Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RW Gargardon Deck SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
TheOrb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: RW Gargardon Deck SUGGESTIONS NEEDED Reply with quote

Land
13 Mountain
4 Boros Garrison
2 Plains

Creatures
4 Mogg War Marshall
4 Scorched Rusalka
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Greater Gargardon
4 Martyr of Ashes

Spells
4 Lightning Helix
4 Rift Bolt
4 Incinerate
4 Seal of Fire
3 Shock

Other
2 Boros Signet

That's the basic, no sideboard yet as I don't know for certain the metagame at my upcoming T2 tourney. Char is not an option (too expensive, money-wise) and neither are any of the painlands. I was thinking possibly Magus of the Scroll and Magus of the Moon but am uncertain as to what needs to get booted for those.
HUNGTACTICS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt look too bad. maybe remove signets for big burn? or maybe 2 sudden shock. or remove 2 signets and 2 shock for 4 spark elemental
TheOrb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was actually something I was considering. I've seen the Spark Elementals do pretty well, even though I don't see them much in these decks.

Definitely will consider that.
Questar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really give advice to someone who won't buy chars for a deck 95% red. They're like 6 bucks apiece at a decent store. Also, if you're concerned about money, and your deck is mostly for fun, drop the helixes and lose white. This way you won't have to worry about duals or helixes (expensive for you). I dunno though, if this deck is serious at all, you need to spend money, if not, enjoy FNM.
Ginksigerg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epochrasite is rediculous with gargadon. play him!! and cut the signets. and solifuge is a good call as it doesn't die to spot removal. maybe even fatal frenzy u can try as it plus gargadon is usually always game
Bigshow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questar wrote:
You can't really give advice to someone who won't buy chars for a deck 95% red. They're like 6 bucks apiece at a decent store. Also, if you're concerned about money, and your deck is mostly for fun, drop the helixes and lose white. This way you won't have to worry about duals or helixes (expensive for you). I dunno though, if this deck is serious at all, you need to spend money, if not, enjoy FNM.

you can't really rip on a deck like that right away, I mean, give it insight first.

I know you prob don't have the money for the cards, but idealy
// Lands
4 [OD] Plains (.10)
6 [IN] Mountain (.10)
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair (5-Cool
4 [AP] Battlefield Forge (6)
4 [RAV] Sacred Foundry (10)

Lands: $85-97

// Creatures
4 [FD] Spark Elemental (.25)
3 [PLC] Calciderm (.50)
3 [PLC] Keldon Marauders (.50)
4 [GP] Giant Solifuge (5)
4 [TSP] Mogg War Marshal (.25)
4 [TSP] Greater Gargadon (3)

Creatures: $37

// Spells
4 [IA] Incinerate (.50-1)
4 [TSP] Rift Bolt (.50)
4 [RAV] Char (6)
4 [RAV] Lightning Helix (1)

spells: $32-34

total cost:$154 - 168

its seems good for what you want, and also you can play it on mws get a better feel or chuck it before you want to invest money into it.

glory of all things is that you most likely have the cards, if not you can trade for them.
I took the prices from a generalization of what i buy, and if people trade higher than what people sell, remember, store sells higher to make profit, its probably 5 bucks less that what its worth, Tarmagoyf is a 5 dollar card being sold for 20 is a great example of over pricing
Questar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
Tarmagoyf is a 5 dollar card being sold for 20 is a great example of over pricing

Wouldn't that make it a 20 dollar card? It's demand went through the roof, which increased the price. Just because it was a 5$ card at one point doesn't make it a 5$ card forever.
rockshard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Questar, just drop white. Try to get Char. If not then try to get Goblin Kings and Siege-Gang Commanders, and run monored goblins.
fightfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Tarmagoyf is a 5 dollar card being sold for 20 is a great example of over pricing

players and stores frequently overprice their cards. For example, black lotus is actually a $10 card despite virtually every player and store valuing it at over $600. The best way to avoid such ripoffs is to not trade or buy from ANYONE. I suggest buying at least 2 cases of every set that comes out from now on in order to make sure you have a playset of every card. This is a good way to save money and avoid being ripped off.
Eldar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to avoid paying a ton of money for tarmogoyfs wait until block season is over and they plummet in price to around 7-8.
Shivan1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL?

Tarmogoyf is used in almost every format of Magic right now and I don't see that stopping after block season.

It'll be 12-15+ for quite a while.
Eldar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivan1 wrote:
LOL?

Tarmogoyf is used in almost every format of Magic right now and I don't see that stopping after block season.

It'll be 12-15+ for quite a while.

Yeah its used in a lot of formats however almost 50% of the block metagame is using it right now and with it being block season they are going for huge amounts because of that. You don't see grim lavamancer dci promos going for 40-50 right now they are going for around 20ish because guess what its not extended/legacy season. Card prices fluctuate based on which season it is because during said seasons these cards are played more and are more desirable. Maybe you would realize if you did nearly as much trading as I do. Currently in extended there will be a huge boom in deck varieties and imo I don't see goyf making his way into control/combo decks that comprise around 70% of the format sorry whereas in agro decks like gaea's might I am sure he will be played. As for legacy yes threshold will run him and possibly some agro-control decks will run him too but even so 2 of the top 3 decklists that are played don't including the most popular goblins deck even though he would be savage tech in the board against threshold. As for standard sure he is great in almost every agro deck but do you wanna glance at US Nats and tell me how many goyfs were in the top 8 decks compared to our top 8 of the last standard tourny. Let us see here. Almost every deck here ran 4 except 1 or 2 decks but at nats there was a total of 4 goyfs in all 8 decklists, says something doesn't it, not as huge as you thought now is he. So honestly once block season is over he will still be a money rare yes however his price will drop a bit he won't be the huge amount that he is now however few cards ever reach that price, only cards that are a must in almost any decklist/sideboard such as pithing needle that are in a huge set btw if you haven't noticed which make them harder to get compared to the small set future sight is. I can't see him being above $10 once block is over because most of the hype about him will be gone.

P.S. This is coming from someone who is playing him in every format hes used in now also so don't think you know everything when you clearly haven't done your homework. Standard - Zoo, Extended - Gaea's Might, Legacy - Threshold, Block - RGW Kavu Justice.
LONE_GUNMAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

control should pwn this in tha butt...
BeppoBannson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe run some sulfer elementals, in the board at least. They can work wonders against your weakest match-up, Control/lock. Rift Elementals are always helpful as well with Gargadon, plus they can hit heavy for a one drop in mid/late game.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1