Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exploring La La land.: What YOU'RE playing.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

What are your thoughts on Morningtide in Standard?
Its GRRREEEEAAAAT.
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Meh, I'll wait till it's legal to form my opinion.
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
It's not what I hoped for.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Whats morningtide?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

Craze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Exploring La La land.: What YOU'RE playing. Reply with quote

One of my friends used to look for girlfriends in a rather creepy stalker way. He'd look at other guy's girlfriends, watch their relationships. Then if he liked what he'd see, he'd move in all swift breaking the couple up and then get rejected himself.
I tell you now this is a very egotistic and awful way to meet girls. However not that bad of a way to find potential new decks.

This is indeed a time of curiosity, similar to a monkey discovering a new toy, us the players have got 150 new toys and whether we play extended, standard, limited, or eternal it's all the same.
It's a time of new cards, new control, new aggro, new combo. New interactions and new dreams and hopes. We have indeed entered one of my favorite parts of magic.

Now hold on a blip. If my favorite part of magic is discovering cards, then why am I writing this and the following. Well quite simply, my favorite part of magic is NOT discovering new cards. See whether you realize it or choose to participate in it, the seeds of a new metagame are being planted. New tier 1s are being discovered, new jank being thrown out and process we know as the race for the next big thing is indeed happening before our eyes. It's this that I as a proud and enthusiastic netdecker adore about magic.

So before continuing I would like to say the following three things...

If you do not play morningtide, all the power to you. Some just wait till its legal. My patch is pretty much dead on for those of us that do play, but everyone has their habits and if you truly do not wish to jump the gun as some of us I ask you read no further. I do not need people telling me anything like wait two weeks or such. Thats just wasted space.

If you are like my old friend EG, a hardcore roguedecker that scorns all netdeckers as unoriginal pirating jackasses. I ask you too read no further. I'm not going to engage in semantics on netdecking with you.

And finally if you are some jackass flamer please stop here. Congratulations on actually reading this far as I know it was hard for you. But seriously, ask yourself, why does anyone want to hear your flames? 99% of you are not witty in any sense and no one giggles at your idiocy.

Now on with me goings.

The following are netdecks, yes that means they were copied off the net. Sick thing this leagues hidden clause is. If you play in ANY mini, your deck is copied and posted for the world to see. These are what you are playing. And why I think you are indeed playing them...

Good old UG Aggro/Control
// Lands
4 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
6 [LRW] Island (1)
5 [LRW] Forest (1)
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
4 [MOR] Mutavault
3 [FUT] Horizon Canopy

// Creatures
4 [10E] Birds of Paradise
4 [TSB] Wall of Roots
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [TSP] Vesuvan Shapeshifter
4 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
2 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
3 [LRW] Mulldrifter

// Spells
4 [CS] Rune Snag
2 [10E] Loxodon Warhammer
3 [TSB] Psionic Blast

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [TSB] Psionic Blast
SB: 3 [TSP] Brine Elemental
SB: 4 [FUT] Riftsweeper
SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 2 [TSP] Thelonite Hermit

This is from my my favorite Morningtide mini hoster: Drjester. HHH1 also has been seen wielding it. Others might exist. I don't care, cause none of them have the record that this one does.
I remember alot of UGs since I started playing. The first being Crystal Witness. Since then UG has mostly been Counter Aggro. With this deck what you see is what you get. Big old beaters like Chameleon Colossus and goyf beat you unconscious with the help of blast, sower, and garruk.
This I suppose is the deck for all those people who saw Colossus and flipped out by its broken synergy with Garruk. And by the looks of how Drj has been winning, I'm going to say people were right. Colossus is one tough cookie.

A Worlds original: BG Elves
// Lands
6 [LRW] Forest (1)
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
4 [10E] Treetop Village
4 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 [10E] Llanowar Wastes
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 [LRW] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
1 [LRW] Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
4 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
2 [LRW] Dread
4 [10E] Civic Wayfinder
3 [LRW] Masked Admirers
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
4 [LRW] Imperious Perfect
4 [LRW] Wren's Run Vanquisher
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves

// Spells
4 [LRW] Profane Command
3 [LRW] Eyeblight's Ending

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 1 [10E] Viridian Shaman
SB: 1 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
SB: 2 [TSB] Stupor

This is used by one of the better players here: p_dadi03. While I highly doubt he copied anything off worlds, I'd like to point out that we auto know BG elves have a future as they did t8 worlds. This deck beat me 2-1 yesterday and while I personally would never play elves period, they do indeed have potential. This deck 360'd strategy on me. It came in game 1 with an elf beatdown strategy. Then totally unsuspectingly emptied my hand game two with super discard. Totally throws one off having your opponents offenses change in the sideboard. However I think the big thing that really beat the shit out of me wasn't the elves but the Cloudthresher.
My overall assessment is that elves have a bright future if you can stomach the pointy ears. *shivers*

Rg Greater Burn...err The Great Burn...hmm perhaps offtrack Mana Ramp?
// Lands
10 [LRW] Mountain (1)
2 [TSB] Pendelhaven
2 [LRW] Forest (1)
4 [MOR] Mutavault
4 [10E] Karplusan Forest

