Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCTGN 2.0 Updated Sept 2009 - Superior to Magic Workstation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software

Have you tried out the newest Sept 2009 release of OCTGN 2.0 yet?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 20

Bigshow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well multiplayer isnt a sanctioned tournament format, and people can host drafts.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are progam holes fixed? Last time I looked it had a ton of holes and could eaisly be hacked.

its open source>>>I feel this is a problem
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sir, should work in advertisement. Seriously, outside of the fatal flaw of over advertising this program's one true flaw, your post was brilliant. The double topic aside too.

Plenty of paragraphing to keep it from being too long.

Quote:
Full complete multiplayer support - No more are you limited to the monotonous format of dueling. Any multiplayer format that you know of, OCTGN fully supports, emperor yep, draft yep, two headed dragon yep, free for all yep, five color yep, mental magic yep! The number of players that can play is only limited by how many you can fit on your monitor before you start having to squint.

It was all good, best part was bolded. You have true skill my friend.

Quote:
It looks insanely good and runs incredibly well, and it's super intuitive to boot - Better than Magic Online, Way way better than Magic Workstation, the feature set of OCTGN combined with the intuitive simplicity of Apprentice.

selling to all audiences. Seriously. I'm inspired.

Sadly the program isn't as good as your post. See that little open source thing is it's downfall.

Open source, even encrypted means that someone can script into the program. Not adding a feature to the program but adding something that would interact with it. Any programmer can now build cheat programs to effect the level of play making OCTGN a unsafe program to play in any real tourney.

-----

also my friend, you can't play mtg on that version as its locked to a single game: Blue Moon. Oh and better: MWS currently has more features on it. Such as the ability to play tokens.

And why did you post this same thing in the T2 forum?
KeySam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open source doesnt realy mean, it can be hacked more easy. It depends highly how its programmed. If you need a server for example(not being able to direct connect), a lot of things can be done from the host. Also you can run "version" checks, to see if your game is the same as the other, of course that would be more easy to go around. But still, dont judge to quickly cause its open source. Although i didnt tested it yet, or looked at the code.
YTheAlien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClarkKant wrote:
It is an alpha release which is why it's still locked to blue moon but other than that, it's perfect.

So other than the fact that it doesn't play Magic: The Gathering, it's a great MTG program. Gotcha.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTheAlien wrote:
ClarkKant wrote:
It is an alpha release which is why it's still locked to blue moon but other than that, it's perfect.

So other than the fact that it doesn't play Magic: The Gathering, it's a great MTG program. Gotcha.

LOL Zing!
rdeg87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess get back to us in a couple of months when the program is finished. I must admit I am intriged, mostly by the draft aspect.
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeySam wrote:
Open source doesnt realy mean, it can be hacked more easy. It depends highly how its programmed. If you need a server for example(not being able to direct connect), a lot of things can be done from the host. Also you can run "version" checks, to see if your game is the same as the other, of course that would be more easy to go around. But still, dont judge to quickly cause its open source. Although i didnt tested it yet, or looked at the code.

open source DOES mean people can hack it easier, as you can't hack something that you can't see the code too which is why for the longest time ML had programmers but no way to update Apprentice.
If the user is given the source code they don't even need to manipulate it, all they need to do is build a separate program to interact with it. Similar to BW or hamachi this would merely be a port that the information that goes between programs goes through.
Think of it as a train. Your program is a station and you send your train through a railroad to another person's "station." Now think of bw or hamachi as a stop between the two stations. If your train stops there and comes back to you, you wouldn't have a clue. And better yet if your station did a "version check" on the other station, it'd come up normal(if not edited from the cheat program) because his station is the exact same as yours.
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdeg87 wrote:
So I guess get back to us in a couple of months when the program is finished. I must admit I am intriged, mostly by the draft aspect.

Yes, because we dont already have a draft program...

( http://www.magic-league.com/download/netdraft.php )
rdeg87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but going on that logic newer and better programs would never be developed or used and we would all still be playing with Apprentive v.1

Im well aware of Netdraft but it is not without fault, and a better program would be welcomed, especially one that you can draft and play with.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is very exciting news indeed, anyways a couple of things...
1: I haven't had time to check out how the program acts yet but if it allows the user to hosts games and it's open source this is a problem, if it's a server side program, meaning to prog noobz that all the functions such as seeing which cards are in opponents hand, what order of cards are in library, and all random value generations are handled on the server instead of the user AKA client, then it should be pretty hack resistant.
2: It's still Alpha, so it maybe ready to handle M-L league games (mostly we just need to get people using it to see all its bugs so they can be worked out) but Alpha means it's still in dev. so it may be a while before the whole league switches to it, but it's inevitable we would eventually switch to something given the current best prog is so twitchy.
3: Back to point #2 unless people start using this so all the potential bugs can get worked out it's gonna be a real slow process until it becomes the de-facto program, so basically the quicker you use it the quicker it will get good enough to use all around and trump MWS (in theory).
4: Now all that said I have to go DL it and try it out to see how good the interface is, which really will determine if it will ever catch on, that and all the potential downfalls I already listed, but I felt needed to be addressed seriously because I doubt any of the other people have any idea what they are talking about except the one who said something about the server side computations.
Craze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NahHolmes wrote:

2: It's still Alpha, so it maybe ready to handle M-L league games (mostly we just need to get people using it to see all its bugs so they can be worked out) but Alpha means it's still in dev. so it may be a while before the whole league switches to it, but it's inevitable we would eventually switch to something given the current best prog is so twitchy.

outside of the fact that it can't host mtg yet...
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just finished DLing it and was like, WTF? Looks like that and the fact it took like 15 mins. for the .NET patch to install will be the first stumbling blocks.
KeySam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:

open source DOES mean people can hack it easier, as you can't hack something that you can't see the code too which is why for the longest time ML had programmers but no way to update Apprentice.
If the user is given the source code they don't even need to manipulate it, all they need to do is build a separate program to interact with it. Similar to BW or hamachi this would merely be a port that the information that goes between programs goes through.
Think of it as a train. Your program is a station and you send your train through a railroad to another person's "station." Now think of bw or hamachi as a stop between the two stations. If your train stops there and comes back to you, you wouldn't have a clue. And better yet if your station did a "version check" on the other station, it'd come up normal(if not edited from the cheat program) because his station is the exact same as yours.

To the first bold lined, wow i wonder where are the hacks from all public games come from. Now a bit more serious, having the program code is obviously good for someone who wants to cheat, all i said if its written right it doesnt make it easier.

The second bold lined, thisway you could goaround a version check(although Hamachi is something completly different), the problem is if ClarkKant is right and the host makes all the math,
its almost impoisible to cheat from the client, since you would need to hack into the server. Of course it totaly depends on how its written, but people that say omfg its open source, its soo easy to hack, just dont realy know what their talking about.

KeySam
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the whole issue of this league never using this even if it was a great program. Whatever GO is called now would be the leagues choice considering the ties to the programer.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7