Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

legendary rule vs. ability

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
[PT]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: legendary rule vs. ability Reply with quote

Howdy all!

i've come across with an unusuall situation, at least for me. Picture this:

my side:
Liliana Vess 8 counters
10 SnowCovIslands

opponent's side:
1x Korlash
12 B lands (w/ Urborg)

I play Liliana's ability and come into play 1 Korlash, 2 Big Game Hunter, 2 Draining Whelk and 1 Rimefeather Owl.

Question: Can i trigger the Hunter's ability on my opponent's Korlash or, as soon as the one in the gy comes into play, is the legendary rule applied?

Thnx for reading,
Cheers
lennin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hte big game hunters will go on stack but bth korlash will die
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a label for that called pre-priority processing.

anyways... here's how it acts out. all guys come into play simultaneously. before priority windows open, the game state checks for inadequacies. it sees big game hunter in play and so he triggers. it also sees 2x korlash in play so it will clean that up. before it does tho, u can select all targets of killing to go at korlash.
draining whelks try to go on stack too but find no targets.

now the BGH effect goes on the stack, but korlash x2 die with it on stack from legend rule. big game hunter's ability no longer has a valid target so it fizzles.

aka yes u get to keep your rimefeather owl and whelks and both korlash's die.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronjeremyjr is right.

Triggered abilities go on the stack only after SBE's are checked. You can not choose the Korlashes as target for the ability of the Big Game Hunters.
Gorbadoc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard and Ron are right. For anyone who cares enough to read it but not enough to look it up, here's the rule (I've emboldened the crucial bits):

The Rules wrote:
408.1b Spells and activated abilities are played by players (if they choose) using a system of priority, while other kinds of abilities and effects are automatically generated by the game rules. Each time a player would get priority, all applicable state-based effects resolve first as a single event (see rule 420, “State-Based Effects”). Then, if any new state-based effects have been generated, they resolve as a single event. This process repeats until no more applicable state-based effects are generated. Then triggered abilities are added to the stack (see rule 410, “Handling Triggered Abilities”). These steps repeat in order until no further state-based effects or triggered abilities are generated. Then the player who would have received priority does so and may play a spell or ability, take a special action (such as playing a land), or pass, as governed by the rules for that phase or step.

As has been said, the Legendary Rule is a state-based effect while Big Game Hunter's ability is a triggered ability.

Conkisstador, calm down. There's no mention of "pre-priority processing" anywhere in the official rules.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1