Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voidstone Gargoyle + Blink/Astral Slide

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
PresRufus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Voidstone Gargoyle + Blink/Astral Slide Reply with quote

When you remove the gargoyle from plauy with either blink or slide, and he comes back, if you name a different card, does he remember the first card named and then stop both from being played?
natethetank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Voidstone Gargoyle + Blink/Astral Slide Reply with quote

PresRufus wrote:
When you remove the gargoyle from plauy with either blink or slide, and he comes back, if you name a different card, does he remember the first card named and then stop both from being played?

no
when you choose a new card the voidstone gargoyle is a new creature who doesnt rememeber your first target.
Thorns

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as he leaves play, whether it been to the grave, removed from the game, to your library or hand, he loses memory of everything. If his color had been changed, he forgets, he forgets the card he was denying, he forgets the damage stacked on him, he forgets any spells that targeted him, he will forget being tapped or untapped. Note that the only time time a card will remember what its state was is when a card is phases in or out.
LEYENDA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive that if the gargoyle leavs play, the named card and its abilities still cant be played be cause its a triggered abilitie that means:

" As Voidstone Gargoyle comes into play, name a nonland card"

its not a statick "as long as voidstone gargoyle is in play...."

now; the named card its not target, just named, so the gargoyle does not need remember the named card for work on it

my answer: yes
Thorns

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEYENDA wrote:
I belive that if the gargoyle leavs play, the named card and its abilities still cant be played be cause its a triggered abilitie that means:

" As Voidstone Gargoyle comes into play, name a nonland card"

its not a statick "as long as voidstone gargoyle is in play...."

now; the named card its not target, just named, so the gargoyle does not need remember the named card for work on it

my answer: yes

Unless stated otherwise, static abilities only apply when the card is in play. And contrary to your belief, the ability is static. The only triggered ability is as the Gargoyle comes into play, you name a card. Everything after that instant is static, it can't be played and it's neither can it's abilities, ever. When the Gargoyle leaves play, as I mentioned above, nothing applies anymore. If he were to return to play, he is considered a new card (unless phasing in, see above) and all his come into play triggers are re-triggered independently.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voidstone Gargoyle has no triggered abilities. All his abilities are static. Even the one that makes you name a card, that's a static ability that modifies how he comes into play. Only abilities that start with when, whenever or at are triggered abilities.

As soon as he leaves play he stops denying anything from being played. Just like Glorious Anthem stops giving a bonus as soon as it leaves play. It's the exact same situation.
googa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, i love that people decide to say how they think the rules work...it took u all 5 posts to actually get the right answer to this dumbo's question. cheers
Thorns

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googa wrote:
ha, i love that people decide to say how they think the rules work...it took u all 5 posts to actually get the right answer to this dumbo's question. cheers

This is a forum for a reason.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1