Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you do this time?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: What would you do this time? Reply with quote

You are playing against what you know to be to be Wafo Tapa’s deck list from world’s (listed below) you have never played your opponent before so have no idea of his skill level, it is game 1. You are playing UB faeries and are on the play. You lead with a secluded glen revealing a cloud sprite, then playing the cloud sprite. Your opponent plays a underground river on his go and passes the turn. On your go two you drop a snow covered island, attack with the cloud sprite and pass the turn. Your opponent plays an Urza’s factory on his go and taps two mana for a coldsteel heart, your hand is pestermite, pestermite, snow covered island, rune snag, cryptic command. What do you do if anything? (please post even if what you would do has already been posted as an answer and include reason’s.)

Wafo Tapa Techings

1 Academy Ruins
3 Urborg Tomb of Yawgamoth
3 Unerground river
4 Dreadship reef
1 Urza’s factory
4 Tolaria west
4 Snow Covered Island
4 River of tears
1 Triskelavus
1 Teferi Mage of Zhalfir
3 Aeon Chronicler
1 Wyden, the Biting gale
4 Cryptic Command
3 Mystical Teachings
4 Damnation
2 Tendrils corruption
4 Careful Consideration
1 Slaughter Pact
4 Coldsteal Heart
2 Pact of negation
4 Colation relic
2 Pithing needle

UB Faeries kcomedina

4 Underground River
2 Snow Covered swamp
4 Faerie Conclave
1 Pendelhaven
4 Secluded Glen
4 River of Tears
5 Snow Covered Island
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Scion of Oona
4 Pestermite
4 Cloud sprite
3 Mistbind Clique
3 Nightshade Stinger
4 Oona’s Prowler
3 Thought Seize
4 Rune snag
3 Cryptic Command

I will post what I would do and why in 24 hours.

Last edited by OldBear on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune Snag the Heart. Control relys on mana, stop it.
da_penguin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rune snag it then next turn pestermite his river on his upkeep. why do people make these what play would you do here things on easy plays, make a complicated board position for once.
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Rune Snag the Heart. Control relys on mana, stop it.

if i didnt have a command i would let the heart resolve as i need 1 counter in hand vs wafo's deck imo

but i don't consider my self the best aggro-cntrl player so im not sure if it would be rite >.<
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snag it for a couple reasons:

a- u are playing a tempo deck. aggrocontrol wants to stay ahead long enough to develope a board that it can defend after.

b- u have no other threats. if u let him ramp out he can let your 1/1 hit him all day and win counterwars and u wont have another threat ever.

c- u have further disruption. gamplan looks very easily like tap his lands in upkeep. if he burns counters then he wont be developing anything else and you're good to roll with cryptic command next time u drop a creature. 2 creatures punching with cryptic backup should be gg if theyve burned 2 counters.

tempo decks, aka aggro-control... want to get a small lead and ride it to victory, while also adding slightly to their lead whenever possible (play a 1drop faerie with 2 mana untapped)
control decks want to see as many possiblities as possible. some use ramp some use card-draw... but the goal is options. negating those options = A+ as long as you cna keep it up
FR33BALLA247

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you spell stutter sprite the coldsteel heart DUH[/i]
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I was expecting bit more variance in people’s play here but it seems that everyone is set on countering the coldsteel heart. Normally I would not agree, in a deck with flash creatues I would save my counters for bigger more powerful spells however I have never played faeries and general consensus probably tells me I’m wrong on this.

However my reason for countering the coldsteel heart is something everyone missed the fact that the second land played in such a colour intensive deck is a urza’s factory is a good indication your opponent has a land light hand. In fact it’s almost certainly his last land so it becomes an even better play to counter. There is a small chance it could be a bluff and his hand is nothing but mana ramp but its unlikely when you both have no idea about each other as players. There is also the small chances your opponent is such a bad player he is not conscious of the colour intensity of his deck and simply carelessly played out the Urza’s factory but most of time when this happens this early it’s your opponents last land. So that’s why I would rune snag the coldsteel heart.
MilanG[GER]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snag it

then smite him in his upkeeps twice

for once as you said he's quite posisbly screwed on color aswell as lands

even if you consider him to bluff something like that first you gotta think about the reasons he should want to bluff something like that ( --> make you waste counters while he holds solid mana in his hand )

but with the double smite i would've probably even countered it if he had a colored land

this is a great hand to get some solid dmg in before your opp can even assemble meaningfull mana and by then you drew a few more cards aswell and got command online

obvious play
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1