// Creatures
4 [TSP] Greater Gargadon
4 [MOR] Countryside Crusher
4 [PLC] Keldon Marauders
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [TSP] Mogg War Marshal
4 [10E] Mogg Fanatic

// Spells
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [TSP] Rift Bolt
4 [LRW] Tarfire
2 [10E] Threaten

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [10E] Threaten
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [FUT] Riftsweeper
SB: 3 [LRW] Eyes of the Wisent
SB: 2 [10E] Loxodon Warhammer

Heikki runs or ran(not sure which) this deck when I first encountered it. This was a few days ago of course. I've actually however came across it again and again. This Standard version of the pesky extended RG BurnGoyf deck, runs what I would call basic burn utilities. Marshall, Fanatic, plenty of burn. Hell throw in Ensnaring Bridges and burn won't have changed all that much in 3-4 years.
However this deck is not without its uniqueness. Greater Gargadon while not new to the scene is a newer toy burn decks have been abusing since TS. And of course theres are favorite green splash beauty: Tarmogoyf.
However what has me salivating is the loads of potential shimmering off our newest toy: Countryside Crusher. A burn's best friend: A topdeck filter.
One more thing I'd like to add is several versions of this deck love the 3R enchantment Manabarbs. Why? I don't really know. A while ago it did cost me a game, but I can't see that being a good lategame strategy which is probably why Heikki left it out...

The late, the great: Blink
// Lands
4 [10E] Terramorphic Expanse
4 [10E] Faerie Conclave
4 [FUT] Nimbus Maze
4 [TSP] Island (4)
4 [10E] Plains (4)
4 [10E] Adarkar Wastes

// Creatures
4 [MOR] Reveillark
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
4 [TSP] Riftwing Cloudskate
4 [PLC] Aven Riftwatcher
4 [MOR] Vendilion Clique

// Spells
3 [TSB] Psionic Blast
4 [10E] Mind Stone
4 [10E] Wrath of God
4 [TSP] Momentary Blink

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [TSB] Teferi's Moat
SB: 3 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [10E] Windborn Muse
SB: 3 [TSB] Dodecapod

If you haven't read 3 dozen threads about this allow me to fill you in on exactly why Blink decks are being drooled over. It's a card called: Reveillark. One of the few good new evoke cards, Reveillark helped sort a problem Blink had called: late game. This card in my opinion is the best thing to come out of Morningtide. Throw it out, blink it at the end of your opponent's turn bringing back some of our favorite bouncers and ta da. 8 damage to the head and total board control. But thats not all. Look at the cards insane synergy with Wrath of God. Clear the board and restore two creatures on your side. If thats not board control. I don't know what is.
The build of this deck of course is massively controversial. While some of us prefer simple 2 colors. Others deem the risk in adding Black or Red to the equation and often reliving the old UWR Blink Rider phenomenon. Some prefer Body Double. Others like Epochrasite. And while the build is always different the results are not.

What you woke up lying next to in the morningtide: Yep it was a Faerie.

// Lands
4 [10E] Faerie Conclave
5 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 [10E] Underground River
4 [LRW] Secluded Glen
2 [FUT] River of Tears
3 [LRW] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
3 [LRW] Mistbind Clique
3 [LRW] Pestermite
4 [LRW] Scion of Oona
4 [LRW] Spellstutter Sprite
4 [LRW] Oona's Prowler
1 [LRW] Wydwen, the Biting Gale
4 [LRW] Nightshade Stinger

// Spells
4 [CS] Rune Snag
3 [TSB] Psionic Blast
2 [LRW] Cryptic Command
2 [10E] Terror
3 [MOR] Bitterblossom

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [10E] Flashfreeze
SB: 2 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 3 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
SB: 4 [TSB] Stupor
SB: 4 [10E] Deathmark

Dcek from: Batutinha
Whether you run Green/blue, black/blue, or all three. Faeries have been here since Lorwyn block began. And oh by the way, not much has changed with Morningtide. Still we see the collection of everyones favorite little winged demons: Prowler, Scion, Nightshade, Clique, Pestermite, and Spellstutter. But now we also see their enchantment brother Bitterblossom. Bitterblossom also being a new tool in RB decks, definitely has players asking "is the reward worth the risk?" Personally I say neither the reward or risk is going to make much of an impact against a solid deck, but in a faerie deck it does boost the card's overall potential. Cause now not just are we making black winged rogues but also giving them +1/+1 and shroud and having them add to the spellstutter's faerie count.
I've always had a harsh opinion towards the three color and UG brothers of this deck, as UB is traditional. Plus none have really been doing so well as for me to find a mini win, so I'll leave the rest of this story for Scryb Ranger enthusiasts.

