Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping the "noob-sayers" and "Quiters"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
mufl0n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man,i am so much expert :-/ lol
thedarkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the issue with having the players vote for the players is that nobody would get voted in. Ever. If you left it entirely up to the established judges, a LOT of people STILL would never get voted in, even among those who deserve the spot.

For example: mufl0n is the only one who would vote for mufl0n..and while several people might vote for me, I wouldn't be surprised if more people voted against my entry. -.-

In short, basing anything like this on the magic-league player base seems like a HORRIBLE idea, though the idea of rankings for rooms seems good.
Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe rather than sectioned preset rooms, why not have variables a host can toggle on and off and put requirements into.

EXAMPLE:

When you create a room you'd fill this out:

- Format (you select T2, T.extended, etc... Game will check legality)

- Rating (type in a bare minimum/maximum or any)

- Level (here we could make something like your idea. Have different levels of EARNABLE status)

Earnable (and deductable) status would be like...for how often they actually win a big tournament, being a judge, how long they've been playing at magic-league, ethics and conduct report (dear god i would kill for this part), etc...

This would make players strive to actually achieve something (as getting high rating isnt too hard)
mufl0n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"For example: mufl0n is the only one who would vote for mufl0n..and while several people might vote for me, I wouldn't be surprised if more people voted against my entry. -.- "

the main difference is that i can play
but you fail hard at magic
Thorns

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with letting people in by judging their rating is that not all people play leagues or mini games very often. I for one, don't. My rating is 1592 because I joined a few minis, won some matches, lost more and haven't played for 2 months. I honestly don't care about my rating, but I am nonetheless a good player with the capacities to play in the expert room. Don't forget that M:tG is a game heavily based on luck. I understand your concern about quiters and respect and all, but unfortunately, it's a problem without a concrete solution due to the sheer amount of people who play Magic online every day.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufl0n wrote:
"For example: mufl0n is the only one who would vote for mufl0n..and while several people might vote for me, I wouldn't be surprised if more people voted against my entry. -.- "

Sadly, this does nothing but prove my point. mufl0n, and many others, seem to think that they are superior to other people in some fashion, and back this up by insulting the people they are "better than."

As Thorns said, rating, ESPECIALLY magic-league rating, isn't important unless you want byes for masters or real-life equivalents.

Behaving like mufl0n is in this thread would probably have him in the negative earned-status range in short order, because I for one have never seen him act like a decent human being. I've seen him piss off AoK, myself, half of whatever chat he's active in, I've seen him break server and channel rules, and I've seen countless infractions and personality issues that I would love to be able to do more than just comment on.
Bozo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarkness wrote:
mufl0n wrote:

Sadly, this does nothing but prove my point. mufl0n, and many others, seem to think that they are superior to other people in some fashion, and back this up by insulting the people they are "better than."

As Thorns said, rating, ESPECIALLY magic-league rating, isn't important unless you want byes for masters or real-life equivalents.

Behaving like mufl0n is in this thread would probably have him in the negative earned-status range in short order, because I for one have never seen him act like a decent human being. I've seen him piss off AoK, myself, half of whatever chat he's active in, I've seen him break server and channel rules, and I've seen countless infractions and personality issues that I would love to be able to do more than just comment on.

And I've seen him win a trial. He's obviously good enough to go in the expert room. :\
I don't think it matters how you act, if you're a jerk you will get in trouble regardless, I like the idea of there being a room only for good players.
Taoofss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

such a noob fucking post. MWS isnt magic-league exclusive. There is no way to monitor all games played on MWS. The majority of the people who use mws have little to no affliation with magic-league.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taoofss: Jorbes is the programmer for GO. We're not talking about mws. Don't be an ass when you don't know what you're talking about. >.>
thedarkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And @ Bozo: I was actually, from my first post, using him as an example for why a user-voted-entry "expert room" was a bad idea.

Note: I never called him a bad player here, and I've never SERIOUSLY called him a bad player. I know he's not. But he IS an ****, and that SHOULD count for something.
dboy1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for dub post

Last edited by dboy1 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboy1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorns wrote:
The only problem with letting people in by judging their rating is that not all people play leagues or mini games very often. I for one, don't. My rating is 1592 because I joined a few minis, won some matches, lost more and haven't played for 2 months. I honestly don't care about my rating, but I am nonetheless a good player with the capacities to play in the expert room. Don't forget that M:tG is a game heavily based on luck. I understand your concern about quiters and respect and all, but unfortunately, it's a problem without a concrete solution due to the sheer amount of people who play Magic online every day.

wrong

while luck does play a part if it was so heavily based on luck the best players in the world wouldnt be the best players...just lucky. and they probably wouldnt remain at the top. however the name pros stay on top so.....

btw about the idea: i like the idea of having diff levels of play experience though the way that u decide seems bad. yes, judges should be auto in the expert room. however i think that you should need in ur records a top 8 in a master or top 2 in trial to be in. that or top 50 constructed or 1850+ irl. just some ideas as to how to decide who should be admited
Winnetou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you are discussing this in the first place, but then again, maybe I just have not played enough here on Magic-league, because to this day, I have not seen an opponent drop from a game intentionally...

But having a room with more experienced players is a grate Idea.. Espesially when playtesting decks, you want an skilled opponent.

How this experienced/not experienced thing should work I am not so shure of.. Rating, playtime etc is the easy way to go, but then you got to ask the question, do people care about their raiting here? I don't think so, but maybe they will??

An other thing we could do was to try and create an "****" free playroom.. this could maybe be done by letting members invite other people to the group, and kick out people who misbehave, maybe even suspending the ability to invite new people to people who invited the "bad" people in the firs place??

this might sound a bit elaborate, and it probably is, not to mention timeconsuming as hell..

but thats just my two cents
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be possible to do something similar to what I have heard Ben Bleiweiss talk about that they have on MTGO a casual room and a tourny practice room basically your begginer and expert level rooms. also you could do a lightning room for fast games. I believe that doing this based on rating would not be a good idea because while I may have a poor rating I dont want to play against "sliver/saproling with hivestone.dec" just because my rating isnt 1700+. also I believe the only way to get better or to make a deck (whether a homebrew or a tweek on a netdeck) better is to play against players that actually know what the post-combat main phase is (aka not scrubs).
kikimikejiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought the n word was nigger and in that case ur a racist sir
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2