Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you remember all cards?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
artificer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Do you remember all cards? Reply with quote

I am a newbie on MTG and there is something that disturbs me. Given that there are so many cards you guys actually memorize most of them or you just read them while you’re playing? By the way I like limited formats over constructed ones. I don’t know if that affects the answers but I mention it just in case.
Avata

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say I know 100% of the cards, but probably 99.5%. If you play a lot of games (even limited) the cards start sticking with you - especially the tournament worthy ones (even if they're "limited" worthy). For example, I can quickly remember Pegasus Charger and Skittering Skirge, both fine cards in Saga Block Limited, but I had to look up the details on lilting refrain.

Then again, if you didn't play during Saga Block, you probably don't know the cards.

Keep playing - you'll be surprised at how much you pick up. Until then, don't be embarrassed to have to ask to read a card.
JDude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 99.5% is probably about right for me too. I just look at the cards in spoilers when they come out and draft a lot and you pick it up. Most of the ones you play a lot come quickly and are memorable, but old junk commons and obscure rares are hard to remember. I also have trouble before ravnica because that's as far back as I have consistently drafted.
Thorns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.5% is way off. Unless you've played since '93 and keep using the old sets frequently, you'll forget the random crappy cards.

No one memorizes all the cards, you only have to know the ones that will be played. In Limited however, the more knowledge of the set, the better off you'll be, simply because you'll know what to expect and what to take against it. Playing Limited is significantly harder for that reason
For example, Vintage is the format with the most cards, all of them with a few exceptions. However, roughly 90% of the printed cards don't and probably never will show up in that format.

In Limited, the card pool is smaller, but your choices will depend greatly on what else is avaible in that card pool.
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about 99.5% of the cards SINCE MD Block. And maybe 30% before.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, beeing godly, knows and sees everything. Amen Razz
Seriosuly, i know em all Sad except artwork + flavortext, which hasnt been a feature in Apprentice for too long.
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people dont know every card but you dont need to, most people just know the metagame for the formats like ext and know which cards are played in what deck and so on.
Avata

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorns wrote:
99.5% is way off. Unless you've played since '93 and keep using the old sets frequently, you'll forget the random crappy cards.

Meh, I play a lot of limited, and I've been playing since Revised was the current set. I'm sure I don't have un-cards memorized or all the obscure creature-type-update style errata, but from Goblin Shrine to Boris Devilboon, I'm confident in my 99.5% Razz

(Aside now that I'm feeling nostalgic: Thank God for Wizards and their current attention to limited - I don't miss Ice Age Starter + 2x Homelands booster + Chronicles booster at all.)

(Second Aside: Okay, maybe I do remember smashing face with Vaevictis Asmadi and miss it just a little.)
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you play a lot of limited you start seeing cards so frequently that you memorize them almost out of accident. If you play a format straight since the prerelease you find that you learn the cards well. for example it's been 1 month since the prerelease and our group could recite the set for a week or two. one of us gets bored drafting and reads flavor text... he can recite card names from flavor since kamigawa. incredible.

playing limited increases card recognition.
JarheadL337

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not so much memorizing as it is becoming familiar with.
The more you just play around, the less you'll have to read cards. It comes natrually.
HUNGTACTICS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25% here.. I dont even know all the t2 cards
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pheonix foundation basically made there money memorising print runs for limited so knowing the card is'nt all of it. I can still pretty much remember the ravnica uncommons print run now.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1