Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Deck]: Tarmogoyf, the Erhnam for 1G

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> TimeSpiral Block Constructed (TBC)

What are your thoughts of/results with the deck?
I've tried it; this could be competitive!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
I've tried it, and it seems so-so. Maybe Tier 2.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
I've tried it, and lose almost every match with it.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
I haven't tried it, but it looks promising.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
I haven't tried it, but it looks like it sucks.
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

Kytep

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: [Deck]: Tarmogoyf, the Erhnam for 1G Reply with quote

I've been testing out Tarmogoyf in both T2 and TSP Block, and wow, is it amazing. It's really not difficult to put in cheap cards of every type into a deck, each of which are almost always good and useful on their own, but also make Tarmogoyf a huge, cheap beatstick which can come out early enough to duck under countermagic and big enough to make even aggro play defense on a tight clock. Here's the TSP Block deck I'm working on so far:

"Tarstick" (for lack of better name)
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Rift Bolt
4 Call of the Herd
4 Edge of Autumn
4 Evolution Charm
4 Sudden Shock
4 Chromatic Star
2 Seal of Primordium
2 Stormbind

4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Gemstone Mine
2 Dryad Arbor
2 Forest
4 Mountain

There's a lot of synergy with this deck. Note that although it is 60 cards, it plays more like 44 or even 40 because the Wraiths and Stars always "cycle", Edge of Autumn and Horizon Canopy almost always "cycle", and Terramorphics of course thin out a land apiece.

Although I of course miss Seal of Fire from T2, this deck can but out a very large Tarmogoyf very quickly, often attacking for 5 (or more) on Turn 3. The last time I checked, a 5/6 (or 6/7) for 2 mana is a pretty good deal.

Here are some interesting notes and cool tricks up the deck's sleeves:

1) The deck pretty much runs on 2 mana, so you can usually cycle Edge of Autumn at will, usually without slowing you down at all.

2) Speaking of Edge of Autumn, it cycles at instant speed for no mana, making a nice +2/+2 surprise when you need it (not to mention makes Tarmo's that much bigger in general, for no mana, and permanently). Can be a +3/+3 difference with Dryad Arbor.

3) Evolution Charm is great in this deck. It can give your Goyf flying to pound in the last points of damage, bring it back from the grave after it's been Damned away, or even get a land when you need it. It also counts as an Instant, which can pump your Goyf.

4) There are usually targets for Seal of Primordium (e.g., opponents' Lenses, Arrows, Automatons, Trisks, Stormbinds, etc.), which often give you an additional +2/+2 on your Goyf for only 1G (their Artifact + your Seal). If nothing else, the deck has 7 potential Seal targets (Stars, Stormbinds, and other Seals) if your opponent is so unkind as to not give you some of their own.

5) Most people play Terramorphics in TSP Block, which is often a "free" +1/+1 on your Goyf.

6) Even if your opponents counter your non-Goyf spells, they all still go to the grave. And hey! Look, there's now an instant in the graves as well as my countered sorcery! +2/+2! Thanks, blue-playing opponent!

Of course, the deck is fairly dependent upon Tarmogoyf (although Call of the Herd is a nice alternate win condition), and there are games where you just can't seem to draw one to save your life. There are also games with many decks where you get mana screwed/flooded. Such is life. But at least with this deck, your "cantrips" make the deck that much smaller to pull that 4-of early, which is almost always the case. Turn 4 is usually the latest a Goyf will hit, and it's very often Turn 2 or 3. And, as mentioned, the Charms can keep bringing them back if needed.

Just watch out for Tormod's Crypt. (Then again, Goyf works on your opp's grave too, which is great Smile But Withered Wretch is VERY painful (save Shocks/Bolts for it).

Sideboard is still under construction, but will likely have at least Rough/Tumble to deal with weenies and maybe Pickles.

