Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Deck in T2 Post 10th

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
AkYo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Best Deck in T2 Post 10th Reply with quote

All I know is MGA is the best deck in this format...

Loam + Seismic is way too slow vs MGA
No real Control decks left besides Solar Flare and a shitty Mono Black Discard or Korlash deck that seems bad.
What is left folks? This format is looking so good for MGA.

Dredge deck seems like a worthy opponent even tho they have issues vs aggro anyway.
Magx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure...

I think that a good 2 or 3 colors Miracle Grow deck could beat MGA. And with all that burn without a circle of protection (except for Story Circle), I'm sure it could beat MGA
aldaryn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't discredit Angelfire. It did wonderfully for me at Regionals, got me to Nats, and at Nats it will be even better. It lost nothing from the rotation, and look at what went well for it:

Seething Song is gone, Rule of Law is in. Thank God.
Persecute is gone, making Solar Flare/Korlash easy matchups when my clock is faster and curve lower so I can handle being Detritivore'd better than they can.

BLOOD MOON is gone! Hooray!. Magus of the Moon dies to Pyroclasm, which I think will be sideboard tech, because of Mono Red, and it clears the board for you to get in the damage race against Dredge, and it loves ruining Elves/Birds/TROLL ASCETIC when it drops and they tap out. It is also great against most of Project X's dorks.

Circle of Protection: Red is gone, which was a real pain in the mirror or in particular against Beach House or Solar Flare...I think Solar Flare is dead, and will be replaced by BUr Korlash.

Savannah Lions and Kird Ape mean slower aggro, so I'll crush them even harder. Mono Red Burn will probably crop up, but I have better threats and I can play the burn game too.

Troll Ascetic is nothing Lightning Angel can't handle. I expect the Dryad/Goyf Gro deck to be a problem if it's G/U, but the G/(W)/(R) versions won't be tough, it just gives me a reason to put Condemn back in my sideboard in either case.

Rewind is gone, which is a subtle but still substantial loss for Dralnu.

So many bad cards for Angelfire are gone, most of the new cards are dealable-with, and it lost nothing. It only gained, and gain it did: Pithing Needle is a great sideboard option, and there's really no reason NOT to run Faerie Conclave and/or the other manlands.
AkYo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laff angel fires gets crushed by MGA .. angel fires has 0 outs to a 4/4 beater unless the build includes WoG and like i said before 1 WoG does not stop the MGA beat down.. most decks kill themselves as they play these shock lands like zoo will and mga just keeps that evasion beating from scryb ranger with cloak to a silhana beater... no one gets it..
Kaesh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{y}
TylerTMK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{e}

Vlada btw.
natethetank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkYo wrote:
laff angel fires gets crushed by MGA .. angel fires has 0 outs to a 4/4 beater unless the build includes WoG and like i said before 1 WoG does not stop the MGA beat down.. most decks kill themselves as they play these shock lands like zoo will and mga just keeps that evasion beating from scryb ranger with cloak to a silhana beater... no one gets it..

good luck with that Rolling Eyes
when you go o-2 drop at every tourney dont say your opponents got lucky.
AdoshemEchad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You give AngelFire wayyy too much credit. As far as control decks go, AF was in its prime a little over a month ago. Now, it still does well to own aggro and various low end control, but in the grand scheme of all control decks, it is thoroughly average. It loses to main deck fetters and wrath, plus, once your opponent gets up to 7 mana (which is usually fairly quickly with signets) it is wide open to a take possession, which is usually about time you can kiss the game goodbye. A redirected lightning angel that is immune to your helixes? Ownd. Also, it has nothing to control calciderms or anything that is above 4 toughness really. AngelFire was good a month ago, because the metagame was ruled by aggro and dralnu (which was beaten with the unexpected remand backup). I ruined 2 angelfires at regionals with my own UW control deck I made. Again, AF isn't the worse choice of deck by any means, but I certainly wouldn't consider it to be one of the best either.
Shivan1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGA is pretty damn fast I agree. I think a UB control build will come to dominate the format though.
Flamancipatr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about some kind of sligh?

Magus of the Scroll
Shock
Incinerate
Mogg Fanatic
Char
Rift Bolt
Blood Knight
Keldon Marauders
Gathan Raiders
Frenzied Goblin
Emberwilde Augur
Mogg War Marshal
Raging Goblin
Scorched Rusalka
Hunted Dragon/Tarox Bladewing as a finisher

Looks like it can't hurt to try...
AkYo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdoshemEchad wrote:
You give AngelFire wayyy too much credit. As far as control decks go, AF was in its prime a little over a month ago. Now, it still does well to own aggro and various low end control, but in the grand scheme of all control decks, it is thoroughly average. It loses to main deck fetters and wrath, plus, once your opponent gets up to 7 mana (which is usually fairly quickly with signets) it is wide open to a take possession, which is usually about time you can kiss the game goodbye. A redirected lightning angel that is immune to your helixes? Ownd. Also, it has nothing to control calciderms or anything that is above 4 toughness really. AngelFire was good a month ago, because the metagame was ruled by aggro and dralnu (which was beaten with the unexpected remand backup). I ruined 2 angelfires at regionals with my own UW control deck I made. Again, AF isn't the worse choice of deck by any means, but I certainly wouldn't consider it to be one of the best either.

