Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/W/R Control - Tell me what you think of this deck!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Ginksigerg

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: B/W/R Control - Tell me what you think of this deck! Reply with quote

Okay hey guys uh this is a deck i built that i think is pretty strong against todays metagame. it is a B/W/R Control Deck. It has a very strong matchup against dragonstorm and Gruul. It has a good matchup with control decks. because the areana's usually give me to much of an advantage. i don't know how good it is against dralnu since i haven't played against it yet. so here it is my deck list...

B/W/R control

Lands//23
Blood crypt - 3
godless shrine - 4
sacred foundry - 4
flagstones of trokair- 3
ghost quarter - 2
urza's factory-2
swamp-1
plains -1
Orzov Basillica - 2
boros garrison- 1

Creatures//7
Angel of Despair - 4
Bogardan hellkite - 3

Spells//30
Phrexian Arena - 3
Demonfire - 2
hide//seek- 2
mortify - 4
lightnigh helix - 4
wrath of god-4
castigate - 4
sacred mesa-1
orzov signet - 3
boros signet - 3

Sideboard//15
Hide//seek - 2
CoP: Red -2
Aven midcensor - 3 ~ ( for Dragonstorm matchup they have to find a hellkite in the top 4 cards)
extirpate-2
detritivore-2
yixland jailer - 4

If you have any suggestions please post... i am most likley i am gunna play this a regionals.
Thnx guys Very Happy Wink
KeySam

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would play withered wretch over yinxed yailer, cause he helps you the same way yixland does in dredge mu and he cant be killed by a single darkblast(they cant dredge it back if you play wisely). I think your dranlu mu shouldnt be good, but i guess there wont be too many dranlu decks in the regionals. Maybe detritcore and extirpates help.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this have a good match up vs G/R the only realy life gain that you have is Helix. This is bugging me as well why on earth are you not playing Firemane? You could cut the Mesa for one... Most peeps will blow an Extirpate on one (thinking that you are playing 4)... I think that would be better in that one of slot. An even better idea is Debitor's Knell. It is one of the most powerful permants in the format. I just think that the slot is a waste of time with all of the Sulfur Elementals that you will see...
Ginksigerg

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gruul matchup is alot better than people think i have castigates to get rid of there burn... my lightning helix pretty much kills any of there creatures other than solifuge and gains me 3 life. i have wrath for a board sweeper and hide//seek gains my atleast 4 life and takes a card from there deck and mortify kills some creature too. and that was one of the decks it was designed to beat along with dragonstorm.
Ginksigerg

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u are right about the firmeane tho
i think i will try it.. that also gains me life
Mihealsick

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: bwr control Reply with quote

Hey man, I've been playing this deck since last year's regionals, and placed in a few money events at scg with it. Usually I'm not one to be so critical about a decklist, but I hope I can give you some advice on the subject.

It is a pretty good deck, with really good matchup against Dragonstorm. It also goes around 60/40 with Gruul -and- Dralnu control. The deck has a lot of trouble with Tron, though--the match is possible to win, but definitely very difficult. Here's the build that I've been using.

4 Sulfur Elemental
3 Firemane Angel

4 Wrath of God
3 Hide/Seek
3 Castigate
2 Persecute
4 Lightning Helix
2 Condemn
3 Demonfire
2 Void
4 Phyrexian Arena
2 Orzhov Signet
1 Boros Signet

4 Godless Shrine
3 Sacred Foundry
2 Blood Crypt
1 Graven Cairns
2 New Benalia
2 Orzhov Basilica
1 Boros Garrison
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace
1 Urza's Factory
2 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Mountain

Sideboard options include Leyline of the Void, Extirpate, Detritivore, the other 2 Persecutes, the last Castigate and Hide/Seek, Sudden Death for Teferi/Pickles, Damnation, the other 2 Condemns, Sacred Ground, and maybe a Molten Disaster or two against Dralnu.

Your aggro and combo matchups are straightforward enough, but not as easy as you'd think. You have to hit a removal curve against aggro...condemn, helix, demonfire, wrath...all while gaining life to compensate for the damage you're taking anyways.

Control--especially blue control--is a difficult matchup. Nonblue control comes down to the Arena--if you get it and keep it in play, then you usually win. You should hold your hide/seeks so you can hide their Arenas if they play them. Against blue control, you need to assume the role of the beatdown. The important cards for you are Sulfur Elemental, Demonfire, Hide/Seek, and even Lightning Helix.

Good luck at regionals,
Mike Mihealsick
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1