Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is William Spaniels new list any good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Will 52 rare pickup be any good?
the Nut high
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Maybe
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
the Nut low
62%
 62%  [ 15 ]
too freakin' expensive
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

Avata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two reasons, really.

First being that (honestly) the deck doesn't really need it. The mana base is actually pretty smooth.

Second (and probably more importantly) it doesn't work as well as it looks like it should. The most difficult cards to cast in the deck are Doran and Countryside Crusher, and Primal Beyond doesn't help with either of those. The mana base is tight as it is, and adding Beyond actually makes it harder to cast those highly relevant spells.
m3lk0r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add smokebraider to help you with the Shriekmaw's.
Anyway my opinion is that this isn't a deck.This is just good cards together.It seems like u opened your album and pick all the good rares to sleeve them and play.
Good luck with your experiment though.
Avata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m3lk0r wrote:
You can add smokebraider to help you with the Shriekmaw's.
Anyway my opinion is that this isn't a deck.This is just good cards together.It seems like u opened your album and pick all the good rares to sleeve them and play.
Good luck with your experiment though.

It's pretty basic theory - once you realize a deck is capable of playing any color spells essentially without penalty, a fair place to start is by playing all the best spells in the format.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a horrible curve.
JeZeus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the deck some credit, I played against Avata while he was using it. The deck isnt that bad but it seems like its only impressive when it gets your standard doran.dec starts. . . with that being the case why not just doran.dec or that goodstuff deck??? Not only that it is also very dependent on the birds it seems, so early spot removal is bad for the deck. Magus of the moons scoops the deck period.
Avata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more thoughts.

1. Magus of the moon is indeed bad. As a result, I've put pyroclasm and tarfire in the sideboard - both reasonable cards to have in some matchups.

2. I've also dropped Garruk and the shirekmaws in favor of Goldmeadow Stalwart and Flamekin Bladewhirl, which are both great 1 drops and helps the curve out a lot.

That said, ultimately I don't think I like the deck. It is very powerful, and very difficult to stabilize against. However, not being able to react to anything my opponent does just goes against my personal style of play, so I'll probably move on to another deck. It is interesting though, that you can easily get away with a 4-5 color card pool in this format. Chameleon Colossus and Nameless Inversion are fine cards, and if you wanted to go the control route Crib Swap is available and is only marginally inefficient.

It seems pretty clear that the 5 color control shell is there (possibly running coalition relic, as well), I'm just left wondering if there's any real reason to move in that direction. Some of the best blue (Cryptic Command and Teferi) demand too heavy of a blue commitment.

I guess Doran.dec could splash for pyroclasm, but it doesn't really seem necessary.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2