Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New GhaziGlare

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
TofuBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: The New GhaziGlare Reply with quote

So, I've recently been trying to bring back one of the old T2 decks. This one is a favourite of mine and so far it's been pretty decent in testing. Gentlemen and any possible ladies, I present the new GhaziGlare:

Land
4x Brushland
4x Temple Garden
4x Flagstones of Trokair
2x Plains
6x Forest
2x Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree

Creatures
3x Llanowar Elves
4x Paladin en-Vec
4x Seedborn Muse
3x Wood Elves
4x Birds of Paradise
3x Loxodon Hierarch
2x Selesnya Guildmage
3x Watchwolf
2x Saffi Eriksdotter
3x Scryb Ranger
2x Spectral Force

Other Spells
2x Congregation at Dawn
3x Glare of Subdual

Sideboard
1x Glare of Subdual
1x Loxodon Hierarch
4x Leyline of Lifeforce
2x Krosan Grip
3x Temporal Isolation
4x Luminesce

It's main function is an aggro deck. The Glares are in there for two main functions: The first being to tap down any would-be blockers, and the second being to stall against aggro. Saffi works to save your best critter when your opponent tries to wipe your board. Seedborn Muse works to give blockers on your opponent's turn while keeping up offense on your own and to provide alternate untapping methods for the Spec. Force. This deck should make a decent transition when Xth comes out since the only card that needds to be replaced is Wood Elves (easily replacable by Yavimaya Dryad or w/e). Any thoughts/suggestions?
KeySam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Ghazi glare has big problems with dstorm thats why i think it "died". 2. Maybe the rotation of 10th will solve this problem.

Now to your list, i dont like the fact you only play 2 selesnya Guildmage... And You should think about Timbermare hes a powerhouse with saffi pushing through 10 damage and hes a powerhouse with scryb .... Yea i think you could maybe cut the Watchwolfs for 1 more Selenensya and 2 TImbermares. Then i would cut 2 Congregations + 2 Paladin en vec and add 4 Glittering wish for searching and then of course change sideboard...
bgalb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any G/W should have atleast 4 Selesnya Guildmage in it.

oh, and can't u just side the Glare for aggro matches?
TofuBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KeySam: So far I have not tested against DStorm and I agree that it is probably an unfavourable matchup. As far as my protection against it, since they'll want to get it off ASAP they may not have enough mana to Gigadrowse all my source of white mana which post side can be used to Luminesce and Temp Isolation the Hellkites. Second, I have not considered timbermare in this deck. And the thing about the two Selesnya GMs is that I don't think I need more than two because having more than one in play is not as good as having the extra Guildmages being Watchwolves, and should they die for whatever reason, I have bigger threats I could play to make them regret their decision. Finally, cutting the Paladins and Congregations. Congregations help find Hierarchs vs Aggro which is difficult for most to handle. The Paladins on the other hand are a tough decision. I recently faced a UR Land Destruction deck that had wildfire in hand while I had 2 Paladins out. Needless to say he lost. They can also work as blockers versus big korlashes if I don't already have Glare out (this brings up a question I've had for ages: How come the people I play that are using Korlash never use Funeral Charm?). If I do replace them for Glittering Wish I have no idea what to take out of the SB.

@bgalb: I guess I could side them and they could be replaced by the Glittering Wishes KeySam suggested.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Smile

Edit: I am currently making a build that is incorporating your suggestions.
Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizon Canopy > brushland

Glittering Wish should definitely be in this deck.

Splash red for either demonfire or stormbind.

No Thelonite Hermit???? He was like one of the best cards in this deck last time I checked.
yavin1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW can deal with dstorm with that flash bird, aven mindcensor i think its called. Dstorm can win off luck against it, but probably it wont. Id MD some becuase dstorm is a very heavy meta player

also, worship with paladin may be a better combination versus dstorm.
tron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

segt's tiger
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think DS would see much play after 10º because seething song is not reprint, so only playing with rite of flame and lotus blooms seems like a bad idea, because not going off soo fast makes you weak against aggro (gruul would be a rally popular an strong deck, just as it is now) and control can just counter all your spells easilly

i played a GW version on my regs. making top-8 but it was an GW aggro not using glare on main (just 2 on sb) and it did use 3 aven mincensor on maindeck + 3 cop:red and 2 worship + 2 riftwepeer on sb, but i would change those 3 aven mincensor i used and maybe a hierarch to use 4 glitering wish and the sb tech with 1 congregation at down (you can fetch it to go for 3 hierarch against aggro or maybe saffis and solifuge against control) the glares the 4º hierarch etc

the deck i used with the change for glitering wish would be like this:

5 Forest
2 Flagstones of Trokair
2 llanowar reborn
4 Temple Garden
4 Horizon Canopy
3 Plains
2 vitu-ghazi

4 Savannah Lions
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Watchwolf
3 Saffi Eriksdotter
4 Selesnya Guildmage
4 Giant Solifuge
3 Loxodon Hierarch

4 glitering wish
4 Call of the Herd
4 Griffin Guide

with Sb being something like this:
3 glare of subdual
1 loxodom hierarch
2 congregation at down
3 stonewood invocation
3 spectral force
3 krosan grip
Sandro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about solifuge for a wish target?
bgalb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im actully playing a g/w that is very similar to destructor g/w...

but i added some woships MD and SB for some matches

5 [RAV] Forest (4)
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
2 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
3 [9E] Brushland
4 [RAV] Temple Garden
4 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
1 [9E] Plains (2)
2 [RAV] Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree

// Creatures
3 [9E] Savannah Lions
4 [9E] Llanowar Elves
4 [RAV] Watchwolf
3 [TSP] Saffi Eriksdotter
4 [RAV] Selesnya Guildmage
3 [RAV] Loxodon Hierarch
3 [GP] Giant Solifuge

// Spells
2 [9E] Worship
4 [TSP] Griffin Guide
4 [TSB] Call of the Herd
4 [FUT] Glittering Wish

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [TSP] Saffi Eriksdotter
SB: 1 [RAV] Loxodon Hierarch
SB: 1 [GP] Giant Solifuge
SB: 2 [9E] Worship
SB: 3 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [RAV] Glare of Subdual
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [FUT] Aven Mindcensor

i've got only 1 glare in side, cuz i donwt need more once i got glittering wish...
KeySam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that concgregation may find hierarchs, but with do so too and you could even pick congregation. And you can pick GLare which is more important. You can also put a Mystic enforce in side. I know that paladin en vec is good but playing 2 should realy be enough maybe 3. I dont like the 4 ofs, and 3 seleysinal is good, they create tokens which is most important to this deck. And like said above you can search for solifuge with glittering, which is just great vs other control decks. I just like the fact beeing ways more flexible with wish.
rdeg87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savannah Lions and worship are both gone in 10th Ed so these builds are redundant
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i didnt realize that lions and worship were gone on 10º but shouldnt be that hard to find a good G/W 1º drop to replace the lions, the worship i dont know how to replace it but is a matther of testing and waiting for the new T2 to be define
TofuBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current testing shows that most control will scoop after countless creatures thanks to Leyline. Definitely staying in the side.
Duodax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghazi Glare will become SOO strong after 10th...
I say only Sprout Swarm...
I play it with Red for Demonfire and Helix, but i think Helix is overkill in Glare.
(I play them mainly because of Dredge and Project X).
Of course is Glittering Wish is needed, it´s ubergood, especially with 3 colors choosing from.)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1