Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Nats report / criticize my drafting please

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
aldaryn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: US Nats report / criticize my drafting please Reply with quote

I went to US Nats. I went 3-0 in Standard, feeling pretty good. Then I got nervous drafting at table 1, with everyone watching and the fact that I suck/hate drafting and have no confidence at it. I went 0-3, though in my defense I played against PT San Diego winner Chris Lachmann, national team member Michael Jacob, and Osyp Lebedowicz. Then I left my deck on a table for less than two minutes and judges cleared it off and threw it somewhere, so I dropped in frustration to play in a PTQ and side events.

I didn't think my drafting was that bad at the time, I also thought my play was pretty tight. I did have some rough things happen to me with mulligans (I have only been to Regionals as my other big tourney, I had no idea your deck came back organized after a deck check).

Anyway, the point is, here is the draft viewer for my draft at pod 1. Please [CONSTRUCTIVELY] point out my awful mistakes and why you would have chosen other cards instead at that point. I'm trying to get better at draft, really, I am. Thanks. I'm Derek Thompson in the draft.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/magic/draftools/draftviewer.asp?draftid=7_27_2007&player=2&pack=1&pick=1&showpick=false&alwaysshowpick=false
Eldar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think early you had green open as well as black but going into pack 2 and such you were seeing a lot of great red and the green seemed to keep coming. I dunno I probably would have ended up going either B/G/r or G/W/r.
Magx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from an expert at draft but it seems that at first, you were going to go green and white and I would have stick to that. Instead, at the end, you kept picking random colors instead of sticking with white and green...
Quantumdemon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just need to work on your card evaluations, in one pack in Player Chaos, first pick, you take Aven Riftwatcher, with no rebel searchers over Sunlance and Malach of the Dawn, that's so obviously wrong in white pick evaluations it's not funny. Otherwise pay more attention to curve, and just practice more with good players, that's the best way to get better. Also, vow over boa is so wrong I cant even express...especially when the vow will table sometimes, the boa will not.

Also in pack two is when you decided to finally get into white after passing LOTS of great white cards in the first pack, that was a really bad idea considering what you passed. Also white/green isnt a strong color combination, and the only time it's ok is when you get a lot of white removal in the first two packs and thallids so you hopefully bust a couple of sprout swarms and go broken.

Step 1: Know the archetypes you've begun drafting and picking cards that take full advantage of that.

Step 2: Remember what you've passed and what you can expect coming back, too many times your picks were erratic and without synergy.

Step 3: Give better signals, when you're playing with good players, you cant give so many mixed signals to good players because they'll end up cutting you.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the actual constructive replies. Yeah, I think pack two is where I screwed up. I had been told black is awful in TPF, so I was ignoring it more than I should have been. The 4th pick isolation made me think white was open. I never actively looked for anything beyond blue, never intentionally went for red or black. I can't remember what made me pick blue, probably momentary blink...oh and my first pick.

Yes, Riftwatcher was awful in my deck, and that Sunlance wrecked me. Sad
Volrath89

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked at your complete picks list before looking each of ur picks, and your Time Spiral and Planar Chaos 1st picks, suck.

Your first pack was very very weak though, but you had a better choice than Viscerid Deepwalker - Hunting Moa. Moa is just better, and for your 1st pick you usually look for the most powerful card, and imo that was moa. Deepwalker only fits if u are playing blue as ur main color, and u dont know about your colors in ur 1st pick so I never would 1st pick Deepwalker...

In your 3rd TS pick, I consider the best cards were: Spiketail Drakeling and Fortify. Spinneret Sliver is usually a Grizzly Bear, and that is not good for a 3rd pick... I think I'd take the Drakeling, but even if you'd have taken fortify I'm sure you'd won some games with it.

Your 1st Planar Chaos pick was also wrong, because u had Sunlance and Malach of the Dawn which are better than riftwatcher. Yes, you had a Momentary Blink, anyway removal > life gain.

In the 3rd Pick of FS, I'd take Whip-Spine Drake, because you are in white (GW) and flyers are gold in that archetype. Anyway, Llanowar Empath is not as good as Whip-Spine...

I was surprised by your 4th pick Temporal Isolation, but then I checked and that pack was sick: Sulfurous Blast, Lightning Axe, Teferi's Moat and Isolation...

I didnt look further than 3rd or 4th pick in each pack, so thats all I can say about your draft Wink

Quote:
I had no idea your deck came back organized after a deck check

lol ...

