Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Events at Virginia Tech

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic

Should Schoold World Wide Contain Better Security Systems?
Yes
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
No
56%
 56%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 30

FearTheBuzz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as taking away guns, there is no viable way to do so ever in the US.

But as far as Cho Seung-Hui's reasons for the shooting no one has been able to determine anything because the officials that are investigating the massacre can't find any information on this practically "invisible" loner. But today NBC recieved a package with pictures and videos taken and sent during the two hours between to two shootings. I assume by tomorrow whatever we're allowed to know about those contents will be released and perhaps we'll be able to delve deeper into why such a thing happened.

On the lines of security, it is impossible to have thorough security on college campuses without making the schools run like military bases. Also many cities in the US are only there because of what the college brought to their towns and those campuses are very large and have an extreme amount of space which cannot be effectively secured. I myself am fortunate to go to a large university with a compact campus in a very large city. But either way, if someone snaps, you cant prevent something from happening unless we start arresting people for "thoughtcrimes".
Jedidawn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ideas for "School security systems" seem to be all related to gun control. While this is a good idea in the US, it is not really relevent worldwide as the US is one of the only countries stupid enough to let people have guns anyway. An even better system would be to just ban guns completely. How many school shootings have you had in the last ten years? Now think of how many there have been in Europe. All these killings are caused by the availability of guns... and it seems in this state you can buy guns even without a backround check. Stop praying for the people who have died; go out and ban guns!
Bigshow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokusho6 wrote:
Americans shouldnt have the right to bear arms?

Well, as seen on family guy, the fore fathers actually meant that you could hang " Bear Arms " from the actual beast in your house, guns are in no way arms.
DaanP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people who say: 'when you want a gun, you can get one, even if they are restrited and illegal' are ignorant.
I live in Holland, sure i can get a gun, we have guns, so i'll think ill walk across the street to the nearest gun shop, like my cousin in the U.S., and get me one. fuck. we don't have gun shops in holland, so where do i get a gun now? i have no freaking clue. sure if i were to look all over the internet and ask everywhere, maybe i'd find one. but im mentally sick and very depressed, so all that searching is kind of a big issue, let's just say im not in the right state of mind. meh ill guess i wont shoot op my school and just jump off a bridge/building/in front of a train.
sick and retarded people are not U.S's monopoly. they're all over the globe. big difference however is that these people in the U.S. can get to vicious murder weapons without having to go through a lenght of trouble.
Sure such things CAN and WILL happen in Europe/rest of the non U.S. world (like erfurt, germany) but the numbers are in no way comparable to the figures from the U.S.
And don't say: we need to defend our familys, with loads of guns. but against what? wait I know! AGAINST OTHER FREAKING GUNS!!!!! where is the logic in that.

anyway have a nice day, cheerio!
Shagrath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

obv that this kind of things happen often in USA, every1 can buy a gun..... a kid with 16 years old can buy a gun but he can buy alcohol only at the age of 21, that's ridiculous.
But well, if a random douchebag like Bush can be president, i guess that anything can happen.

Posted by Kokusho6 :

CMA-Flippi are you implying that we as Americans shouldnt have the right to bear arms?

if we didnt have the right to bear arms any nation could and would invade us and we wouldnt be able to over throw our government if they got to powerful

I think that the COMMON CIVILIAN shouldn´t be allowed to buy guns , and if u are worried about all the hatred against your country, u should blame just 1 thing : your foreign policy. Americans think that they are the "guardians of the free world", and because of that they think that they can interfeer in other countries' internal issues. An example of that is Iraq.
BusDriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh,
It's accually incorrect to think that one couldn't get a gun in Europe. All countries allow guns to be sold. The diffrence is that we don't have such a gun-culture, people that have firearms in their house are weird here.
On the security measures: that is rediculous.
Who wants to run trough a meal detector eveyr day when going to school? Thanks, but I like wearing a belt. Besides, it would require quite an infrastructure for big unis to check everyone coming trough and alot of guards.
In antwerp (Belgium) we had a guy going out on the street and randomly started to shoot people(wellnon-white people but ok). The asian guy could have jsut taken it out elsewhere or w/e, a restaurant, a bar, the street: the result is the same.
Things like these just happend once in a while, it's fucked up, but there is like 10 guys on 6billion going bereserk a year, not much one can do about it. A thousand times more people die in car crashes, but everyone still goes out on the street (prolley more afraid of a guy drawing a gun). Heck, jeeps are even insanely popular, altho they are famous for killing people, even at low-speed accidents.
This thing is being blown up, and the more attention it keeps getting, the bigger the chance gets copy-cats start popping up.
Bigshow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i be the first to say djww, shhhh, and edit asap. By that your allowing people to be trained with guns, and saying, hmm I don't like Eric because he is gay, *cocks gun * lets fix that. or any other situation with hate. I mean, also you'll have drugs dealers thanking you also.
ANEURYSM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thats absurd... giving everyone a 9mm would mean everyone dies literally ppl would be killed for the slightest thing it would be a never ending chain of revenge and hate. sure the dude would have been shot after getting one or two others but how many more Virginia techs would there be?... short answer one for every disgruntled teen, one for every down on his luck business man, one for everyone who's had an especially bad day and thats just a small part. police couldn't enforce anything. it would be much more effective just issueing everyone flak jackets. at least you cant kill anyone with a flak jacket.
ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm frankly sick of hearing about it. Yeah it happened. Yeah its awful. But there are hundreds dying per day in far worse events in places like Darfur and Congo and Uganda. But because 33 Americans died the media is shitting itself. We have a pretty poor sense of perspective in this country.
Mirage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some things don't need talking about. not here.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djww19 -""if I do something stupid, I will get fucking shot."" You do realize he shot himself when he was done? As did the kids at columbine. And if people were all armed with 9mms, once one person started shooting, it would be complete chaos and everyone would be blowing each others heads off (which might not be a bad thing).

In my personal opinion, you can blame the news and society as a WHOLE. The news gets off on showing you this crap and making you watch more and more while they are just upping their ratings. Making a profit from tragedy. And in two weeks from now, they won't even mention this, because it will be old news, and they will be looking for something new to get you all riled up about. How many positive things do you hear on the news compared to negative? Twice as many negative. Why? Because our society is bent on looking at the negative of everything.

And blaming music/video games, that just makes me laugh so hard I piss myself. Can they really not come up with a better excuse than that?
GTA doesn't make me want to go kill people. If anything, GTA fulfills my desire to ride on a bike and shoot random thugs/mexicans, then steal a car and pick up a hooker.
And music...haha. If we are going to start blaming music for shootings, start blaming Britney Spears for making pre-developed 12 year old girls dress like hookers.
BusDriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, we should issue every american a 9MM Smile
MooKow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is that he was ruled by a judge to be mentally unstable and that the parents let him live in the dorm, secondly Virginia Law only checks criminal backgrounds, not mental health backgrounds. Video Games nor Music was the culprit here, just poor decisions.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3