Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PTQ San Jose

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
Circa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: PTQ San Jose Reply with quote

I am posting this because I am excruciatingly bored, and it may help someone decide what decks to play this season, and what to look out for.

I decided to play UR Tron, because it is all I could possibly build. I didn't get at sleep the night before, and had to leave Reno at 4 am. When I got there, I had to pay $10 for a Crucible of Worlds, $10 for 2 Trash for Treasure, and $8 for a Platinum Angel just to play.

I went 5-2-1. Round 1 played against Tarmoburn... Bad matchup that I should have lost. The guy was really fucking bad at the game, though, and let me draw it. He is on Turn 4, with me at one life. The best I can possible do is pull a draw. He suspends Rift Bolt, and says go. Worst mistake ever. THEN he asked my life, and almost cryed, he was so mad.

Round 2 I played against the Intruder Alarm Elf combo thing. PLAYEd right into my Pyroclasms and Fire//Ice, and I manage to like 3 for 1 him 6 times, then stabalize. I won 2-0.

Round 3 I play against a very shiny Doran deck. The guy is a great player, and had a lot of money. G1, he makes a REALLY bad mistake when he Vindicated my Duplicant not noticing the Ruins in my yard, then playing Doran. Game 2, he got stuck on 1 land until turn 4, and I was too far ahead.

Round 4 I played against a mid-range Rock deck. After stabilizing G2 with Repeal and Fire//Ice, I manage to set up with Titan, taking out most of his land. Game 2, I had a turn 3 Sundering Titan, destroying his land base, and he scooops.

Round 5 I played against the eventual winner (I think), playing the UG version of my deck. Game 1, I get Crucible/Ghost Quarter really early, and he can only Moment's Peace for like 8 turns to not die. Game 2, he gets early Slaver lock and wins. Game 3, I play Angel, and he only has 2 ways to remove it. The game goes on for eternity, until he plays Venser to try to bounvce my Angel. I Trickbund the ability, and he says go. At this point, for the next 9-10 turns, I need to either draw 1 of 4 Gifts, a Mindslaver, or a Demonfire. I Thirst 3 times during this, and couldn't get it. He eventually draws his other Venser and wins.

Round 6, I play against Affinity. By this round, I am basically in a coma. I lose G1 fast, and G2 I have a timely Recall, and Slaver Lock him with his Ravager on board. G3, I make a REALLY bad mistake by trying t Recall, knowing he had Plating in Hand (dropped his hand), tapping out. He Delays it, plays Plating, and won. I should have waited until he tapped ou to Recall, giving me the option to Condescend the Platin.

Round 7 I play against Tarmoburn AGAIN. I AM still a zombie, and did not expect to win, and really didn't care. Luckily, he was the worst player in the room, and Games 2 and 3 I manage to Bottle Gnomes/Ruins both games, keeping me alive until a Titan hit the board, or Slaver lock for the win.

Round 8 I play against GB Deathcloud. His deck was really too slow, and I won the match without much problem. Condescended his Death Cloud both games, then Slaver locked.

I don't know what place I finished, because we all REALLY needed to get back to Reno, but i was a fun event.

Somehow I missed playing Dredge at all, which is fine with me, but it wasthe mostpopular deck. Followed by Tarmoburn, then Doran, then Affinity.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you happen to know the top 8?
da_penguin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be cool to see ur decklist
Circa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't stay for the Top 8. We were all very tired.

And I'll put up the listin a minute. It was last minute, and a VERY bad version.
Circa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the list I played.

Like I said, I didn't decide to go until 10 pm the night before, and had to gather EVERY card before that, so it isn't exactly what I wanted...

// Lands
4 [GP] Steam Vents
1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
4 [AP] Shivan Reef
3 [9E] Urza's Mine
3 [9E] Urza's Tower
3 [9E] Urza's Power Plant
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [OD] Petrified Field
1 [MR] Seat of the Synod
3 [FUT] Tolaria West

// Creatures
2 [PS] Flametongue Kavu
1 [MR] Duplicant
1 [MR] Triskelion
1 [MR] Platinum Angel
1 [DS] Sundering Titan

// Spells
1 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
1 [MR] Mindslaver
2 [MR] Chrome Mox
2 [GP] Repeal
1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
2 [MR] Trash for Treasure
4 [GP] Izzet Signet
4 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
4 [FD] Condescend
4 [CHK] Gifts Ungiven
4 [AP] Fire/Ice

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [PS] Flametongue Kavu
SB: 1 [MR] Mindslaver
SB: 1 [DS] Sundering Titan
SB: 3 [10E] Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
SB: 3 [MR] Bottle Gnomes
SB: 1 [10E] Razormane Masticore
SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
Quantumdemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo bobby, I missed you there! I saw Charlie and Kenny but didnt think to ask if you came since Chris missed the PTQ =\

Good job on your finish. It was the worst PTQ result I ever had and had to leave early. But yeah, I didnt see Doran once, saw intruder alarm twice, dredge once, Mononblue shackles, and two affinity decks. There seem to be red decks everywhere I was actually shocked at how much aggro showed up considering Nor-Cal player's propensity for piloting blue decks.
Circa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, that sucks. I meant to look for you, and didn't think that Charlie and Kenny would know you...

Do you have a beard? I might have seen you talking to themm.

I was the little scene kid with his girlfriend sittin begind him the whole time.
Quantumdemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I probably saw you and your GF, I've got a goatee and a mustache and was dressed in all black with some DC's on and a black dickie's jacket.
Eldar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool gj man I just played in PTQ Butler and faced 2 doran, 3 next level blue, a death cloud, and an elf opposition (no alarm) and ended up 5-1 after 6 rounds. So I know exactly how u feel about playing the same decks over and over. I was really surprised I didn't see any tarmoburn or dredge or affinity all day especially since dredge was at the top tables with me a lot, but the other 2 weren't. Anyway then I lost in the last round cuz my opponent couldn't draw in and I lost to turn 3 opposition lock games 1 and 3. Ahh well ended up 9th and also I pulled the no sleep and was pretty much in a coma in the last couple rounds. Again gj and nice deck.

P.S. I was playing GWb Astral Slide.
Delicious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow sucks to be you

get some sleep next time and maybe you won't build a pile
Circa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks to be me, huh? This "pile" got me to 11\4th place, out of 230+ players.

What are your normal standings?
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deliciously pwned.
Circa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, were you talking about the Tarmoburn uy in Round 1? He really was a nice guy. Had he been any better, though, I would have lossed. Somehow I played through 2 Blood Moon.
Circa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tell him I said hey and sorry about it. But that's how you get better.
Circa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I know. =]]

We've been together almost a year now.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2