ROFL UW Control Eh whats your name ? did you top 8? Los Angeles? cause i did.. I also wrecked 2 Angel Fires O_o how ironic... My name is John Kassari and i was one of the 2 to make it to top 8 with UW at regionals i lost to the 2nd place BW O_o heh..
kfcman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho
the best post 10th deck is gonna be UG Goyf/Dryad
it has the best creatures in Goyf, dryad and asectic and counter backup with just a touch of burn
buda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey john i love MGA, i would like to see a build because i will be better to support your statement.
If you whant i make a new treat for it with a decklist and develop from there
aldaryn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never put Angelfire in the top tier before, but what I am saying is that it only got better.

Angelfire crushes MGA. I've done it. A lot. I don't think this will change post 10th. You guys seem to understand Angelfire as a pure control deck, and it isn't. By the time you are bringing it down with "unanswerable threats," they should be throwing the helixes at YOU along with Demonfires and Hellkites and ending the game right there.

"Unless the build includes WOG"? Angelfire has -always- had 4 WoG..I'm not talking about BlinkRiders.

It loses to main deck fetters and wrath? Those are Angelfire's cards! Sure, you might lose to the mirror match, but someone has to..?
Did you ever think that Angelfire could play Take Possession too?

Not to mention that all of your Regionals "analysis" are PRE 10TH EDITION. You're missing the point of the post.

As for decks that should be cropping up

Yes, Mono Red in the line of T.S. Mono Red should be really good, with Char, Incinerate, Mogg Fanatic, etc. This deck will get infinitely better once Ravnica leaves, though (Helix, Hierarch, Fetters are bad for you)

I tried building UG Goyf/Dryad, but it felt clunky. However, in theory it should be really good, because it has the light counter suite to ruin 3 Color Control and Dralnu-style decks, and the creatures are so much bigger than they should be that you should give Red players a hard time. It seems like a natural evolution of Scryb/Force.

Also, I'd expect with Rewind gone for Dralnu to shift to a sorcery-speed UB Korlash deck with red splash for Detritivore and Rise // Fall.

I wouldn't discredit Dredge yet either.
Daveslusher-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my EXTENSIVELEY TESTED predictions.

Winner: Angelfire
Runner Up:Satainc Sligh
Top 8:
Mono White Idiot Life
Stoneblade(Sadin R/g Gargadon)
Project x
Razormane Control
U/G/w Gro
B/r/u Korlash

Angelfire - This deck lost far to easily to dragonstorm so it lost popularity. However, it loses nothign this rotation and WILL be the deck to beat. It's worst matchup is gone and it even gains a few sb tricks. Losing CoP:Red will be intresting.

Satanic Sligh - Your reading this think "Bullshit." and frankly i don't blame you. HOWEVER, this deck is an absolute powerhouse post rotation. I have played and seen may builds splashing green for tarmogoyf and such and this strategy works in aggro mirrors. Vs control this deck stomps most decks with it's amazingly fast clock and it's newest tool, RAIN OF TEARS. Black LD is and always will be amazing at a reasonable price and they definitley hit gold this time.

Idiot Life - Here where someone is gonna mention grave hate. I say to those idiots, IDIOT LIFE DOESNT ALWAYS WIN OFF MARTYR. There are many a time where i've won off my enchantments and a beating crovax. Most builds will be intresting post rot with beacon joining the lifegain mix. It'll probly be a 1of to prevent mill.

Stoneblade - This deck proved amazing results at this years regionals in Edison. It lost to project x in the semis i believe and with the ultimate anti tool vs prox and this deck. We shall see what happens.

Project X: As the dust clears off the spoiler. It's incredibly clear what combo deck is going to be left after this rotation. The good ol midrange conbo deck is a recoking force in the current t2 meta. Will this deck be able to beat it's 2 greatest threats?(Mogg fanatic/Pithing Needle). We shall see.

Razormane Control(G/u/w) : For thsoe who have no idea what this deck is, it's a variant of CAL i recently ran into. Rezormane ends aggro as anyone who has played against it will tell you and the synergy between it and loam is sublime.This is my dark horse prediciton.

U/G/w Gro - She's back. And boy is she good. Quirion Dryad is a card played in vintage and legacy beecause of her growing capabilites. In the blink of an eye she goes from a 1/1 or a 6/6. And shes now partnered p with Tarmogofy. The card that is almost always a 3/4 for 2. Me Likey!

B/r/u Korlash Control: This deck was played by many at regionals to no avail.However, with the decks worst enemy gone will it finally rise the the sucess it deserves? I think so. With its amazing dimir houseguard engine combined with rise/fall it's a deck full of synergy waiting for it's time in the spotlight.

Honorable mentions:

Red Deck Wins: While i don't double the speed of this deck. It's just too many decks have a plan for it. It tis becomes another WW, i'll glady shove my foot into my mouth.

Beach House: I tried once again to make this deck viable, but without a poweerful draw engine. The deck is just far too slow.

Loam: TOO. SLOW. A turn 3 assualt wil win games sure. But what happen's when your digging for 4 turns? Nothing.

UBg Miracle Gro: Fish just can't beat aggro without a sword or a jitte.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2