Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Affinity kicked in the balls, again.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
KeySam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GoodFella i have to say i actual never realy played affintiy(some test games), so i am not sure about no rest for the wicked, i just think its funny with ravager, saccing your creas get them back, play them without any problems... And then your mutch less vounurable to shatterstorm, but maybe i am wrong and just dont understand well enough how this deck works, cause i actually never played it...

KeySam Wink
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A format where Affinity isn't played? Refreshing.
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="natethetank"]
KeySam wrote:
i like how shatterstorm and recall target Rolling Eyes

shatterstorm doesnt target...
GoodFella

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affinty managed to be competitive in legacy altought it did gain deciple and vial and in there shatterstorm and recall were available to hate with not to mention energy flux as a nother hate card... Affinity will still be one if not THE top deck in ext after the inv-onsl rotation and you can feel free to quote me on this...
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodFella wrote:
Affinty managed to be competitive in legacy altought it did gain deciple and vial and in there shatterstorm and recall were available to hate with not to mention energy flux as a nother hate card... Affinity will still be one if not THE top deck in ext after the inv-onsl rotation and you can feel free to quote me on this...

It isn't very good in Legacy though. Nobody plays the hate and the big tourneys still see no Affinity near the top. If everyone packed Null Rods, Energy Fluxes, Shattering Spree, Deeds, Seeds of Innocence, Serenity and other Affinity-hate, the deck wouldn't ever show up after round 1. Anyway, this just goes to show that the hate is indeed effective.
XZERO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i know the affinity very well and i use to play with it in legacy and extended, is good in both types.

you dont see affinity in top 8 in magicleague, because isnt
easy to play with it in legacy and not every1 know which are the 15 better cards for the sb, thats why u dont see affinity in legacy.

about the hate.

kataki, pyrite spellbomb-darkblast-or in some case kataki must block a myr enforcer to still alive

energy flux, 2U to cast is in legacy u use vial+discp.vault
shatterstorm, 2RR sorcerie the same i just said :s
serenity, 1W a good enchantment against affinity (affinity must kill the next turn with disciple+fling or do something about serenity)

but anyways i think affinity will be a tier deck anyways, remember u can use shrapnel blast in ext and fling in legacy.
XZERO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot pernicious deed - pithing needle or higher cost like
myr enforcer, somberhoverguard, ninja of deep hours, frogmite
XZERO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about lands, any1 who has played affinity must know to kp 1 or 2 lands in hand for any global card like akroma's vengance, kataki, pernicous deed, etc. until u get

darkblast for kataki
darksteelcitadel+glimmervoid for A.vengance
pithing needle for pernicious deed
etc.
Thorns

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodFella wrote:

That's because it isn't a force in Legacy and no one has to pack hate for it. In Extended however, it will be deadly so hate WILL be packed for it. The Legacy format is vast. Besides, the smaller format will make people use every tool they have, and Shatterstorm and Recall will be among the better ones.

XZERO wrote:
about lands, any1 who has played affinity must know to kp 1 or 2 lands in hand for any global card like akroma's vengance, kataki, pernicous deed, etc. until u get

darkblast for kataki
darksteelcitadel+glimmervoid for A.vengance
pithing needle for pernicious deed
etc.

You sometimes need those mana sources/artifacts right away. Besides, a Glimmervoid as an "answer" to Akroma's Vengance is pretty darn stupid.

And please don't triple post, there's an edit button, use it.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XZERO wrote:
you dont see affinity in top 8 in magicleague, because isnt
easy to play with it in legacy and not every1 know which are the 15 better cards for the sb, thats why u dont see affinity in legacy.

I'm not talking about Magic-League, I'm talking about real tournaments. Many pros picked up Affinity for Legacy GPs at Philly and Lille thinking it'd be broken with all the good stuff allowed and not one of them came even close to Top 8. In the recorded local tournaments of over 50 players, the deck has had like 3 Top 8s total. It's just not very good compared to what you could be playing. It's also horribly misbuilt constantly, which is why it keeps losing to combo-decks and aggro alike. A good Affinity-build could be competitive in Legacy, but if that's the case, nobody has found it yet. If you pick up Affinity over Goblins, you're really just shooting yourself in the leg. They have the same good match-ups, except Goblins win against most of the time Affinity and do much better against control.
VacancyMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does no one think that this could be the best thing to happen to Affinity since Cranial Plating? Hurkyl's Recall is a very narrow card; it is generally impractical to maindeck. Shatterstorm is barely better than Granulate, a card that sees absolutely zero play in any format. These two cards are certainly an unfair trade for Pernicious Deed, an auto-include in one of the most resilient archetypes in Extended.

So now the Anti-Affinity Trinity appears to be Hurkyl's Recall, Kataki, War's Wage, and Ancient Grudge. The answer seems just too convenient: every one of these cards is countered by Spell Snare. So where does Affinity find space in the sideboard for an instant costing a single blue mana?

SB: -3 Stifle
SB: +3 Spell Snare

With just a small tune-up, the evil robots appear destined for Tier 1.
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VacancyMan wrote:
Shatterstorm is barely better than Granulate, a card that sees absolutely zero play in any format.

against affinity shatterstorm is infintely better than granulate
the best part about shatterstorm is that it hits the lands. there are plenty of ways to take out the first 1 or 2 waves of guys but its the 3rd and 4th waves that kill you. the only way to stop those extra waves is kill the lands
and shatterstorm does everything you need to do against affinity. takes out a wave of men, and the lands, AND the platings and needles.

Shatterstorm is a billion times better than granulate.
Streakz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so whats shatterstorm gona see play in, boros, loam AKA decks that all ready have hate for affinity?
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt affinity will still pick up wins here and there, but there WILL be so much hate for it that it will probrably die out for a little while until everyone drops the hate to deal with other decks, then wham, back on top again. And then the cycle repeats.
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streakz wrote:
so whats shatterstorm gona see play in, boros, loam AKA decks that all ready have hate for affinity?

well seing as affinity beat boros up pretty bad cuz it had plenty of answers to kataki, and loam loses all of its answers when the rotation.

shatterstorm will see play in any deck playing red that surfaces after the rotation. recall the same with blue decks.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3