Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Anthem (G/W Aggro @ Stompy)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
kobisjeruk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: The Anthem (G/W Aggro @ Stompy) Reply with quote

Hi, do I need to do an intro about myself here?
This IS my first time posting....Maybe not.

Anyway, here's a deck that I'd bring to the Regionals (if I was going)*

The Anthem or G/W Aggro @ Stompy(not really) :-

// Lands
2 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
4 [RAV] Temple Garden
1 [RAV] Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
3 [9E] Brushland
5 [UNH] Forest
3 [UNH] Plains

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Watchwolf
4 [PLC] Sinew Sliver
4 [RAV] Loxodon Hierarch
2 [TSP] Spinneret Sliver
4 [9E] Llanowar Elves
2 [RAV] Birds of Paradise
3 [TSP] Serra Avenger
4 [CS] Ohran Viper

// Spells
2 [TSP] Stonewood Invocation
3 [TSP] Griffin Guide
2 [PLC] Gaea's Anthem
3 [TSB] Call of the Herd

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
SB: 2 [9E] Loxodon Warhammer
SB: 2 [TSP] Stonewood Invocation
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [9E] Defense Grid
SB: 2 [RAV] Glare of Subdual

Wait! Don't flame me just yet, check out my ramblings on these pile first or I might counter-flame you (or something to that effect).

Ok, now for single card explanation:

The mana making machine :-

2 Horizon Canopy - card drawing

4 Flagstones of Trokair - deck thinning, no, seriously, you want to thin your deck so that you could draw 'business spells' as they call it in the biz.

The critters :-

4 wolves, hierarch, elves, 3 CotH - backbone of the deck. Replace NOTHING for these cards.

4 Sinew, 2 Spinneret - quick, what does Spinneret Sliver do?** Anyway, this is replacable with anything that you desire and most of the time when I'm sideboarding...well, lets talk about that when we get there mmkay?

4 Ohran Viper - the rattlesnake element in multiplayer. Okay seriously this is good whether on offense OR defense. Even Akroma*** cower in fear when facing this dude.

3 Serra Avenger, basically a 4cc critters that you get to play WITH discount on the fourth turn. With plenty of critters at the 2cc slot (Spell Snare alert!), the drawback is negligable(sp?).

The um, things that is not mana making machine or critters :-

2 Stonewood Invocation - Surprise value to get you through the last couple of point. Don't even think about casting it to save your critters. Unless doing so means you get to kill those pesky angst-ridden lady with funky purple hair****.

2 Gaea's Anthem - not really the focal point of this deck ("Um, but it's the deck name?" Shaddup!). Replaceable when facing control.

3 Griffin Guide - can be anything actually, another anthem plus two warhammer or moldervine cloak. I spesifically choose guide because this is your anti-wrath***** plan. And nothing is funnier than a flying elephant.

Now, for the heated discussion of sideboard (Tech alert!) :-

3 Tarmogoyf, 2 LoxodonWarhammer - Comes in against Gruul and aggro in general. Replace Spinneret and something else.

3 Defense Grid, 2 Stonewood Invokation - Against control. What else?

3 Krosan Grip, 2 Glare - um, no comment. In case you're wondering, I don't know how to construct a good sideboard. Kinda like Chris Romeo but even worst. So use your own imagination mmkay?

That's all. Phew, I was just going to list the deck um, list...
Anyway, feel free to leave a comment and I encourage you to test this deck if you like to go into the red zone Wink

* - p/s: I'm not going.

** - 1G, 2/2 Everybody Reach tqvm.

*** - Just the fiery orange haired one, not the funky purple haired. Sad

**** - Yes, I know what you did last summer. Pretty obvious don't you think? (for those who still doesn't get it: Akroma, Angel Of Wrath)

***** - Not that it will stop Wrath of God or Damnation of course. But at least you get something out of that, which is more than I could say for anything else, even the eternal cloak a.k.a. Moldervine Cloak.
yavin1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, *id like to start off ** by saying that i *** don't know why**** im posting***** but i am******

