Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GW aggro-control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Don't you just love akroma?
Yes!!!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
hell yeah
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
I hate vegeterians
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

YWNightmare

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: GW aggro-control Reply with quote

It has lots of draw, it can go aggro and it can go control, only tested it against Mannequin and i owned it, no chances really. Well you try it out and tell me something =)

Lands:
4 Brushland
3 Treetop Village
7 Plains
9 Forest

Creatures:
2 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Masked Admirers
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Ohran Viper
4 Birds of Paradise

Spells:
3 Wrath of God
3 Harmonize
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Condemn
4 Search for Tomorrow

Sideboard:
SB: 3 Eyes of the Wisent
SB: 3 Mystic Enforcer
SB: 3 Quagnoth
SB: 3 Cloudthresher
SB: 3 Naturalize
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: GW aggro-control Reply with quote

Domainus wrote:
It has lots of draw, it can go aggro and it can go control, only tested it against Mannequin and i owned it, no chances really. Well you try it out and tell me something =)

Lands:
4 Brushland
3 Treetop Village
7 Plains
9 Forest

Creatures:
2 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Masked Admirers
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Ohran Viper
4 Birds of Paradise

Spells:
3 Wrath of God
3 Harmonize
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Condemn
4 Search for Tomorrow

Sideboard:
SB: 3 Eyes of the Wisent
SB: 3 Mystic Enforcer
SB: 3 Quagnoth
SB: 3 Cloudthresher
SB: 3 Naturalize

Birds of Paradise + Wrath of God doesn't really go well together. Condemn isn't very good when you are on the attack, which the deck attempts to do. I think Temporal Isolation suits your purpose better than those two. As do Loxodon Warhammer. So cut 3 wrath, 3 condemn. Add 4 Temporal Isolation, 2 Loxodon Warhammer. This will take away the control aspect of the deck, though. In any case GW are not good control colours.
MaksymG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say aggro, you are implying there are some aggresive creatures. You have 4 trolls and 3 treetop villages. Personally I think doran is not very good but in your deck he might be worth considering as you have vipers and birds. Overall it seems more controllish although I will grant you that given turn 1 birds turn 2 troll and a treetop or a garruk to follow up you might be able to take down some decks aggro style. Having said that the WoGs seem to be out of place. It seems like if you are using WoG you either have something on the board an they have something bigger in which case it is bad, or you are in a position where you don't have the creatues and are being killed by opposing aggro which is also not very good given that your deck does not have reach in the form of burn (can akroma be considered reach?) and so opposing aggro decks will probably win if they can get some early dmg through and start forcing your WoGs especilly if you have creatures out as well. I have tested a similar archetype although the major difference was that I did not have WoGs and harmonizes and instead had teeg and goyfs. The deck functions fairly well as an aggro one being able to drop teeg and start hitting or boarding in eyes of the wisent and start hitting. At the same time it stacked up very well vs other aggro because the quality of your creatures is so much higher than mogg fanatic and keldon marauders. I have not played with akroma and it seems like you beat the aggro anyways, while the control will just say counter draw a card, but if you have tested it and it works then go for it and play it. The sb seems fairly well suited towards the meta with the only change I would propose being replacing the naturalize with krosan grips, in most situations it is irrelevent however with you running 23 lands plus 4 searches and 4 birds you will be hurt less by the extra mana than you will by the lack of split second at times. I will post a decklist of mine that I have been working on. It is an aggro control list in the purest sense of the archetype so take a look and figure out where you want to go with your deck. Hope this helped.

