Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts/Opinions on this MRA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
mp26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avanalnce riders are excessive, you have enough land destruction. You might nto bleive me, but browbeat is not that good. It will be bad in many situtions. Rift Bolt and Char and good possible additons, along with maybe giant soligue or Jaya ballard Task mage. You can porbally add another keldon megaliths aswell.
allstar997

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested a deck somewhat like yours for a little bit recently. I didn't really go the LD route that you took. Just for food for thought heres something like the list i was fooling around with (Pre-Future Sight):

4 Blood Knight
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Sulfur Elemental
4 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

4 Seal of Fire
4 Rift Bolt
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Char
4 Browbeat

18 Mountain
2 Ghost Quarter

but as for improvements for your version i definitely agree with mp26 that the riders are probably overkill. they're more suited to a more full ponza type of deck. also Magus of the Scroll seems weak to me because most of your spells are higher in cost so they dont get dumped as quick but i cant argue with its usefulness in the mid to late game. Also, I think Magus of the Moon is probably more of a sideboard card although you can argue for it being maindecked with the way the format is these days. Oh and I found maindeck Sulfur Elemental was my best friend. hes an efficient, uncounterable, threat that also happens to kill many of the early white creatures like savannah lions. and I second the recomendation of Char. That card has won me quite a few games.

But yah I'm gonna stop myself from rambling too much. Suffice it to say that it seems like your deck is sort of pulling in two directions. the more controlling LD side and the aggressive browbeat side. I would probably try to pick one side to lean towards to make the deck more focused.

-Allstar

Oh and one last thought. I know this sort of smears the whole Red Deck Wins image but one of the last things i tried out some was adding in 4 blood crypt and 4 sulfurous springs in place of 8 mountains in order to splash dark confidant in there. im pretty sure i took out jaya for him. but yah its something to look into to shore up the card advantage side of things. However, it starts to head in the direction where it'd be more useful to just switch over to a full BR deck.
Noob3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allstar has good suggestions, but this is what i'd suggest:

sulfur elemental. atleast 3x, you can't NOT run this beast!

jaya ballard. easily run 1x, i wouldn't run more. take out the akroma, and doing this you could probably..

RUN LESS LANDS! yes. running less lands is just that good. since you don't have any visible budget, add CHAR. it's probably the best burn at the moment. You NEED rift bolt.

And Giant Solifuge, the best 4 drop in the format!
kby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

//Name: Sligh - Version 0.9a

// Lands
    2 [FUT] Keldon Megaliths
    16 [CS] Snow-Covered Mountain

// Creatures
    4 [FUT] Emberwilde Augur
    4 [FUT] Storm Entity
    4 [PLC] Keldon Marauders
    4 [TSP] Magus of the Scroll
    4 [GP] Scorched Rusalka
    4 [PLC] Blood Knight
    4 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide
    2 [PLC] Sulfur Elemental

// Spells
    4 [DIS] Seal of Fire
    4 [TSP] Rift Bolt
    4 [RAV] Char

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [CS] Mouth of Ronom
SB: 4 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
SB: 4 [CS] Skred
SB: 2 [PLC] Sulfur Elemental
SB: 1 [TSP] Empty the Warrens

just won a mini with it, testing all day, fun deck wins lotz.

Also, i have x4 of Solifuge, but i rarely get to 4+mana but when i get to it, its already over by then.
|Friso|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kby wrote:

just won a mini with it, testing all day, fun deck wins lotz.

Also, i have x4 of Solifuge, but i rarely get to 4+mana but when i get to it, its already over by then.

Maybe you should go: -4 simian spirit guide + 4 lands??
toguppy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SB: 4 [CS] Mouth of Ronom
SB: 4 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
SB: 4 [CS] Skred
SB: 2 [PLC] Sulfur Elemental
SB: 1 [TSP] Empty the Warrens

.... you run 18 lands and you run 4 mouth of ronom in sb? it requires 5 mana just to pop... am i missing something?
toguppy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts/Opinions on this MRA Reply with quote

Kaiser wrote:
// Lands
22 [TSP] Mountain (1)
1 [FS] Keldon Megaliths

// Creatures
4 [TSB] Avalanche Riders
3 [FS] Magus of the Moon
4 [TSP] Magus of the Scroll
4 [PC] Blood Knight
1 [PC] Akroma, Angel of Fury
2 [9E] Thundermare

// Spells
4 [9E] Volcanic Hammer
4 [TSB] Browbeat
2 [TSP] Wheel of Fate
4 [TSP] Sudden Shock
3 [9E] Stone Rain
2 [CS] Cryoclasm

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [PC] Akroma, Angel of Fury
SB: 4 [9E] Defense Grid
SB: 4 [TSB] Wildfire Emissary
SB: 4 [9E] Pyroclasm

The mana base is sketchy. I'm thinking of changing all the mountains into snow-covered ones and adding skred to the main deck. I'm not having problems winning with this deck, as the main problem with most red decks is running out of a hand, I have yet to find an opponent who takes the 5 from browbeat, but if they do there is wheel of fate for back up. Only 1 Akroms main deck cause she's kinda of expensive, but 3 more in SB In case of counter deck. IF anyone wants to test this go ahead and let me know what u find out. Magus of the Moon pretty much fucks control decks when he hits play.

get rid of the thundermare's they are very very bad... you wont ever cast one and if you do chances are a demonfire would have won you the game much earlier...
akroma is plain and simply bad in this deck... you want to be running early drops so that your ld can hold your opponent off while they beat him up. ok so run efficient drops like a walking lava axe in keldon marauders or you can even try rift elemental to go with the wheel of fortunes

mana accel is probably your best bet with the ld that your trying to put in the deck. cards such as rite of flame and simian spirit guide would give you the 2nd turn magus or stone rain your deck wants.

sulfur elemental should definitely be included in there and of course scorched rusalka aswell as efficient creatures that deal alot of damage over time.

if i were you id personally be plaing something along the lines of

// Lands
2 [FS] Keldon Megaliths
16 [CS] Snow-Covered Mountain
2 [CS] Mouth of Ronom

// Creatures
4 [TSB] Avalanche Riders
4 [FS] Magus of the Moon
4 [PLC] Sulfur Elemental
4 [PLC] Blood Knight
4 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide
4 [GP] Scorched Rusalka

// Spells
4 [TSP] Rift Bolt
4 [9E] Stone Rain
4 [DIS] Seal of Fire
4 [RAV] Char

on a side note id personalyl say go norin the wary JK dont!!!