*cut the slivers, get spectral forces and scryb rangers (very good)
**cut gaea's anthem for 2 more of force/scryb (four of each)
***Cut 1 elf, (5 mana producers turn 1 is fine. Use worship, MD it makes decks a lot harder to beat you
****make room for paladin en vec in SB and mor worship so you can hopefully beat Dstorm
*****Id put some mana fetcher, like yavimaya druid in. fit that in somehow. or seslyna GM for his pump ability
*******these astrisc things are really stupid. please don't use them.
HdH_Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akroma doesnt fear your Viper
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in Quebec? If so I really think you should go to Regionals.
zero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think in your sb you should:
-3 tarmogoyf +3 tormod's crypt
removes defense grids, if u want someone like this play 4 leyline of liferce
And please, add room for 4 aven mindcensor or you just auto-scopp against dragonstorm.
I also like more worshop over glare of sumdual but this is a personal choice.
kobisjeruk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: The Anthem Is No More Reply with quote

Thanx for all y'all kind words...
*ahem*

This is a homebrew...I put it up w/o referring to any particular G/W Aggro (except the list I've seen on mtg.com that does include Serra Avenger...although its the only card I remember from that list)

Little did I know a similar G/W Aggro had won a trial here at m-l some time ago. And thus I found my answer to "I know it sucks but what the hell should I replace this sliver package with?"

Here's the latest decklist :-
-1 Flagstones of Trokair
-1 Plains
+1 Brushland

-1 Birds of Paradise
-2 Spinneret Sliver
-4 Sinew Sliver
+2 Saffi Eriksdotter
+3 Selesnya Guildmage
+2 Giant Solifuge

-2 Gaea's Anthem
+1 Griffin Guide
+1 Call of the Herd
+1 Stonewood Invocation

And as for the sideboards :-
-1 Stonewood Invocation
-2 Glare of Subdual
-3 Defense Grid
+1 Tarmogoyf
+1 Krosan Grip
+4 Tormod Crypt

Before the flame start coming in, I just wanted to say that my result with the deck in its original form was quite favorable*. But, I noticed something when playing the deck. I kept sideboarding out the anthem and the slivers for (most of the time) Tarmogoyf and anything else that suits the meta (heh). Somehow I'm still not convince that Tarmogoyf should be in the maindeck (I kept typing Tarmogofy or Targomoyf for some unknown reason, maybe my brain is telling me something which I just can't interpret >.>). I also notice that while the combo of 2 flagstone is pretty neat, having your land drop for the turn comes into play tapped made it quite 'icky'. And this deck curve out on 4cc, therefore the lost of a single plains and birdies wont hurt much. The saddest part is that I have to take out the anthem because it does not serve any function here other than to pump your critters. But most of the time, you'll only have out no more than 4 critters (due to various removals etc *cough*WOG*cough*) which made it basically just +4/+4 effect. I'd rather play Stonewood Invocation than this 'puny' effect, so I did. Ironically, I think the latest decklist is more appropriate for the anthem.

Hmm...nahh.

Another thing, this deck is does not autolose to DS a.k.a. DragonStorm although it is not favorable for me pre/post-SB. So may I remind all of you the case of Howling Mine vs. Aggro where even in a field comprising of mostly aggro (30%), it got to the t8 just by sheer dumb luck. I'm not saying, hopefully DS-player screws up or anything. I tried the worship plan and you know what? With out something like ascetic or ledgewalker (Hmm, why didn't I put it here?) they could just burn all of your guys and swing for the win anyway. Or just remand the damn thing and combo out on the next turn anyway. So, that plan is no good. Hopefully the additional Stonewood in main and aggresive beatdown plan will bring fruition (the truth is, I just don't know how to deal with DS other than KGrip its Lotus during upkeep. Well, with the addition of saffi, maybe i can stay out of lethal range for a turn and just push through enough damage on my final attack).

Last thought, should I squeeze in Heartwood Storyteller somewhere in there (replacing what?) or the SB? With such a high cirtters count, it's very tempting (wanna WoG? sure, I'll draw a card). But thats just silly. I'm just kidding (maybe not). Anyway, this is it. So flame on~

p/s: I'm using this in the next trial, see you guys there. GL n HF.

-=/\/=-
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1