Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UW Merfolk

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

What do you think of my deck?
Good
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Decent
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Bad
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

iKe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: UW Merfolk Reply with quote

I didn't play magic for about 3 months before last week. So I just seen Lorwyn and I made this deck. I have been doing pretty good with it so far:

UW Merfolk

4 Wanderwine Hub
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Faerie Conclave
4 Plains
7 Island
4 Riptide Pilferer
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merrow Reejerey
3 Sygg, River Guide
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
3 Cryptic Command
4 Rune Snag
4 Psionic Blast
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Aquitect's Will

Sideboard
2 Sower of Temptation
3 Remove Soul
3 Disenchant
3 Dodecapod
2 Faerie Trickery
1 Cryptic Command
1 Aquitect's Will

Lord of Atlantis and Aquitects Will work really good together. A problem with the deck is that there's no 1 Mana Merfolks to play on the first turn, so you pretty much start attacking by turn 3 which makes the deck kind of slow. I don't know the metagame that well so my sideboard probally sucks.

Please give me your comments, insights, criticisms or whatever.
A_Lawn_Gnome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1cc land-type changing merfolk is pretty good, actually.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need more ways of getting through. Boomerang? The only playable 1cc Merfolk is Tideshaper Mystic. I would take out the Aquitect's Wills for him. You could also play Ancestral Visions. That way you are almost sure to have a 1cc drop, and card drawing would let you overextend with backup. Instead of Cryptic Command, you may try Voidmage Prodigy. at 4 mana, he provides a lock and a body (with a bull's eye on it). Since you don't have Blink, Venser is not very good. Boomerang does much the same for your purposes (but he is a wizard if you use VP).

4 Tidewater Mystic
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Silvergill Adept
3 Sygg, River Guide
3 Venser, Shaper Savant
4 Voidmage Prodigy
4 Rune Snag
4 Boomerang
4 Psionic Blast

38 cards

15 sb:

3 Oblivion Ring (tool)
4 Riptide Pilferer (against control)
4 Delay (against control)
4 Dandan?? (against blue lol... I like the idea of a 4/1 for UU. Why not check it out?) If it doesnt work out (which is likely), take something else in against bad matchups. Something tells me B/R would love to eat this deck.
Thorns

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to play Prodigy, I would add in 3 Summon the School, it makes Merfolk Wizards. Tidewater Mystic is good, but Aquitect's Will is still go to play with it. Pilferer is a great card, you should keep playing it. I think Boomerang over Command is better for your curve, especially if you choose to play Summon the School. I always liked Merfolk Looter, but that's just for you to choose. Good luck with the deck.

-Thorns-
jared

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played the deck and found that prodigy is almost a must seeing as how alot of your guys are wizards. def play the 1 drop mystic guy. also, i know people will flame this but, i played 2 ponder and 4 visions. ponder was always better. i'd play 4 ponder and 2 visions. visions is never a bad thing but being able to set up huge draws or the simple shuffle/draw is almost always better than t1 visions and sitting on that for the 3 extra turns. this deck wants guys fast that are 2/2's or 3/3's on turns 2,3,4. try ponder.
NEET

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think summon the school is too necessary, seeing how you already have at least 12+ wizards including the prodigy itself. Summon the school is a bit costly and is a sorcery too. Plus it only works well if you have the prodigy in play. Maybe 1 or 2 at most.

Ponder is definitely better than ancestral for this deck. visions is just too slow.

Dandan is nice secret tech haha. Tidewater mystic + dandan = dead control decks Razz Dandan would probably wreck pickles or U control pretty bad by itself.
R3wind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that he meens this.

Apos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you loose to aggro play more anti aggro in sb
jared

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've played it against aggro and it doesn't lose. a turn 1 fanatic is def a problem but after that your guys are too big due to the lords. once again i'll be flamed but it stomps aggro. you are right with more anti aggro board cards but the main deck is good enough to win.
wedgeex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a merfolk list that had several top 8 finishes in Kanagawa Japan. I personally think it is really neat but could use a little tweaking... I especially don't like 8 comes into play tapped lands, but that's not for me to fix.

The list:

4 Faerie Conclave
1 Forest
1 Gemstone Mine
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Island
1 Pendelhaven
4 Vivid Creek
4 Wanderwine Hub
4 Yavimaya Coast

4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merrow Reejerey
2 Mirror Entity
4 Silvergill Adept
2 Sygg, River Guide
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Aquitect's Will
4 Delay
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Psionic Blast
3 Thrill of the Hunt

SB:
2 Dodecapod
3 Flashfreeze
2 Pithing Needle
3 Stonecloaker
2 Unsummon
3 Windborn Muse

here is a link for those that need it:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/states07/standardkanagawa

There is another merfolk very similar to this one in the top 8 - let me know what you think!
Ownj00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, this is probably close to the best possible merfolk list. it won states someplace, and made a showing here shortly after winning a trial. i've been tweaking it with my playtest group since then. it's been tearing it up on mtgo so far. all blue based decks have shown to be favorable, altho it takes a little while to realize how different each matchup works. for instance, you play much different vs pickles then sonic boom, etc. the snow red deck is very tough, mostly due to molten disaster, but everyone has their bad matchups. RG started out rough, but some sideboard tweaks have shored it up near 50/50 now. i'll discuss that now a bit more;

zephyr net used to be sowers of temptation, but sower ended up being poor vs RG, and you dont need the extra help vs non red aggro decks or pickles (where it really shines). we realized if you can make it past the mid game vs rg you win on the backs of card advantage and multiple lords (especially reejerey taking command of the attack step). so zephyr net is really just used as a blue pacifism. when you're ready for the big turn to kill them, you either tap them down with cryptic command, tap them down with reejerey, or islandwalk with the one drop merfolk, tideshaper mystic.

any other questions on card choices i can answer if you want.

//d00ds
2 Tideshaper Mystic - curve, and late game alpha strike
4 Lord of Atlantis - obv
4 Silvergill Adept - obv
3 Voidmage Prodigy - fills the need for counters and efficient d00ds
4 Merrow Reejerey - obv, and even better then you think
2 Venser, Shaper Savant - pseudo-spell counter, major tempo gains

//spells
4 Ancestral Vision - fills the need for card advantage and 1 drops
2 Unsummon - both for tempo and to save your important d00ds
4 Wings of Velis Vel - counters removal, reejerey their attack step, surprise way to deal with fliers, often a surprise lava axe with lords
4 Psionic Blast - planeswalker control, creature removal, and reach
2 Cancel - counter suite
2 Cryptic Command - kitchen sink

//lands
1 Academy Ruins - recurring gnomes
3 Faerie Conclave - dont forget these get pumped by lords
19 Island

//sideboard
1 Unsummon - see above
4 Riptide Pilferer - control, and slower aggro/control builds
4 Zephyr Net - RG and mono red
4 Bottle Gnomes - anything with burn
2 Jace Beleren - control and black based discard
lennin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes because ur Faerie conclave gets pumped by MERFOLK lords good job retard
rdeg87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned
toguppy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lennin wrote:
yes because ur Faerie conclave gets pumped by MERFOLK lords good job retard

cause wings of velis vel doesnt give all creature types....

read cards before you make stupid comments k? tyvm...
lennin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually ur comment is stupid, i know what wings does, but he said his faeries got pumped by merfolk lords so stfu my comment wasnt stupid he just is
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2