Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your belief system.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic

Do you belive in god?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 17 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 35

RichardDWade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about time someone referenced the flying spaghetti monster... and what about the church of the subgenius. All religions are extremely silly or serious in a relative sort of way.
nasa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could god make a boulder so heavy not even he could lift it?
Hank333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasa wrote:

Well i would say no, not a regular boulder, he would have to create a god proof boulder, and not being able to lift it wouldn't really have anything to do with its weight, and that question was already asked in this thread. Plus, god would automaticly have some sort of contigencey where he would change space and time in order to be able to lift it, if he really needed too.

And fuck, giant flying frozen meatballs... tsunamis of tomato sauce, sounds delisoiusly devistating.
Malhavoc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasa wrote:

Nice question. The real question behind it however is: did God make physics laws which bind him too? In short, do miracles exist?

Answer: as any other religious question, it is impossible to answer, after all I'm atheist! Wink
VacancyMan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasa wrote:

I think I've summoned a unique answer, as I have not seen it anywhere else (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Assuming that by "God" you mean an all-powerful, conscious being, then the answer is not only that yes, God could create such a boulder, but that he would be compelled to do so by his own omnipotence. Take this far enough and the conclusion is that God would inevitably crush himself under his own infinite power (he would be compelled to create a universe so inhospitable/weapon so powerful/a sorrow so guilt-inducing that even "He" could not survive it. Otherwise, he would simply be unworthy of the title "Almighty"

Note, however, that God need not have the qualities one might assume him to have:

- God is not necessarily infinitely powerful

If God was not omnipotent in the traditional sense (the one that brought about the famous question above), but rather extremely powerful at least to the point that humans were unable to comprehend the magnitude of the power, then how would one tell the difference between the two? Is there a difference between the two?

- God is not necessarily a conscious being

Just because the creation of man, or the universe, or anything occured does not necessarily mean that it was a conscious action of a being. The idea of God as a judge of man or any other kind of decision-maker is easy to believe because as humans we find consciousness to be an intuitive concept. Perhaps "God" is simply an interaction of aimless natural forces whose capabilities or even existence our brains were simply not constructed to comprehend fully. I'll admit, though, that it's not as much fun that way, and it takes away some spectacular literary opportunities.
xDaN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say GOD DAMN like every person writes a 100 sentence post to this.. this is all simple.. who the fuck cares? This is a waste of my life before I go to the "end" as td says jajaja Smile
Kaesh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Your belief system. Reply with quote

Hank333 wrote:

I have no faith in our system. Politics in America, and worldwide really, is a total failure that will lead up to world war 3 sooner or later.

Agreed it is a total failure. However, imo it will lead to world war 3 even though it's a failure, not because of it. War between two systems indicates they work well, because it means they both defend their affairs valiantly.
Hank333 wrote:

I have no faith in our religious systems. Catholicism is a joke. I believe the many people who are atheist are atheist because they see how narrow minded Christians and the likes can be and assume that if they are wrong, that there is no god. That is a trap by the devil, or whatever you call the dark side.

I'm Catholic, and I think most of today's problems come from the separation of Church and state and other abominations of the Revolution.
Hank333 wrote:

I know MTG players tend to be rather intelligent. I know intelligent people tend to put faith into science. I have little faith in science. While you can use the scientific method to determine the outcome of specific things, its limited by what us humans already know how to control, so thing we have no comprehension of are still very close to impossible to discover.

You should familiarise yourself with the works of Julius Evola.
Hank333 wrote:

We humans are dumb; we need to admit that to ourselves, we are all falling into a trap. There is a small but powerful group of ultra-rich elitist leading us into a slave system called the new world order; we will be slaves to an economy, to money and the desire for worldly things.

Wrong. The elitists don't care. The trap is set by people why try to join the elites themselves by establishing that new world order.
Pekken
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapere aude!

http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/michelangelosbrain.html
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2