Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Post Xth) Gro-a-zoo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dam... what other 1 drops would be good?
Shivan1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does gargadon fit here? I don't know that a 1-power 1 drop is all that great in the deck (meaning mogg fanatic or scorched rusalka) - this is more like gruul splash white. Gargadon could work though... chromatic star to feed tarmogoyf is another option.

If you want to keep the 1-drops perhaps some creature pump is in order here - thrill of the hunt, might of old krosa, brute force. (I like brute force here as it also pumps dryad)
Thorns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivan1 wrote:
does gargadon fit here? I don't know that a 1-power 1 drop is all that great in the deck (meaning mogg fanatic or scorched rusalka) - this is more like gruul splash white. Gargadon could work though... chromatic star to feed tarmogoyf is another option.

If you want to keep the 1-drops perhaps some creature pump is in order here - thrill of the hunt, might of old krosa, brute force. (I like brute force here as it also pumps dryad)

I think they mean 1-drop as a creature, generally, that's what aggro wants. Hmmm, here's a list of possible choices off the top of my head:
Magg Fanatic
Scorched Rusulka
Martyr of Ashes
Llanowar Elves
Spark Elemental
Seal of Fire (I consider it a "creature")
Frenzied Goblin
Skarrgan Pit-Skulk (though not exactly a turn 1 drop)
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brute force may fit the bill in all honesty. on a dryad its a +4/+4, the same on the 'goyf. i think we need something to give these guys trample tho, as anyone can use chump blockers to stall until they take control...
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorched rusalka may just be the answer! so control doesnt helix/fetters my creatures...
although rusalka and fanatic seems a bit much... i shall test and see what i can come up with
rockshard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concluded that Gargadon was terrible but that was before I realized it was a good way to sacrifice your stuff. (countering Faith's Fetters and Tendrils of Corruption) But still, if only there was a way to make sure you drew it in your opening hand and not later on.

Now that I think about it, Scorched Rusalka has a lot of the same issues as Gargadon. Good at first, bad later on. Thing is, Scorched Rusalka costs red mana, and that sounds like it could be a hassle. Or maybe not, since Tendrils and Faith's Fetters cost 4 so you will be able to have mana untapped by then.

Gargadon is terrible later on, Scorched Rusalka is still playable and at least deals 1 damage to the face. Scorched Rusalka also enables Scab-Clan Mauler (if you are running it), Gargadon does nothing.

Anyway, Mishra's Bauble is probably better than Chromatic Sphere, if you run either. Bauble is cheaper. You don't care about the color fixing.

Creature pump - I definitely like Brute Force, might even be a good replacement for Lightning Helix in a R/G build. Might of Old Krosa is just worse and is green. Thrill of the Hunt is.. well it seems bad. But if it was another color then it would actually be quite interesting. Brute Force it is.

1-drops are generally bad. You run them pretty much only to have some 1-drops.

...or to enable Scab-Clan Mauler. (in which case Rift Bolt and Seal of Fire fit the bill.)

But Scorched Rusalka actually has another purpose, it counters Tendrils and Fetters, and gives you more reach in general.

So yea, I think I'd try running Rusalka. I'd also run not Troll but Burning Tree Shaman.
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck is begging to be faster. against mono red/ monored with black splash it doesnt like all the utility
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grunt wouldnt be a bad addition, BUT it has the most unsynergistic links with the goyf
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2º list is betther than the 1º one, it uses the popular 20/20/20 (20 guys, 20 lands, and 20 other spells) but however quirion dryad is not that good, you should cut it and reeplace it with griffin guide which is betther because of all the individual removal + 2 kind of wraths

troll asceitc is betther on sb because of what some people already said, if you play against a deck that doesnt use wraths/dammnation you can sb in but that wouldnt be really likelly on M-L and nats because control is soo popular

you guys cant leave out scab-mauler, you use 12 cards that can pump him on turn 2 (seal of fire, Magg Fanatic, and rift bolt), but you may think on cutting out seal of fire to make room for llanowar elves because it gives you a 1º turn drop (creature) and can make your big guys come faster

gruul is going to be the most popular deck on nats and LCQ because DS seems to be gone (no seething song)...but i think that zoo would be a betther choice because uses a lot of burn, powerfulll guys and can have answers to wraths (griffin guide and saffi) soo is a good idea to find a perfect lists soon
Eldar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to run the pump spell version transform the deck to gaea's might get there in extended running boros swiftblade and allow for say turn 3 kills without any resistance of course, however by doing so your late game and your agro matchups will worsen. If you want to run rusalka or gargadon it is up to you. Rusalka is great vs control terrible vs. agro gargadon is great vs agro and sometimes okay against control depending if they play remand or not. The great thing about gargadon is that your opponent if he plays blue has to leave 2 mana open every turn simply because gargadon can come in at any time.

Griffin Guide is terrible in type 2 a format with infinite bounce and removal (not including wog or damnation) especially when it costs 3 mana and isn't direct burn or a powerhouse creature. Mauler isn't an auto include anymore simply because the best 1 drop in the deck is now gone and there are better creature options. Troll is fine main deck however there is no room to board him he is amazing against agro and control seeing as he normally warrants a wog/damnation by himself since its the only way to permanently deal with him. If he is bad in the matchup then side him out for say manabarbs which is amazing against control.
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

however griffin guide on a troll ascetic is usually gg. cut the dryad? are you crazy? it is a must kill for the opponent! and with all the cheap spells, it can get big fast. earlier i was testing againts brw control.
T1- Stomping ground, fanatic
T2- Horizon canopy, dryad (attack, 19)
T3- Mountain- seal of fire, mogg fanatic (attack, 15)
T4- Temple Garden, Goyf, lightning helix (12) (attack, 7)

he wraths away my board, i sac fanatics and seal. he goes down to 3. i top deck a rift bolt Wink
just to point out, dryad is awesome in the aggro matchup, so cheap it allows you to make it bigger so quickly
Eldar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I see your very small point. Griffin guide on an untargetable creature for your opponent is pretty much gg however that is one of the creatures in the deck and it just doesn't warrant a spot imo. I have been playing versions of zoogoyf for a while and it just can't handle more high cost in the deck, especially ones that most of the time will cause you to 2 for 1 yourself.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2