Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rack it black post lorwin

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

smallpox?
yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
no
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

poolhustla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: rack it black post lorwin Reply with quote

when i was looking at the spoiler for the next set of magic, i was sooo happy to see the return of a duress like card. thoughtseize is just as good, even with the 2 life loss, in most cases, it will save you a hell of alot more than 2 life than that. also Oona's prowler struck my interest. a 3/1 flyer for 2 is great, and the ability is even better. so after i saw these, i had to build a rack deck. The problem i had was debating to spash green or not. after debating about it with a friend of mine, i just felt the splash was just a little too slow. yes, tarmogoyf is amazing, yes call of the herd give you 2-1 card advantage, but i felt like i wanted to go elsewhere with it. tombstalker and korlash were just as good as choices for threats as goyf.

so anyway the deck premise

force opponent to discard and begin topdecking within first 3 turns, cast korlash and tombstalker ftw, i know you probably already knew this.

heres the list

4x thoughtseize
4x distress
4x funeral charm
4x stupor
3x slaughterpact

3x phyrexian totem
4x the rack

4x Oona's prowler
4x Tombstalker
4x Korlash

22x swamp

sideboard will be put together after i see a meta

the main questions i have is what can i do for card draw, gb muse is too slow for the deck for a 4 slot. also do you feel like smallpox would be a good addition and what should be traded out? also the black hideaway land?
poolhustla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do realize i spelled lorwyn wrong, im a little tired
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no card in Lorwyn which I immediately fell in love with. Thoughtseize's drawback is a painful one, and no win condition replaces the ones already in my Rack deck.

18 creatures

4 Avalanche Riders
3 Tombstalker
4 Nihilith
4 Augur of Skulls
3 Ravenous Rats

4 non-creature permanents

4 The Rack

15 spells

3 Damnation
4 Stupor
4 Smallpox
4 Cruel Edict

23 lands

15 Swamp
4 Graven Cairns
4 Sulfurous Springs

15 sideboard cards

4 Rain of Tears
4 Cryoclasm
3 Terror
3 Thoughtseize
1 Damnation

The idea behind using land destruction is that I force the opponent to play the land he draws, and it seriously impedes the long-term advantage control decks gets because of the high card-power in their decks. After a while, the opponent has both few permanents and few cards in hand, a situation which is perhaps mirrored on my side of the board... but which nevertheless suits me better than him.

I know what to do vs aggro: I side out Avalanche Riders and add 1 Damnation and 3 Terror. Against control I side out the 3 Damnations, 4 Cruel edicts and either 1 Tombstalker or 1 land, for the 8 land destruction cards, plus Ravenous Rats out for Thoughtseize. The sideboarding dilemmas arise when I meet aggro-control decks. For instance Angelfire or GU aggro. In theory I need the whole sideboard, but that would weaken the strategy. I think siding out the Rats for Thoughtseize and 3 Damnation for 3 Terror is the best I can do as the deck is composed now.

Liliana Vess costs 5 mana and is thus entering the game after the most important events has already taken place. Keeping the opponent at few cards for The Rack damage is not the problem... it is getting him there in the first place. Her second ability is very good, though. I may try a few copies to see if she is worth it.

I have a record of 23/6 with this deck on apprentice. Although this doesn't really say much about the quality of the deck, it _does_ feel quite solid.
Revik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 life is not a "painful drawback." slight annoyance maybe, but not a painful drawback :S
Unholy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find laughable that people ''promote'' their decks in other people deck posts...
AlexTrebek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verde fails at adding lands.
kokusho6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherub, u got everything u should have expected u were using cards that werent even legal. so ppl gave u the sets go build again and post another
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically gave you 75 card recommendations...

Something tells me that 3 Slaughter Pact as only creature removal maindeck will be... insufficient.

Why discard a card to prevent 2 damage from Prowler, when you could use that card to kill it instead?

Distress, Funeral Charm and Thoughtseize does not give you card advantage. That is why 4 Stupor and 4 Augur is quite standard in The Rack decks, along with Smallpox for Tombstalker-food.
poolhustla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct, thoughtseize and distress doesnt give you card advantage, what they give you though is the ability to pick apart your opponents hand of threats, counters, or whatever else they need to get going. stipping creatures from aggro, or even burn is devestating to a deck that likes to drop its hand fast, it controls the tempo of the game, thats what discard does. i dont like the augur due to the fact that i have to wait a turn before i can sac him, and any mogg fanatic, ication jav, shock or any other numerous cheap removal can take him out, at least with distress, i can pull out a threat, you forget that thoughtseize and distress are creature removal as well, by turn 4 or 5 ill have enough spells in the graveyard, to drop stalker for cheap and they will be top decking.

what should be cut for small pox? i agree i need them
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 3 Phyrexian Totems and a Tombstalker.
Cheemo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: lololololo Reply with quote

where the hell is augur of skulls
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1