Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting, Creatureless T2 Mill Deck, Comments

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
XSquad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Interesting, Creatureless T2 Mill Deck, Comments Reply with quote

Last Friday, this deck went 2-1 in a Friday Night Magic tourney, so I think it can go somewhere. It is creatureless and Blue/White, relying on fog and some "static" mill. Heres the list:

Land (23):

2 Vivd Creek
2 Calciform Pools
2 Forbidding Watchtower
2 Nimbus Maze
7 Island
8 Plains

Creatures:

Zero!

Other Spells (37):

4 Oblivion Ring
4 Story Circle
3 Forced Fruition
4 Jester's Scepter
3 Jace Beleren
4 Condemn
4 Telling Time
4 Think Twice
3 Traumatize
4 Wrath of God

Sideboard (This is where I have the most problems in terms of deck construction):

4 Porphyry Nodes (Anti-Agro, but do I need it?)
2 Imperial Mask (Random anti-discard tech)
3 Disenchants
2 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
2 Vesuvan Shapeshifter (Due to the popularity of pickles)
2 Teferi's Moat (To spite elves)

The sideboard definetely needs work, and this deck is relatively untested against control (beat U/B teachings, has not played pickles or the new guile deck yet). It likes agro, but hates discard a lot from what I can tell (except mono black, one story circle and they are gone). The fact that is creatureless is also a subject for debate. I would appreciate any comments about what I do to improve this deck and any matchup predictions.
shadow483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter magic maybe?
Thorns

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millstone? Whetwheel even?

Back in Masques/Invasion standard, people were terrified of the Millstone deck which, well, played Millstone to deck people. The reason I don't see this working in this standard is that even if it becomes popular or powerful, Gaea's Blessing is there to stop it. Besides, there's the Elemental Incarnations too. Oh and Legacy Weapon.

If you do want to play it though, I suggest switching the Towers for Faerie Conclaves and perhaps running 1 or 2 Laquatus. Try it out and good luck.

-Thorns-
Bozo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should definitely be running 4 Calciform Pools, 4 Adarkar Wastes, and in this deck, Wanderwine Hub is superior to Vivid Lands. You should probably run Howling Mine, and I would main deck 2 Teferi's Moat. Think Twice and Telling Time both seem really poor when you have no counter magic, you would probably be better off running slower but more powerful sorcery speed draw, like Foresee or Tidings. After looking at the list, I think that adding the scrying sheets engine would be a worthy consideration.

I suppose something like:
4 Howling Mine
4 Forced Fruition
4 Jester's Scepter
4 Jace Beleren
4 Wrath of God
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Teferi's Moat
3 Traumatize
4 Coldsteel Heart
4 Careful Consideration

4 UW Snowand
4 Scrying SHeets
4 Adarkar Wastes
2 Mouth of Ronom
5 Snow-Covered Island
4 Snow-Covered Plains

Basically, I think you should hold onto your jester's scepters unless you are about to win the game, as they are your only out to the Elemental Incarnations, Gaea's blessing, and to a lesser extent, the Green Command and reminisce.
lennin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorns wrote:

Back in Masques/Invasion standard, people were terrified of the Millstone deck which, well, played Millstone to deck people. The reason I don't see this working in this standard is that even if it becomes popular or powerful, Gaea's Blessing is there to stop it. Besides, there's the Elemental Incarnations too. Oh and Legacy Weapon.

-Thorns-

are you kidding me people were scared of that deck when the pro tour started like 12 years ago, because people were so scared of playing vs millstone when they can play rebels or fires, learn wat you are talking about.

Last edited by lennin on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozo wrote:
I think you should definitely be running 4 Calciform Pools, 4 Adarkar Wastes, and in this deck, Wanderwine Hub is superior to Vivid Lands. You should probably run Howling Mine, and I would main deck 2 Teferi's Moat. Think Twice and Telling Time both seem really poor when you have no counter magic, you would probably be better off running slower but more powerful sorcery speed draw, like Foresee or Tidings. After looking at the list, I think that adding the scrying sheets engine would be a worthy consideration.

I suppose something like:
4 Howling Mine
4 Forced Fruition
4 Jester's Scepter
4 Jace Beleren
4 Wrath of God
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Teferi's Moat
3 Traumatize
4 Coldsteel Heart
4 Careful Consideration

4 UW Snowand
4 Scrying SHeets
4 Adarkar Wastes
2 Mouth of Ronom
5 Snow-Covered Island
4 Snow-Covered Plains

Basically, I think you should hold onto your jester's scepters unless you are about to win the game, as they are your only out to the Elemental Incarnations, Gaea's blessing, and to a lesser extent, the Green Command and reminisce.

I love how you suggest Caliciform Pools, but then don't use it yourself xD.
Bozo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it, and I think going Snow is better than pools anyway, so whatev dog, whatev.
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lennin wrote:
Thorns wrote:

-Thorns-

are you kidding me people were scared of that deck when the pro tour started like 12 years ago, because people were so scared of playing vs millstone when they can play rebels of fires, learn wat you are talking about.

maybe it was because I didn't play back then, but wtf is rebels of fire?
RThomas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like most of these decks of late fall into two general categories, proven and unproven
Holzi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just normal UW Control?
I think mill is not competitive.
a 2-1 doesnt mean anything.. i once won 3 FNMs in a row with a deck based on gelectrode....
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Hegstad's "Tar tar sauce": revised

4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Coastal Tower < wanderwine hub
9 Island
8 Plains

4 Absorb < scattering stroke
4 Accumulated Knowledge < anscestral vision
4 Counterspell < broken ambitions
4 Dismantling Blow < traumatize
4 Fact or Fiction < telling time
2 Foil < jace
3 Millstone = 10th ed
3 Story Circle = 10th edition
3 Tsabo's Web < oblivion ring
4 Wrath of God = 10th ed

2 Disenchant
3 condemn
2 whetstone
3 crib swap
4 razormane masticore
1 Millstone

note this deck prolly wont work in this meta since "<" means less than but give it a go...

i chose scaterring stroke so traumatize goes off earlier.
i also did this list off the top of my head so if there are better cards please revise thx =D
XSquad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh.. never really liked the creature mill cards because they always get killed. Pithing needle is an obvious sideboard card, I wish I had them, but they are a bit costly. The scattering stroke is an interesting idea, but I still miss rewind, I don't trust clash. Anyways the idea was to use turbo draw (instant speed draws) to get early card advantage and then shoot off a traumatize. Or, I could sit there with jester's scepter and bide my time. I realize 2-1 doesn't mean anything, but it was all against meta-game decks and I made a costly mistake in round 3 to lose... oh well. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2