A Rogue Deck...no I mean quite literally.
// Lands
4 [MOR] Mutavault
2 [CS] Mouth of Ronom
15 [CS] Snow-Covered Swamp

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Squeaking Pie Sneak
4 [MOR] Prickly Boggart
4 [MOR] Stinkdrinker Bandit
3 [MOR] Earwig Squad
3 [MOR] Frogtosser Banneret
4 [LRW] Nightshade Stinger

// Spells
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [MOR] Noggin Whack
3 [TSB] Bad Moon
2 [MOR] Morsel Theft

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MOR] Earwig Squad
SB: 2 [10E] Distress
SB: 4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
SB: 4 [TSB] Stupor
SB: 4 [10E] Cruel Edict

Deck from: BusDriver
Rogue Goblins, Rogue Faeries...it's all the same damn thing. Decks using the Prowl mechanic. However the colors tend to always change. UB, RB, and as above mono black versions of this deck have been flooding the minis since Morningtide began being played(a week or so ago xD). And while these have new and exciting potential, very few have risen to meet the general expectation. My honest opinion: is MBA is the way too go. But your not gonna halt the floods of determined blue and red aggro players out there. Hell no!!!
However my fascination with the deck is its ability to cranial extract my ass very early on with a sweet little number named Earwig Squad. This my readers is the poster child for the prowl mechanic. Not just is it a potential 5/3 for 3cc(2cc with banneret), but it's ability kicks control in the balls.
For 3cc a rogue player gets to look at what your deck has to offer. Steal 3 cards from that, and all while throwing out a 5/3 powerhouse as early as turn three. Good God thats a beautiful and very deadly turn three play.

And that my kids is all I have for you right this moment. As my browser wears thin. I will update new decks to netdeck and prepare for as you play them. So keep on reading and playing minis.

Till then...

-TomW

Last edited by Craze on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Avata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, TLDR.

I still voted though (I'll wait until the set comes out to form my opinion) because your opening paragraph was a hilarious lead-in.
Craze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avata wrote:
Honestly, TLDR.

I still voted though (I'll wait until the set comes out to form my opinion) because your opening paragraph was a hilarious lead-in.

wtf does TLDR stand for? Wtf do you have to use acronyms on a post? Are you that lazy?

EDIT: Too long didn't read....yes I guess you are THAT lazy.
Avata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:
Avata wrote:
Honestly, TLDR.

wtf does TLDR stand for? Wtf do you have to use acronyms on a post? Are you that lazy?

It stands for "too long, didn't read."

Also, note that you used two acronyms in your post, and didn't capitalize the beginning of one of your sentences. What are you, lazy?
Craze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avata wrote:
Craze wrote:
Avata wrote:
Honestly, TLDR.

It stands for "too long, didn't read."

Also, note that you used two acronyms in your post, and didn't capitalize the beginning of one of your sentences. What are you, lazy?

Yes... Yes I am.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:

EDIT: Too long didn't read....yes I guess you are THAT lazy.

You mean "Too Lazy Didn't Read"? lol

My friend and I went to the pre-release to play some two-headed giant. We ended up going with a mono white Kithkin deck and a ub Rogue deck. I really don't see why people dropped the blue and gone straight black. In the pre-release, my buddy and I ended a game with Notorious Throng. Swung, got 15 damage to go through. Prowled Throng, got 15 1/1 fliers and an extra turn. GG. I realize this is highly unprobrable in constructed, but blue has some good rogues and the new Impulse.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tip of the iceberg. the set is amazing limited and amazing constructed.
there's great things in store for every format.
deckbuilders rev your engines.

flavorfully written article, i like the cadence and rhythm. well done.

but a troll asking to not troll... comically approached and made me Smile but seriously. judge not lest ye be judged yourself/look in the mirror
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkisstador wrote:
tip of the iceberg. the set is amazing limited and amazing constructed.
there's great things in store for every format.
deckbuilders rev your engines.

flavorfully written article, i like the cadence and rhythm. well done.

but a troll asking to not troll... comically approached and made me Smile but seriously. judge not lest ye be judged yourself/look in the mirror

Well first of all thank you. Secondly my reputation may be scarred from my past doings, but I assure you I put my flaming days far past me. I haven't really flamed a thread in a good long time. And if i can stop so can everyone else.
In other words a person is only as good as his latest action and that puts me in the positive.
Ggerg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, like how last night my alcoholic father told me he hadn't had a drink in 2 weeks
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ggerg wrote:
ya, like how last night my alcoholic father told me he hadn't had a drink in 2 weeks

Quote:
And finally if you are some jackass flamer please stop here. Congratulations on actually reading this far as I know it was hard for you. But seriously, ask yourself, why does anyone want to hear your flames? 99% of you are not witty in any sense and no one giggles at your idiocy.
dt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:

In other words a person is only as good as his latest action and that puts me in the positive.

actually, not necessarily Smile

e.g. suppose I go out and murder 13 people. Then I stop and help an old lady across the street, sending her on her way with the last $100 in my wallet...

Your statement limits how good you can be, without actually implying posession of a higher state of goodness.

so... to sum up, if people still hate you, you're still screwed Rolling Eyes Surprised Very Happy
FR33BALLA247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this
thread
is
shit
thanks
to
trolls
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1