[/u][/i]
kby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@toguppy: well, sb was just a bunch of cards, such as the x1 empty the warrens(which is pointless), but when u put in 4 land, and -2land-2spells it works out, plus its there for Tefferi.... which i don't plan on using the land till lategame anyway.

@lauq: well, the spirit guides allow for ealier casting of key spells(also, tempo) such as a blood knight, or either building up storm count w/ 1cc spells to drop a turn 2 3/3 hasty(which is common) so, try it out, works nice.
--also, was sugguested by someone and proved to be key in the mini i was in--

as for PROS/CONS of the deck:

pros:deck just completly out tempos anything slower then boros, just completly over extend and go in for the kill, deck will have outs if you obviously can't get the kill, such as the Hammer-Creature and rusallka.

cons: like most aggro decks, running out of strength is the downfall, but the pinging land does help a little, i might put in 2 more.

====
deck is still in testing phase, as i have changed it aprox. 7 or so times yesterday(.1/.4/.5/.6/.7/.9)
------
as for the lands, the deck runs nicely w/ 18 lands, so its all good.

Also, previously i had grapeshot in another version, but its stormcount got to 3 at max most times.... so i ditched it.
------
for Magus of the Moon, i might put him maindeck, i have yet to decide, but hell...he stoped a Gruul deck in its tracks, which prevented them from green mana, kind of a nice thing to do vs that deck.

=====
also, since i have 18 lands, average land count by turn 4 is 2 lands, with casting cost of deck being somewere along 1.75 ish average CC. Some rare cases of showing 6 land by turn 10, which is crazy and is uber bad luck.

/////////////////////

well, i don't really see any problems with the deck, it is made to harass control decks, sb is built to handle tefferi and other aggro decks.

--what should i remove MD for md'n MotM?
Eldar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest this build looks really slow for agro. Here is my build of the deck post FS.

Creatures: 20
4-Sulfur Elemental
4-Magus of the Moon
4-Scorched Rusalka
4-Blood Knight
4-Keldon Marauders

Spells: 20
4-Char
4-Rift Bolt
4-Seal of Fire
4-Volcanic Hammer
4-Cryoclasm

Land: 20
3-Keldon Megaliths
14-Snow-Covered Mountain
3-Ghost Quarter

Sideboard:
3-Giant Solifuge
4-Ghostfire/Demonfire (metagame choice)
4-Defense Grid
4-Paralletic Feedback
allstar997

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar: I like your build pretty well. However, I have to recommend my favorite new red card for this style of deck, Emberwilde Augur. I have tested Keldon Marauders as well and while I really liked them I've found that I tend to like the Augur better. The reason is that even though the Marauders are bigger and therefore have a better chance of blocking and killing another creature they just dont stick around long enough. Whereas the Augur can stick around and attack hopefully until you're ready to sac it and turn it into a volcanic hammer. I like to think of it as a sort of volcanic hammer with legs. Also, I can't say that I personally agree with the Cryoclasm MD but this is very much a metagame choice so if you're confident in your read on the metagame then they're definitely a fine choice. Finally, I have some other sideboard options for you to consider:

Greater Gargadon (takes awhile to rear his ugly head but hes cheap and he can turn the tides against another aggro deck with bigger creatures or creatures that you can't burn away)

Tormod's Crypt (if you expect some dredge to show up this is your card. thats all there is to it)

Something else to explore for the maindeck is the snow idea that was mentioned earlier. I've been testing this out some and I like it pretty well so far. it's a little restricting in terms of wanting to have enough snow-covered's to make Skred worthwhile but you also get access to phyrexian ironfoot if you choose.

Anyways, that's all I got.
Egnirys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only qualm with MRA is that Gruul seems better.
googa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP PLAYING BROWBEAT UNLESS U CAN FORCE THE OPTION YOU WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
allstar997

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

googa: I think you're missing the point. Having quick creatures and a decent amount of burn in a deck like this does usually allow you to force the 3 card option. While there are some situations where your opponent is at a higher life and you really want the 3 cards rather than the 5 damage, it doesn't matter which most of the time. early on its 5 to the head. Later on if you have a creature or two on the board and they are at around 10 life give or take its almost always 3 cards. either way it's a highly efficient card in my mind.
Volcanon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my MRA. Comments Pls.

/// Sideboard
SB: 4 Cryoclasm
SB: 4 Phyrexian Ironfoot
SB: 3 Ghostfire
SB: 4 Blood Moon

/// Land
2 Scrying Sheets
16 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Keldon Megaliths

/// Spells
4 Emberwilde Augur
4 Blood Knight
4 Scorched Rusalka
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Magus of the Scroll
4 Seal of Fire
4 Sulfur Elemental
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Rift Bolt
4 Char

I was playing Gruul GM but it felt like it was basically just a bear while Augur is a delayed hammer to the face.

Is Magus of the Moon better than Blood Moon? He seems to have a habit of eating removal considering he's a grey ogre.

Also what do you ppl think of Sparkspitter?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2