Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blink Riders

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
AkYo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Blink Riders Reply with quote

//NAME: Blink Riders
SB: 3 Disenchant
SB: 2 Boom // Bust
SB: 2 Seht's Tiger
SB: 4 Aven Riftwatcher
SB: 4 Epochrasite
2 Shivan Reef
4 Battlefield Forge
1 Mountain
3 Plains
3 Island
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Adarkar Wastes
3 Wrath of God
4 Momentary Blink
4 Rune Snag
4 Ancestral Vision
4 Mulldrifter
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
4 Prismatic Lens
2 Numot, the Devastator
4 Avalanche Riders
4 Lightning Angel
4 Riftwing Cloudskate

Yeah an old idea.. it still works well imo
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

without duals and signets, the manabase is not good enough in a deck that wants to have all colours early.
Blah234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old deck, when Ravnica was around, used duals AND signets and there were still times where it got color screwed. Now, without the duals and signets, the following happens:

1) bigger chance for color screw
2) slower

Number 2 is a big one because this is supposed to be a tempo deck and if you're slow, then you're not going to be able to stop your opponent's deck from doing what it wants to do.
Avata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite thing about this post is the complete lack of deck analysis or personal insight of any kind.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure he was hoping you would know what BlinkRiders is and how it works. which you should.

All decks have a chance for color screw. Even Sonic Boom (ever get a hand full of Deserts/Factory?).
Memmy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the deck may get manascrewed once again, but what takes out the signets/duals is terramorhic exp. it searches for whatever it needs either island or plains, as the only red mana they need is late in the match Lightning Angel, Avalanche, Numot, therefore he has 4-5 draws before he needs red? He wont need the red so bad, he can win without red aswell, and theirs lots of opportunity for it otherwise
Ichi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemstone mine is a good card for you
AkYo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like why should I waste my time posting what the purpose of the deck does.. it is very clear.. the deck can go into aggro // control and it auto wins vs dstorm with aven in the sideboard or bounce // ld like the dstorm deck relies on their mana.. their best hand could prolly just win.. but anyway this deck can prolly beat their best hand with a turn 3 riders on the gnoll .. as for the other matchups it is pretty clear .. if you know how to play magic the gathering you should have no questions about how the deck works.. like the reason I post decks are for intelligent magic players to think about their meta and to find the best deck for it.. I don't prefer playing net decks unless it is just the nuts deck to play.. Dstorm is definitely not tier 1 after worlds because everyone is ready for it like Sonic Boom was after the grand prix.. once a deck is exposed there is no point playing it, if it is hated out... I think about all the net decks and try to find a solution to beat them.. LD seems to beat a lot of decks regardless of their draws - This meta seems very slow imo.. the aggro decks don't always win on turn 4-5 like they use to during rav block.. but meh.. the deck doesn't get color screwed too often.. I mean the pain lands hurt sometimes.. but it is rarely a problem.. it is fun times...
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend runs wur blinkriders before and after rotation. I admit before rotation it had more options to fix mana, but I still think its a good deck none the less. I think he dropped red entirely except for Lightning Angel. I don't know of he runs avalanche riders anymore. I would probrably go light on the red md, and have a sb of land destruction like Riders/Cryoclasm. Maybe 2 Bust//Boom md and an extra two in sb. It takes him a while to try out what I tell him, but in the end he ends up going my way. But I personally prefer Makeshift Command.
Craze

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when revisiting old netdecks we need to look at how other people have did it.
"Why" you say?
"I don't like net decking" you say?
well simply, you just might get some ideas you haven't considered. Mix them with ideas you have and bam. You have a better deck for it.
I went back and found some of the last UWR Control/blink decks thats won trials.

http://www.magic-league.com/deck/37764/wur_blinkriders.html#WUR%20BlinkRiders32830
http://www.magic-league.com/deck/37289/uwr_angelfire.html#UWR%20Angelfire51747
http://www.magic-league.com/deck/37309/uwr_control.html#UWR%20Control54153

Aeon Chronicler is a common theme in all three. And thats because of 2 reasons really.
A) its a draw engine
B) and a nice win condition.
My suggestion
-4 Vision
+4 Aeon

More red was also played in two of those. Siege-gang and Hellikite. Also Red Akroma.

Just fuel for the old thought process.
AkYo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronicler too slow.. it costs 5 and like mulldrifter is infy better in the deck with blink.. visions hits the curve as well
rdeg87

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but Mulldrifter doesnt turn sideways for six, it also doesnt let you resolve two big spells in one turn.

visions hits the curve as well
You are assuming visions is always in your opening hand?
The older blink decks also had access to Visions yet they didnt play it, just something to think about
Ggerg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best part: "why should i waste my time explaining what the deck does" and then spends a good paragraph talking about what it does.

there should be some type of IQ test u have to pass to not get shot (i was gonna say to post here, but lets face it, if u cant do that intelligently, what can u do?)
Blah234

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memmy wrote:
Yes the deck may get manascrewed once again, but what takes out the signets/duals is terramorhic exp. it searches for whatever it needs either island or plains, as the only red mana they need is late in the match Lightning Angel, Avalanche, Numot, therefore he has 4-5 draws before he needs red? He wont need the red so bad, he can win without red aswell, and theirs lots of opportunity for it otherwise

This is a tempo deck. You want Angel or Riders in play on turn 4 to put on the pressure. Have you played this deck before? You want red, blue and white mana on turn 4 for angel or at least red mana for Riders.

Do I need to explain what it means to be a tempo deck? The tempo of this build is way slower than the tempo of the pre-Ravnica rotation build and if a tempo deck is slow, then it kind of loses its purpose.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah234 wrote:
Memmy wrote:

This is a tempo deck. You want Angel or Riders in play on turn 4 to put on the pressure. Have you played this deck before? You want red, blue and white mana on turn 4 for angel or at least red mana for Riders.

Do I need to explain what it means to be a tempo deck? The tempo of this build is way slower than the tempo of the pre-Ravnica rotation build and if a tempo deck is slow, then it kind of loses its purpose.

Agreed. The only thing LD does, is to slow the opponent down. It is nearly impossible to keep the opponent at so few lands that he cannot play anything useful. This means that the most efficient thing a LD deck can do, is to destroy 1-2 lands, then drop a big bad threat and win the game before the opponent catches up.

Blink Riders was never a very consistent deck. It could have a great hand and autowin, but it could also do nothing. Now it is more inconsistent than ever, thanks to the poor manabase.

I would rather just go BR Rain of Tears, Smallpox, Icefall, Riders + creature removal and some big bad nasty foul-smelling Plague Sliver and stuff. Gain tempo advantage. Use it.

The sad part about this is that Discard does exactly the same thing, and is far more versatile. Counterspells also does the same thing and is even more versatile. LD without Pillage and Stone Rain is meh. Only one real LD spell at 3 mana in the format. I say no.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1