Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mind Stew

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
iamFrankie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Mind Stew Reply with quote

Here is my deck. It uses Niv-Mizzet and Mindmoil to kill your opponent. It uses counters to keep your oponent off. Im thinking about bounce cards to hit back their lands and creatures I cant counter. Do I need more pacts of negligations? Please help.

// Lands
7 [RAV] Mountain
12 [RAV] Island

// Creatures
3 [TEN] Ornithopter
3 [GP] Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

// Spells
2 [FUT] Delay
2 [GP] Invoke the Firemind
3 [GP] Stitch in Time
2 [PLC] Piracy Charm
3 [GP] Izzet Signet
4 [RAV] Mindmoil
2 [FUT] Pact of Negation
3 [TEN] Peek
2 [CS] Perilous Research
4 [CS] Rune Snag
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [TSP] Cancel

Note: When I say help, I don't mean say some thing like "This deck is horible." or even, "Best Deck Ever!!!!!111". Those arn't helpful.

Thanks
*FRANKIE*
GoodFella

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 lands in a control or rather LOL combo deck which u need to drop a 6 dro... rather fuck it u suck at magic dont try to make decks go watch some pros play and netdeck cause its ur only hope.
Inferno3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodFella wrote:
19 lands in a control or rather LOL combo deck which u need to drop a 6 dro... rather fuck it u suck at magic dont try to make decks go watch some pros play and netdeck cause its ur only hope.

That shit doesn't help you idiot. Since you are so smart, why not give him some advice on how to improve the deck instead of making yourself look stupid....

On a lighter note, I do agree with him that 19 isn't enough land. You need 24 land in this bitch because you have to consistently get to 6 mana for Niv-MIzzet. Also, I would run 4 Steam Vents and 4 Shivan Reef to balance out your mana base and make it more consistent. Your deck has too many 2-of's and not enough 4-of's and it makes the deck lose focus. I would take out stitch in time (chance cards like that don't work very well), piracy charm (doesn't really help your combo plan OR help you get to the combo), peek (there are better draw spells out there), and ornithopter (doesn't really fit into the deck)

If I had to give a list of things to take out and what to replace them, it would look like this:

-3 stitch in time
-2 piracy charm
-4 rune snag
-3 peek
-2 pact of negation (put in sideboard)
-2 perilous research
-3 Ornithopter
-2 island (to be replaced by dual/pain lands)
-1 mountain (also to be replaced by dual/pain lands)

+4 steam vents
+4 shivan reef
+4 compulsive research (much better card drawing than peek)
+1 Izzet Signet
+1 Niv-Mizzet
+3 molten disaster/pyroclasm/sulfurous blast (whatever your meta demands)
+3 Careful Consideration (more card draw to get to your combo pieces)
+2 delay

I hope that my post helped a lot more than GoodFella who helped nobody but himself in posted what he did. Post again to see if the changes helped at all. I think I made the deck more focused in reaching the combo pieces by adding card draw and helped the deck survive an aggro assault with adding one of the previously mentioned mass-removal spells.
Wixit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick suggestion. Adding in ophidian eye allows you to win at instant speed, as long as you have Niv out.
Inferno3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wixit wrote:
Another quick suggestion. Adding in ophidian eye allows you to win at instant speed, as long as you have Niv out.

Good call. I would maybe take the invokes out for 2 ophidian eye. If you get mindmoil going, you should be able to find ophidian eye more quickly. Or if you like, you can just replace the mindmoils with ophidian eyes because they are quicker than mindmoil...
twodioz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindstone?
That is also another auto include. Beats the hell out of a signet for Niv...
lennin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play ophidians eye so u can combo kill with niv mizzet
Wixit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lennin wrote:
play ophidians eye so u can combo kill with niv mizzet

That's a great idea except for the fact that I already suggested it.
DrAwesome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodFella wrote:

Yeah goodfella is such a freakin dumbass, he should quit life.

