Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maralen of the Mornsong, post morningtide deck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
lennin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing
Vermelho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea sucks more than lennin's playing skills.
lennin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my play skills are good so that doesnt mean much, i just like to talk shit online.
FR33BALLA247

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lennin wrote:
my play skills are good so that doesnt mean much, i just like to talk shit online.

wow, what a great comeback
lennin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasnt trying to make a comeback retard just a statement.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you can always search for cards that can help you to stall the game and let Maralen slowly kill your opponent. Counterspells might be the best way, so that you can protect Maralen and avoid your opponent of ever playing anything. This strategy might not be very good at aggro, but it is just an idea. I'm sure that there are other strategies, but I leave those thoughts to other people, other than jackasses that didn't even tried a deck like this and are saying that it sucks Exclamation
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lennin wrote:
i wasnt trying to make a comeback retard just a statement.

and he rests his case about liking to talk shit.
plusua

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Run U/B, counter/discard/creature removal. Running Draining Whelks, Venser Savants, Tendrils to gain lost life, Damnation for board sweep, Extripate for added security. The idea being leave your opponent with no hand and counter whatever he fetches.
billjoar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marelan = sulfuric vortex that doesnt prevent life gaining...
She's a terrible card, just use sulfuric vortex and a bunch of kill and counters if that the effect youre trying to get out of her...
JDude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miralen needs a new name. Maybe Miralen of the Have a WoG, or Miralen, Incinerate Target. Seriously, who isn't going to answer this girl as soon as she hits the board. I think in a burn deck she could work but she will always give an answer to your opponent that loses tempo or card advantage and it will barely ever be worth 3 life.
Kytep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not yet convinced that Maralen will be competitive, but I also think she is worth more consideration than she seems to currently be getting.

Consider for example that, if your opponent just searches up some removal and gets rid of Maralen immediately, then every time you play Maralen (or bring her back, perhaps via Grim Harvest or Makeshift Mannequin, etc.), your opponent is spending his/her draw phase just getting rid of Maralen instead of doing whatever else they really want to do with their deck, while losing 3 life each time.

Granted, you probably won't want to play Maralen in a weenie deck, especially against decks that could pack Wrath or Damnation. But consider a situation where the board is clear (perhaps you just Damnationed), and you play Maralen.

Your opponent loses 3 life, gets Incinerate, burns Maralen.

You draw, cast Mannequin to bring Maralen back.

You draw, cast Grim Harvest, cast Maralen again.

And so on. Do you see how, in effect, every time you bring out (or bring back) Maralen, the game goes into a standstill, with your opponet (but not you) losing 3 life per turn?

Or, if they don't get that Incinerate (or whatever) to kill Maralen right away and decide to let you take 3 life for a turn or two, you can get Tendrils, Mind Shatter, Damnation, O-Ring, burn, etc. - whatever neutralizes what they just got, which again, is effectively back to the standstill. Even if your opponent just gets burn to throw at you instead of Maralen, if there's a Tendrils target around (and that target could even be Maralen if timed correctly), you can easily come out ahead of that race.

Kytep
dt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure, maralen lives in a U/B control deck...

And could Colfenor's plans finally have a use?

(I didn't mean that to read like I was suggesting that colfenor's plans belongs in a control deck Embarassed )
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maralen is immense in a Rack Discard deck.

You play The Rack and discard spells until the opponent is out of cards. Then you play Maralen. Opponent lose 3 life in upkeep, then another 3 in draw, and even though he manages to kill Maralen, I get another turn while, guess what, The Rack is up for another 3, then 2, then 1 damage.

That is at least 12 damage. If the deck is aggro with creature based discard (rogue, rats, specter etc) in mono black, Bad Moon could be worth a slot - if you have Bad Moon in play as well at the point you play Maralen, and she is a 3/4 creature - then the situation could be very difficult for the opponent indeed.

I wouldn't rely on her, though. She is a finisher and should be sided out against burn decks and other decks that are faster than any Rack Discard deck. Her cannot-draw-ability can be useful vs control. But discard decks have a good time vs control anyway.
Kytep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:
Maralen is immense in a Rack Discard deck.

You play The Rack and discard spells until the opponent is out of cards. Then you play Maralen. Opponent lose 3 life in upkeep, then another 3 in draw, and even though he manages to kill Maralen, I get another turn while, guess what, The Rack is up for another 3, then 2, then 1 damage.

That is at least 12 damage. If the deck is aggro with creature based discard (rogue, rats, specter etc) in mono black, Bad Moon could be worth a slot - if you have Bad Moon in play as well at the point you play Maralen, and she is a 3/4 creature - then the situation could be very difficult for the opponent indeed.

I wouldn't rely on her, though. She is a finisher and should be sided out against burn decks and other decks that are faster than any Rack Discard deck. Her cannot-draw-ability can be useful vs control. But discard decks have a good time vs control anyway.

One of my first thoughts about Maralen was discard, but I've found the Morningtide T2 environment to be so aggro-heavy that discard doesn't seem to stand much of a chance. And trying to make a deck split between discard and control (e.g., 4 Racks, 4 Thoughtseizes, etc., plus 4 Damnation, 4 Tendrils, etc.) seems difficult to make work.

Also, Maralen's effectiveness drops considerably when your opponent starts to get the upper hand. It smells a bit like a "win-more" card, not one that so much helps you get the advantage in the first place.

But damn, is it sweet to keep re-using Profane Command on Maralen, targeting your opponent. Or, if they're dumb enough to let Maralen live, keep getting Tendrils or even a Mind Shatter Smile

Kytep
floreskiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whyareyourunning3Urborginadeckthatonlyhasonecolor?
There are better cards to play than Maralen. I suppose if you want to play around with it you can. But the truth is, you will lose to better people.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2