Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thorns of Amethyst...is is effective out of the sideboard?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it a lot against MBC but generally in T2 you run so many lands that it can be worthless. With Garruk in the game so much its kinda...meh Razz
denvermagic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i ran it it felt like it should be something better. I only liked it when i had 3 in play at once. Rolling Eyes
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from the control perspective, but when ever ive had it played against me ive found it to be ineffective.
Counterlife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only seems to want to work in say MGA. Paired with Root Maze, you can fuck a game plan up royally. First turn birds, second turn root maze and Thorn. Or First turn Elves...even better.
Mihealsick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played standard since nationals, so I'm more than a little out of touch with the new strategies...

But I don't think I'd side in Thorn of Amethyst against a control deck, that seems like a poor investment of a card and your mana.

How well does it thwart the Dragonstorm decks though? Do they scoop to it? Do they have any answers? Or does it just hurt their feelings a little and they still go off?
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it may not be very good in Standard. In most other formats it is a strong card. In Legacy and Vintage it is a backbreacking play on turn one. Backed up by Force of Will with one mana open on turn one of course. I think that it may be one of the best anti combo cards in the game.

This card alone gives true aggro decks a fighting chance vs combo decks like Grim Long and Gush-A-'tog. On the other hand it also gives true control decks like 43 Land game vs the combo decks.
lennin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its an 8th spere of resistance for stax in t1
FR33BALLA247

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're all idiots, thorn is insane. i win every fnm and i maindeck it
FR33BALLA247

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crushes any sort of storm combo by itself, and is pretty much a time walk against control removal.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking the same think. I belive that this card was created to "fix" the storm decks. I guess that they don't really care about the other combo deck, Dredge.

Hmm GB aggro with Thorn and Jailer in the main... That was me thinking.
FR33BALLA247

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredge isnt in t2 retard, this is the standard forum
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1