or no.

-4 Epochrasite, - 2 Cryptic Command

+2 Birds of Paradise, +3 Ohran Viper, +1 Garruk

Dropping Snake and Venser at eot (or as counter) then overrunning with Garruk seems like your main win strategy. Tweaking the deck so that it does that more often should be your main task here.
McRishel42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first made the deck I had 4 Birds instead of Wall of Roots, but then I tested and found Wall of Roots was better because of the blocking and you could add the green the turn you play the Roots(to save mana for counters), so I took out the Birds completely. Then I found it needs a the mana acc so I put 2 Birds in, but yes it feels and looks awkward.

I like your suggestions the most because they actually make sense, and most of them would probably work. I might test Viper instead of Epoc, but for Garruk, I wouldn't add another because he's not really needed for the deck, and having 3 just takes away from mana you need for counters. Thanks again.
Mirage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should try out experiment kraj.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except that its not t2
McRishel42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if this was an extended list, that's an off the wall and strange suggestion that I pretty much guarantee I wouldn't use. Good try though...or something.
rubbaducky42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cut Snakes before cutting Commands. Also have you thought about putting the Pickles lock and Primal Command in the deck for more gas against control?
And Evacuation seems kind of random. There are better anti-aggro cards.
McRishel42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Evacuation is random, thats why I'm asking for help for my sideboard mostly. I was possibly thinking Serrated Arrows might be good, or maybe even run Desert as a 2 of in the sideboard for aggro, because this deck has no problem against control, but sometimes can scoop to aggro if the opp's deck is too quick.
ElectricS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly Dodecapod?
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try loxodon warhammer vs aggro
Mirage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deck doesn't have any 6 drops. Experiment Kraj fits the slot perfectly. You can drop him on turn 5 with a birds, which is perfect because the deck doesn't have any 5 drops either.

GG.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2