Kytep

Last edited by Kytep on Wed May 09, 2007 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
zero

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think u need more threats, extirpate your goyf=gg. might of krosa is pretty useless running just 10 creatures, 4 of them fade away. boom boost is pretty crap here too, you should try storbind and call of the herd as a sorcery card thats goes to grave easily and you got a 3/3 dude for 3 mana with the flashback incentive. another card choices would be dead/gone / sudden shock / fiery temper (good for stormbind) if u want some instants
tinman

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: replys Reply with quote

actually i dont think he belongs in aggro at all. what i do think is that CONTROL decks just found their biggest cheapest finisher ever In this standards color rich enviroment i dont think splashing for 1G will hurt.

Think about it most control decks these days run backup in either recursion or counter magic and dont play their threats till at least turn 6 un til then they just play reactivly because they dont have the mana to do anything but keep up with aggro or counter combo go off attempts for 2 measly mana control should splash for this guy.
Booya

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else seeing this as a bomb in Dredge?
Memmy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Guys This is TSB Block, which has the crappiest counters EVER! Delay vs. Aggro is bad, the only good counter is Cancel, and it works very good onlu with MUA (Mono Blue Aggro for u new players) And rarely is seen in @ coloured Decks. So Nobody plays control in TSP block, maybe like 10%, as you see only Mono Blue Control, which is more morphic, than countering, other than that top decks are Pickles, Mana Ramps, MBA, MRA, UG Aggro, and others, rarely u see control in tsp block.

Also Like Person said before your whole deck revolves around tarmogylf, what if u dont draw him? there is no draw in that deck, there much mana excel, but then u said u only run 2/3 lands per game, and also what do u hav for MBA, or Pure Hate decks, and if they play counters, tarmogylf comes out turn 2 - Delay, u have 3 more turns before it comes out, or if they run LD, they could cancel, and good-bye your win condition u need about 1 or 2 more win conditions, all deck have them, MBA has Korlash, Neither Traitors, Shadow and also being pumped, Mana Ramp has Spectral Force, and Hellkite, Pickles has Pickles combo (2 cards) with Body Double etc. You need more than 1 win condition.

Memmy Out Cool
kcaccidental

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booya wrote:
Anyone else seeing this as a bomb in Dredge?

No, because Golgari Grave-Troll will always be bigger, and he recurses all by himself, while feeding your dredge engine. Tarmogoyf doesn't get as big as quickly, doesn't dredge, and needs extra cards to bring him back after being Damnated.
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memmy wrote:
Remember Guys This is TSB Block, which has the crappiest counters EVER! Delay vs. Aggro is bad, the only good counter is Cancel, and it works very good onlu with MUA (Mono Blue Aggro for u new players) And rarely is seen in @ coloured Decks. So Nobody plays control in TSP block, maybe like 10%, as you see only Mono Blue Control, which is more morphic, than countering, other than that top decks are Pickles, Mana Ramps, MBA, MRA, UG Aggro, and others, rarely u see control in tsp block.

Memmy Out Cool

Um did u not know that the only TSP block PT event was won by a UB control deck and more than 1/2 in the T8 were cntrl?

and yes it ran cancel and damnation o my
Kytep

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:
i think u need more threats, extirpate your goyf=gg. might of krosa is pretty useless running just 10 creatures, 4 of them fade away. boom boost is pretty crap here too, you should try storbind and call of the herd as a sorcery card thats goes to grave easily and you got a 3/3 dude for 3 mana with the flashback incentive. another card choices would be dead/gone / sudden shock / fiery temper (good for stormbind) if u want some instants

Good call on Call of the Herd (please pardon the pun). It's in for Boom/Bust. Yes, I have found the need for more burn (Withered Wretch being a particularly pointed example), so Sudden Shock is in. Might wasn't bad, but yeah, Shock is probably better.

I'm not so sure about Stormbind, though. I'm trying out a copy or two, but 1) The deck runs on such little mana, and Stormbind seems to want more; 2) I'd like to be able to sac my enchantment if I want to pump the Goyf; 3) Seal of Primordium seems to come in handy a lot. But I'll keep testing with Stormbind too.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions!

