Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Red Burn.. in T2, can it work?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
XSquad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Mono Red Burn.. in T2, can it work? Reply with quote

First here is the list:

Land (23):

4 Keldon Megaliths
3 Mutavaults
2 Scrying Sheets
14 Snow Covered Mountain

Spells (30):

4 Shard Volley
4 Sudden Shock
2 Molten Disaster
4 Incinerate
4 Rite of Flame
2 Browbeat
4 Pyroclasm
2 Incendiary Command
4 Shock

Creatures (7):

4 Keldon Marauders
3 Countryside Crusher

SB:

3 Pithing Needle
4 Cyroclasm
2 Manabarbs
2 Stuffy Doll
2 Akroma, Angel of Fury
2 Shunt

Well the sideboard clearly needs work. Yes, the rite of flame is an unusual choice and maindecking pyroclasm is unusual. But, with the large amount of faerie and tribal decks pyroclasm works wonders. This deck has crushed agro decks, has lost to G/R mana ramp (a close 2-1) and has done a decent job vs control (beat UW blink 2-1, ate up a teachings, haven't played pickles though). I'm asking for constructive advice, opinions, and whether this decklist would be viable for real life standard tourneys.
BALLA_STATUS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srry, but 1 word... no
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every see the cards:

Story Circle
and
Imperial Mask
ebbitten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could work, but not without adding some extra element to it, like dstorm did
ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay.

Cut all the shitty cards that don't do anything. Like browbeat and incendiary command. Pyroclasm doesn't do much either. If its not killing your opponent straight up then it doesn't belong in the deck.

// Lands
4 [FUT] Keldon Megaliths
14 [CS] Snow-Covered Mountain
4 [MOR] Mutavault

// Creatures
2 [FUT] Tarox Bladewing
4 [10E] Spark Elemental
4 [10E] Mogg Fanatic
4 [PLC] Keldon Marauders

// Spells
4 [LRW] Tarfire
4 [10E] Shock
4 [TSP] Sudden Shock
4 [TSP] Rift Bolt
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [MOR] Shard Volley

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [TSP] Mogg War Marshal
SB: 4 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [FUT] Molten Disaster
SB: 4 [10E] Cryoclasm

Edit: I just threw the list together to answer your thread but i just 9-1ed my friend running the uw revelark deck.

I'd prob cut some of the lands that make generic mana too. Not all of em, just a few.
ebbitten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to cut cryoclasm seeing as its not t2 legal, and add pithing needle
diablo2666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebbitten wrote:
you might want to cut cryoclasm seeing as its not t2 legal, and add pithing needle

cryoclasm is 10 and coldsnap, so why the fuck shouldnt it be legal Very Happy?
ebbitten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my apolgies, didn't realize it had been reprinted, i would still find room for needle in the board however.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind reprinted, Coldsnap is still legal...
dickburns88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebbitten wrote:
my apolgies, didn't realize it had been reprinted, i would still find room for needle in the board however.

just wow
XSquad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, pithing needle is in the board (theres 3). Second, I added dead/gone to the board and got rid of shunt and stuffy. Third, with all the rogue and tribal decks out there, it seems like pyroclasm is a necessity (after all a merfolk deck won a t2 trial recently). Finally, rite of flame seems random but it offers mana accel and has won me games. Finally, tarox bladewing is a great card but it really ups the curve and sometimes is not useful. Incendiary command acts as a finisher most of the time or gets played early due to rite of flame. I just beat a UW blink, haven't lost to one yet, go figure.
Noobsauce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=977463

Here's a link to an entire thread about this archtype as well
as ways to improve it.

Hope it helps
stew19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebbitten wrote:

LOL. Sorry but, since when is coldsnap not T2 Legal? If it was cycled out already, which it hasn't, than it would be in 10th which is still T2. lolz
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 megaliths seems like much, maybe going - 1 megalith - 2 tarox + 3 browbeat (to chuck norris list) because is a good card in this deck due to the 5 damage or drwaing 3 more cards (most of the time would be a land and 2 burns = 4/5 damage)

about the SB i am not sure because the tormod's crypt would be only good if reveillark and reanimator decks become more popular, if aggro/aggro-ish decks like elfs and/or kithkins and faeries gets more popular we should add martyr of ashes/sulfurous blast (together with molten disaster)

PS: i said this without any testing however is the same strategy (an most of the same cards) of mono red burn from current Extended wich i did tested
Mute

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono red Burn will not work in standard right now, but red deck wins is going really strong. It's fast. When there is no obstacles its turn 5 always adn sometimes turn 4.

Here is the decklist i run at my local FNM. Where Kyle Sanchez plays. Figures you might know him considering everyone talks about him on this forum.

Land: 22
18 Mountain
3 Zoetic Cavern
1 Pendelhaven

Creatures: 23
4 Greater Gargadon
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Mogg-War Marshall
4 Keldon Marauders
3 Emberwilde Augur
4 Countryside Crusher

Other Spells: 15
4 Shard Volley
4 Incinerate
4 Rift Bolt
3 Ghostfire

Sideboard: 15
4 Pyroclasm
4 Sulfur Elemental
3 Wheel of Fate
3 Fury Charm
2 Loxodon Warhammer

I would have Mutavaults in there but i am broke till friday. but i went 3-0-1 drop because of work and got two straight second places the week before that. Losing to kyle both times and his d-strom. I swear that guy stacks. you cut his deck wherever and he still draws to lotus blooms!! you can't beat god draws like that.
Anyway the zoetic caverns work plenty fine, along with ghostfire to finish off a player who pumps out a story circle. And country side crusher when you draw him is just bad ass. No more land just creatures and burn its definately a must in mono red.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2