Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aven Mindcensor and Dragonstorm

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
aldaryn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Aven Mindcensor and Dragonstorm Reply with quote

Trying to find the right sb card for angelfire against dstorm..

If I have Mindcensor in play, and d-storm gets lucky enough to find a hellkite in their top 4 with their first dragonstorm copy, does the hellkite trigger resolve before the other copies of dragonstorm? So they can do 1 damage to the censor, kill it, and still hit me for 19 with the other hellkites?
maltabus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. If they get lucky, you're screwed.
ThePimpImp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention, they'll probably get hunted dragon as one of them to kill you. Also if they hit hunted they can play that, then shuffle and have another chance to hit hellkite. Mindcensor helps, but isn't the best answer.
Hank333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the odds of that happening?
i was think, you playinh angel fire, so they will go off when? turn 5-6, 4 if you let them... so they will go through how many cards? starting 7+ 4-6 draw steps+ 3-4 search cards and cantrips. now its likely that they will put at least 1 hellkite on the bottom or in there hand by then... and turning a hunted dragon doesn't do it for them so likes say 3 hellkites in deck. 3/45 cards. 1/15. or %6.666666666666 percent chance of them hitting? but that can vary alot depending on the situation. it can be as high as 4/40, 1/10, or %10 which is still not the best odds for them.

But hell, the other day i cast riddel of lightning, i had only 1 card that would win it for me, GAragon, and i scyed 3, nothing. NExt card garagon!!!! win... so when your playing the last round till top 8 vs dragon storm and its game 3, do you trust %10 odds? i don't, i want a %100 in my favor anwser...
Sampo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank333 wrote:
What are the odds of that happening?
i was think, you playinh angel fire, so they will go off when? turn 5-6, 4 if you let them... so they will go through how many cards? starting 7+ 4-6 draw steps+ 3-4 search cards and cantrips. now its likely that they will put at least 1 hellkite on the bottom or in there hand by then... and turning a hunted dragon doesn't do it for them so likes say 3 hellkites in deck. 3/45 cards. 1/15. or %6.666666666666 percent chance of them hitting? but that can vary alot depending on the situation. it can be as high as 4/40, 1/10, or %10 which is still not the best odds for them.

But hell, the other day i cast riddel of lightning, i had only 1 card that would win it for me, GAragon, and i scyed 3, nothing. NExt card garagon!!!! win... so when your playing the last round till top 8 vs dragon storm and its game 3, do you trust %10 odds? i don't, i want a %100 in my favor anwser...

Agreed... in fact I was the one you hit Garg vs haha. Yeah, with mindcensor you can get unlucky... sure it helps but I might run somethin different in the SB.
ThePimpImp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a decent answer for white decks not running blue. If your running blue you should be playing rewind +trickbind/shadow. Rewind is money in control matchups too. I prefer trickbind if you have a way to deal with 1 dragon, because of its possible uses in other matchups (most random ones)
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who plays angelfire says the biggest problem is that although it has more answers than boros it it has a way slower clock which gives them time to find gigadrowse so you can't play Trickbind. Honorable passage isn't enough because even if you aren't tapped out your clock allows them to kill you next turn unless you have WoG in hand. It also only runs Remand as their countermagic so it's quite dificult to stop them with that. Unlike Solar Flare it doesn't run Castigate, Stupor nor Persecute. So he says the he plays trickbind but he also wants something to play in case they're gonna tap him out. In those slots there's Aven Mindcensor, pilfirer and barbed shocker. He says Barbed Shocker has been working fine because he can usually play him turn 3 and attack on that turn (which is the earliest turn pilferer can attack) and while it requires some luck it's usually does more damage than it helps them. Sure you can net them 3 or 4 rites and one DS but that's probably if it was a bad player that kept a bad hand. In a normal situation the DS player would have already shaped his hand with sleight of hand and telling time, it increases the chances of them drawing a Dragon, it might spoil their well timed Lotus. He says he likes it more than pilferer or Mindcensor in his testing.
Cosmo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

againts mindcensor DS player can side in piracy charm. i just side in sulfur elemental. they improve the dranlu matchup becouse they mostly side out removal.
its like -4 remand
+4 sulfur elemental
Fargren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been testing Barbed Shocker against DS, but then, I play monored. You can probably find better answers in white and blue like commander and mindcensor.
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that storm put all of the copies on the stack at one time not one at a time. If so then you could not work around Aven Mindsensor in the way that you are talking about. But Sulfur Elemental is the best answer to Aven Mindsensor that Dragonstorm players have.
ant900

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3wind wrote:
I thought that storm put all of the copies on the stack at one time not one at a time. If so then you could not work around Aven Mindsensor in the way that you are talking about. But Sulfur Elemental is the best answer to Aven Mindsensor that Dragonstorm players have.

bit DS doesn't play sulfur elemental
ant900

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3wind wrote:

bit DS doesn't play sulfur elemental
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1