Kytep

Last edited by Kytep on Wed May 09, 2007 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kytep

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memmy wrote:
Also Like Person said before your whole deck revolves around tarmogylf, what if u dont draw him? there is no draw in that deck, there much mana excel, but then u said u only run 2/3 lands per game, and also what do u hav for MBA, or Pure Hate decks, and if they play counters, tarmogylf comes out turn 2 - Delay, u have 3 more turns before it comes out, or if they run LD, they could cancel, and good-bye your win condition u need about 1 or 2 more win conditions, all deck have them, MBA has Korlash, Neither Traitors, Shadow and also being pumped, Mana Ramp has Spectral Force, and Hellkite, Pickles has Pickles combo (2 cards) with Body Double etc. You need more than 1 win condition.

Memmy Out Cool

Thanks for your constructive comments. Actually, the deck has quite a bit of draw: Street Wraith, Chromatic Star, Edge of Autumn (when cycled), and Horizon Canopy. Also, Terramorphics help thin the deck. So drawing a Goyf usually isn't much of a problem. That said, you are right; I do need more win conditions. As a previous poster suggested, I am now running Call of the Herd in place of Boom/Bust.

I haven't playtested against MBA yet, but the strategy against most decks is the same: Race them with a very large (usually 4/5 or 5/6) Turn 2 or 3 Goyf. Will it work against MBA? I don't know yet, but hopefully the new addition of Sudden Shock will also help in that area. And I do plan to run Rough/Tumble in the sideboard, as previously mentioned.

Thanks again for the help!

Kytep
Kev
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your information. You do not need to kill something else with the Seal, it can kill itself because of the way the order goes of first targetting and then paying cost for spells and abilities. It can thus see itself as the target and then pay the cost of sacrificing.
Yavimaya73

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you mentioned, Extirpate is your enemy. And any deck running black will have it in side if not at least 1 mained. I tried running him and he just is not as strong as he would be in any other format. I went up against mono red and it just Word of Seizinged it and sacrificed it to a suspended Gorgadon. It went up against a mba and it got killed many times over by a regenerating Korlash or chump blocked by an Augur and still regenerated. I had almost the same build, though I didn't use that creature/land as I assumed that was a bad card since it dies to almost anything that deals 1 damage to a creature. (If it didn't have summoning sickness, I think it would have been better.) The Charms are great and does give it that one turn flying bit, but...that is rarely enough to kill them. I played against a mono blue pickles and it just either countered my goyf or comboed me down. Call of the Herd is a good second choice as a threat...I just dont know, I'd like the creature to be good in block, just not sure that it is. Keep trying, that's all I can say.
PsyK

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmogoyf is gonna be big imo. This card is just such an undercosted beater. However that said i see this as seeing play in far more focused decks. Maybe something like this:

BG Rack

4x Dryad Arbor
2x Graft land
4x Zoetic Cavern
4x Gemstone Mine
6x Swamp

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Augur of Skulls
4x Darkheart Sliver

4x The Rack

4x Funeral Charm
4x Stupor
4x Extirpate
4x Cheap removal (can't think of the right one off the top of my head)
4x Something else good and 3cc or under, possibly call of the herd.

That's very rough and may not even be 60 cards, but you get the point.

p.s. i would of designed a better deck but i'm at university and have limited time.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it being played in a MORE focused deck at all. In any good R/G agro deck, this guy will end up being a 2/3 or 3/4 on turn 2-3 (Terramorphic or Rift Bolt, Keldon Marauders die eventually, as does Emberwilde Augur, and any instant burn/pump spell helps out.) And all you need really is a 3/4 for 2 to make it a better replacement in Gruul for Scab-Clan, who has the potential to get bigger all the time.

He's definitely a good card in this build too, but this one seems like it might be a little TOO specialized, at the cost of playing some somewhat-subpar cards (all the cycling cards merely to search for 'Goyf instead of playing more diverse threats, for example).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> TimeSpiral Block Constructed (TBC) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1