// Lands
1 [UNH] Mountain
2 [10E] Karplusan Forest
1 [10E] Brushland
2 [UNH] Forest
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
5 [UNH] Plains
3 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
4 [FUT] Grove of the Burnwillows
2 [10E] Treetop Village

// Creatures
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
2 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
4 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker

// Spells
3 [TSP] Search for Tomorrow
4 [10E] Wrath of God
4 [PLC] Harmonize
2 [10E] Condemn
3 [PLC] Boom/Bust
2 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
2 [LRW] Austere Command
4 [LRW] Fertile Ground

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [PLC] Boom/Bust
SB: 4 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 1 [TSP] Saffi Eriksdotter
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 2 [LRW] Brion Stoutarm
SB: 4 [LRW] Eyes of the Wisent

The only thing is the Brian in the SB, I originally had him there for aggro but the deck does not seem to lose very much to aggro anyways so perhaps it is better replaced for some quagnoths or the like. Anyhow good luck with your deck.
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaksymG wrote:
When you say aggro, you are implying there are some aggresive creatures. You have 4 trolls and 3 treetop villages. Personally I think doran is not very good but in your deck he might be worth considering as you have vipers and birds. Overall it seems more controllish although I will grant you that given turn 1 birds turn 2 troll and a treetop or a garruk to follow up you might be able to take down some decks aggro style. Having said that the WoGs seem to be out of place. It seems like if you are using WoG you either have something on the board an they have something bigger in which case it is bad, or you are in a position where you don't have the creatues and are being killed by opposing aggro which is also not very good given that your deck does not have reach in the form of burn (can akroma be considered reach?) and so opposing aggro decks will probably win if they can get some early dmg through and start forcing your WoGs especilly if you have creatures out as well. I have tested a similar archetype although the major difference was that I did not have WoGs and harmonizes and instead had teeg and goyfs. The deck functions fairly well as an aggro one being able to drop teeg and start hitting or boarding in eyes of the wisent and start hitting. At the same time it stacked up very well vs other aggro because the quality of your creatures is so much higher than mogg fanatic and keldon marauders. I have not played with akroma and it seems like you beat the aggro anyways, while the control will just say counter draw a card, but if you have tested it and it works then go for it and play it. The sb seems fairly well suited towards the meta with the only change I would propose being replacing the naturalize with krosan grips, in most situations it is irrelevent however with you running 23 lands plus 4 searches and 4 birds you will be hurt less by the extra mana than you will by the lack of split second at times. I will post a decklist of mine that I have been working on. It is an aggro control list in the purest sense of the archetype so take a look and figure out where you want to go with your deck. Hope this helped.

// Lands
1 [UNH] Mountain
2 [10E] Karplusan Forest
1 [10E] Brushland
2 [UNH] Forest
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
5 [UNH] Plains
3 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
4 [FUT] Grove of the Burnwillows
2 [10E] Treetop Village

// Creatures
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
2 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
4 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker

// Spells
3 [TSP] Search for Tomorrow
4 [10E] Wrath of God
4 [PLC] Harmonize
2 [10E] Condemn
3 [PLC] Boom/Bust
2 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
2 [LRW] Austere Command
4 [LRW] Fertile Ground

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [PLC] Boom/Bust
SB: 4 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 1 [TSP] Saffi Eriksdotter
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 2 [LRW] Brion Stoutarm
SB: 4 [LRW] Eyes of the Wisent

The only thing is the Brian in the SB, I originally had him there for aggro but the deck does not seem to lose very much to aggro anyways so perhaps it is better replaced for some quagnoths or the like. Anyhow good luck with your deck.

thats a bad version of RGw mana ramp
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...Gaddock Teeg, Gaddock Teeg, Gaddock Teeg.

Worth losing Wrath and Garruk over.

He's all the control you need.
FR33BALLA247

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teeg isnt control dumbass, he is most clearly defined as permission
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearly defined? Kinda like how your defined as a trained chimp that can speak? Or how about just f**ktard?

Permission which you refer too, is short for Permission based Control. Permission itself is a form of Control.

Despite this Gaddock Teeg is G/W. Despite this its wrecking ball of a control-based card no matter what you call it.

Pull your head out of your ass. Or did Santa not bring you something nice?
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Defense/Offense are better terms than control/aggro.

Gaddock Teeg suits defensive decks a lot less than it does attacking ones. That is why he is played in aggro and not in control.

Including him in a deck is not an element of control, but a method of preventing the opponent from being able to defend himself with the most efficient control spells: Wrath of God and Damnation, thus forcing a tempo advantage.

Gaddock Teeg therefore goes under Offense, subcategory Tempo. ("Defending" your attacking stance isn't Defense).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1