Also i think you should use some remands they slow the oppenent and dig further into the deck and they even help when you already have the miv out.
Tacomancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodFella wrote:

Listen to this man.
iamFrankie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Thanks!!! Reply with quote

This is really helpful. My only dissagreament is about lands. I know 19 seams like globlin agro or somthing, but it works. I have so many cards that let me draw for cheap that I don't need a lot of lands because I draw them with cards like remand. I end up with about 9 to 12 lands in games I win in. Does any one think boomerang would be good in this deck? Im having problems with the deck editing part of mws and have to reinstall it, but when I do ill post a new deck list. I %100 aggree with +1 nivmizit and the -3 titich in time. One game my opponent almost killed all my nivmizits. The pacts are a must because this deck dosn't have use for mana most turns except once nivmizit is out.

Rule Question: Will two mindmoils in play at the same time mean, put cards on bottom, draw, put cards on bottom and draw? Or do you only do it once?

Goodfella, did you read the note in my first post? About the not posting non helpful stuff.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mind Stew Reply with quote

iamFrankie wrote:
Here is my deck. It uses Niv-Mizzet and Mindmoil to kill your opponent. It uses counters to keep your oponent off. Im thinking about bounce cards to hit back their lands and creatures I cant counter. Do I need more pacts of negligations? Please help.

// Lands
7 [RAV] Mountain
12 [RAV] Island

(at least 3 too few, card drawing or no.)

// Creatures
3 [TEN] Ornithopter (free blocker? terrible)
3 [GP] Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind (good creature, but hard to cast. With Ophidian Eye a good win condition.)

// Spells
2 [FUT] Delay
2 [GP] Invoke the Firemind (it is not played for a reason. Bad card, especially in a 19-land deck with no defence.)
3 [GP] Stitch in Time (terrible card. Does nothing.)
2 [PLC] Piracy Charm (hardly playable in limited. Terrible in constructed.)
3 [GP] Izzet Signet
4 [RAV] Mindmoil (a 5-mana enchantment that does not win you the game, except when you have a 6-mana creature in play, is terrible.)
2 [FUT] Pact of Negation (mostly a dead card.)
3 [TEN] Peek (Does nothing.)
2 [CS] Perilous Research (nice with permanents that you want to go into graveyard. Does nothing in this deck.)
4 [CS] Rune Snag
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [TSP] Cancel

Note: When I say help, I don't mean say some thing like "This deck is horible." or even, "Best Deck Ever!!!!!111". Those arn't helpful.

Thanks
*FRANKIE*
Revik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! Reply with quote

iamFrankie wrote:
My only dissagreament is about lands. I know 19 seams like globlin agro or somthing, but it works. I have so many cards that let me draw for cheap that I don't need a lot of lands because I draw them with cards like remand. I end up with about 9 to 12 lands in games I win in. Does any one think boomerang would be good in this deck? Im having problems with the deck editing part of mws and have to reinstall it, but when I do ill post a new deck list. I %100 aggree with +1 nivmizit and the -3 titich in time. One game my opponent almost killed all my nivmizits. The pacts are a must because this deck dosn't have use for mana most turns except once nivmizit is out.

Rule Question: Will two mindmoils in play at the same time mean, put cards on bottom, draw, put cards on bottom and draw? Or do you only do it once?

Goodfella, did you read the note in my first post? About the not posting non helpful stuff.

You. Need. More. Lands.

If you miss your turn 3 land drop but get one turn 4, you're losing already. Since your badcombo/mehcontrol, you should be using more lands to hit niv fasters. 22 lands seem good, and run better draw. Also, your deck should always have a use for mana. find one if you have too.
iamFrankie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Umm... Reply with quote

I GOT A NEW LAPTOP!!!!

Any way, I fixed the bug. Its working now. Here is the changed deck.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
6 Mountain
10 Island
3 Steam Vents
2 Shivan Reef

// Creatures
4 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

// Spells
4 Delay
2 Invoke the Firemind
4 Izzet Signet
4 Mindmoil
2 Pact of Negation
3 Perilous Research
4 Remand
4 Cancel
3 Pyroclasm
2 Careful Consideration
3 Ophidian Eye

Please post helpful comments unlike Vedrfolner and Goodfella. No one has told me about if bounce cards should be in the deck. Im about to play test the deck. Ill keep track of the results and post them here.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1