Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dread return

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
metroman722

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: dread return Reply with quote

can i reanimate a creature i saced to flashback dread return.

i say i can because sacing the creature is part of the cost there is no delay in it going to the graveyard so when dread return resolves it can find my angel of despair. (thats the creature under dispute). I discard via looter. played dread return on angel. destroyed a soul warden. saced a looter a birds of paradise and angel to bounce my angel again and destroy the other troubling warden.

i don't see anything wrong with that play, but then again, i am no expert by any means
Malhavoc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're asking is if you can get reanimate with dread return a creature you have sacrificed in order to flashback dread return itself? The answer is no, simply because you decide targets before paying costs. So when you have to choose the target for dread return, the angel is still in play and it's not a valid target, so you have to choose another creature in the grave, and of course on resolution you can't change that decision.
metroman722

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx...i always thought you had to pay before playing a spell...guess i was a tad bit off.
Malhavoc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroman722 wrote:
thanx...i always thought you had to pay before playing a spell...guess i was a tad bit off.

Usually you can float mana, then declare the spell with all the specific things (mostly: targets), then use the floating mana to pay the spell.

..or you can tap and use the mana just at the very last moment (after declaring all the necessary things).

Since often people tend to tap and THEN play the spell, you can think you first pay and then play, but the spell/ability declaration is instead the first thing you do.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1