What did u play in standard? Razz
OKGengar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have took the Knight of the Holy Nimbus ;P
ricebb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FS 2nd pick y archer over quagnoth ,quagnoth is bigger and cant be targeted by rathi trapper Very Happy
Apocalypser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing i remember these wrong picks. Aven over sunlace is so very wrong, archer over quagnoth too, deepwalker over moa, i would have picked the white removal instead of the imperiossaur. But you draft went pretty bad in general, you picked 3 colours, and your picks didnt seem focused.
Btw, what deck did you play in t2 ?
Kaesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others have already criticised your card evaluation, so I will write about looking at the big picture.
1st 9 picks of time spiral:
1st:
Deepwalker is indeed one of the better cards in that pack, and it seems alluring as the only playable blue card in the pack (we all know blue is very good), the problem it immediately sets you to a position to draft UB, which isn't terrible but sub-par. IMO the correct pick is Ib Halfheart, the other red cards are second-rate, and it is very likely that the next three players will take a green card, a white card and the deepwalker (the order doesn't matter). Red is a slightly better color overall, and it pairs with black way better than blue, not to mention you can still switch to U/R if the cards are right.
2nd:
This pack is fairly similar to the previous one, having many powerful green and white cards, making it a terrible moment to take one of them. Halberdier is the easy pick there.
3rd:
In the light of what I've said so far, there are three possible cards to take there: Mana Skimmer, Flamecore Elemental and Spiketail Drakeling. This is the time to start making your draft plan more concrete, as flamecore is the worst card, and you'd rather take one of the others. Spiketail is of course way better than Skimmer, and despite the fact you wanted to put someone in your vicinity in blue, I would pick it, because it's so much much better, and you're not likely to miss the Skimmer or put anyone in black with it.
4th:
Back on track: Tendrils! Mise!
5th:
Grapeshot! Ding!
6th:
We see that we will be the ones getting the black stuff on the table: Assassinate.
7th:
Recluse
8th:
Something went wrong at this table, the Channeler shouldn't have made it this far. Your gain.
9th:
The pack came back pretty much as planned. Bladescout goes straight to your pile

Looking at the picks of players around you generally confirms my analysis.
TylerTMK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly to many mistakes in that draft to comment on forum, drop by sometimes to irc, come to #jajaja we can help you there by discusing about every pick slowly.

-vlada-
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I definitely know the Riftwatcher was wrong, and I know my signaling is bad. Also, I can't justify the archer over Quagnoth, and I know I needed that late Judge Unworthy. I regretted it the minute I did it. I don't play very well in front of crowds, and being photo'ed/recorded with only 10-25 seconds for each pick was too much pressure for me right then, along with my low confidence in draft. As long as I was GUW, there was also an Erratic Mutation I wish I'd grabbed - the Whip-Spine Drake also. I have read a lot but I need a ton more practice, I think I've done less than 10 real tpf drafts...

I played Angelfire in standard. Classic Angelfire, no stupid blink tricks. I played it to a 7-1-1 at Regionals and have been playing it since states. I wish I had stayed in the main tournament just to rip people apart in standard. I will never understand people picking up decks a week or two before a major tournament. I also went 6-2 in a Side Event, 9-2 overall in Standard, and I crushed 4 or 5 different GUW and RUW Blink and/or Touch decks of all kinds of players/ratings. I don't have a clue why you would take obvious ALWAYS powerhouse cards like Wrath of God and Demonfire out of a deck just for cute situational cards like Momentary Blink and Aethermage's Touch. That's just my opinion, though. (One blink player SIDED OUT his Lightning Angels against me.)

In the main event I beat GWU Martyr gayness (Thank you Pithing Needle), BRG Rakdos with Tarmogoyf (great player, good deck, I won game 3 with a huge Demonfire on 2 life), and WUR Blink. In the side event I lost to Solar Flare on the last possible extra turn of game 3 after he Take Possession'ed my Lightning Angel (note: Agonizing Memories is not Persecute, but it IS good). And I lost to Enduring Renewal / Wild Cantor with Essence Warden and Grapeshot...because I boarded out Wraths for Needles/Crypts and his sideboard was 15-card transformational into Project X. Slick! I can't complain about being outsmarted there. I beat 2 Gruul, the Nats winner's deck (UGW Omnichord), and 3 Blink decks.

Well, later. Anything else you want to say about the draft appreciated.
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second pack red seemed very strong. You got passed stuff like dead/gone, tom and rough/tumble(!)
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that 1º pack going GW wasn't such a bad call, but not taking red on 2º pack was crearlly a big mistake you could end up with a nice Gwr deck...but overall you did many wrong picks has already a lot of people pointed out..you just have to learn from your mistakes and practice to get betther
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1