Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UBG Good Stuff

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: UBG Good Stuff Reply with quote

Main Deck
4 Eyeblight's Ending
4 Cryptic Command
4 Rune Snag
4 Cancel
4 Ancestral Vision
4 Tombstalker
4 Sower of Temptation
4 Shriekmaw
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Underground River
4 Terramorphic Expanse
7 Island
4 Swamp
1 Forest
4 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard
4 Pithing Needle
3 Deathmark
4 Krosan Grip
4 Thoughtseize

Is this proof that a random collection of good prime cards can win in Standard?

Discuss...
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a similar deck except it plays only islands so it is better.

UBG good stuff

20 Snow Covered- island
4 Desert
2 Mouth of Ronan
4 Cryptic Command
4 Rune Snag
4 Farie Trickery
4 Ancestral Visions
4 Remove Soul
3 Teferi
3 Guile
4 Phyrexian Ironfoot
4 Mulldrifter
BlueMage22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, as the guy who threw that pile of cards together I can basically say that you hit the nail on the head.

I viewed Standard as a highly underpowered format with really only two decks worth thinking about in this particular metagame. Faeries and Mana Ramp. Although similarities between the two decks are admittedly fairly minimal, I do think they share a vulnerability to high quantities of removal and answers.

So, in my attempt to build a deck that would be both fun to play and competitively viable, I threw together the most powerful creatures I could think of, the best removal spells available, and made on concession to the metagame by playing Cancel over Faerie Trickery.

However, I did make two noticeable mistakes in the construction of the deck. First, the manabase is missing at least one or two lands that would help it be more consistent. Namely Urborg and River of Tears. I think the mana ratios are good, but more duals and fixing would undoubtedly help. The second mistake was the Krosan Grip slot in the board, which should've been either Damnation or Nameless Inversion.
Counterlife

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When I try the list I think I'm gonna go something like this:
-2 Eyeblights Ending
+2 Venser
-4 Cancel
+4 Riftwing Cloudskate

Venser is too good to deny, cloudskate > cancel IMO."

Eyeblight is straight removal. Venser is a mini Time Walk. Its far better to kill a Faerie than bounce a random perm. Also, same for cancel. His metagame choice was far better in that it played lots of removal and Tombstalker to take advantage of his card outlets. Aside from that, it seems like a "One-hit wonder" but it remains to be seen.
aceben3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"4 Tombstalker"
sold.
JeZeus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha that deck rocks, Im totally sold on just about any 3cc deck. Its just goes to show if you put tarmogoyf in a deck, your chances of winning increase dramatically.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1