Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UBg Dralnu.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Oggrane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: UBg Dralnu. Reply with quote

Was thinking today about how to make Dralnu a bit different... Add some spice if you will. The deck splashes green for Voidslime and Research//Development to act as a tutor vs decks. The deck works very well, I suggest you try it out before you comment negatively on it.

4 Mystical Teachings
4 Think Twice
4 Remand
4 Rune Snag
3 Repeal
3 Rewind
3 Spell Snare
1 Voidslime
1 Sudden Death
1 Commandeer
1 Research//Development
1 Putrefy
1 Extirpate
1 Last Gasp
1 Damnation

2 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 Dralnu, Lich Lord
1 Simic Sky Swallower

4 Watery Grave
4 Underground River
4 Desert
3 Breeding Pool
2 Island
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Dreadship Reef
1 Urza's Factory
1 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Dimir Aqueduct

SB
1 Darkblast
1 Seize the Soul
3 Persecute
1 Imp's Mischeif
1 Repeal
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Dreadship Reef
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 Trickbind
1 Shadow of Doubt

Comments please
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Research//Development to act as a tutor vs decks.

why would the deck needs this bad tutor when it already has a good tutor?
Zsoltsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not its good at all, i think its neat.
If i could suggest anything, just fill your board up with 4 -7 instants or creature cards that absolutely wreak havoc when resolved in any particular matchup. This way teachings for them = gg.
Oggrane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Zsolt Reply with quote

Zsolt, you got a list for me for Sb.. i could really improve it.

Kfc, the 'bad tutor' is used when you are vs a deck such as dragonstorm etc that gets shut down by shadow of doubt and trickbind... it makes it easier to win game 1 against decks if you can sideboard in some cards during the game rather than after.
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Zsolt Reply with quote

Oggrane wrote:
Zsolt, you got a list for me for Sb.. i could really improve it.

Kfc, the 'bad tutor' is used when you are vs a deck such as dragonstorm etc that gets shut down by shadow of doubt and trickbind... it makes it easier to win game 1 against decks if you can sideboard in some cards during the game rather than after.

it takes UG to cast research
then another 3U to search that card out of the deck
and then another 1U for a total of 8 mana
and u have to assemble all that mana and those cards before Dstorm goes off
and u might not even get research before u get teachings so, ull have to teachings for research then research and then flashback teachings or cast another and still have mana to cast ur answer
i dont see that happening
sense u will put up no resistance at all if ur wasting ur mana on research.
and if u want to go ahead and cast research on turn 2, in game 1, on turn 2 u most likey do not know what the opponent is running as they have probly laid: steam vent, shivan and maybe an island or mountain
so if u cast research after seeing these u might just b playin against UR tron or UR vore
or u might not even b payin against Ur, ir might UWR or sum other variant

also keeping in mind that dragonstorm runs giga
i dont see research being too helpful
so i think u can take ur " off of bad tutor
because it is a bad tutor
kcaccidental

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Dude, the comma and full stop keys are the ones roughly above your right 'alt' key. The enter keys are above your right shift key and in the bottom right of your numpad. Don't get them confused.

As for the deck, it's a pretty cool idea, but it kinda seems like you're splashing green just to make the deck different. Dralnu's probably reached it's ultimate (boring) configuration, so while I applaud your efforts and the inventiveness of the toolbox idea, I can't see it as being more competitive than regular Dralnu.
PsyK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious on how much your mana base hurts you?

I can definately see how this could be strong vs decks like dragonstorm because contrary to what someone said, when playing dralnu you have all day to assemble a winning hand because they have to wait a long time before it's safe to go off.
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsyK wrote:
I'm just curious on how much your mana base hurts you?

I can definately see how this could be strong vs decks like dragonstorm because contrary to what someone said, when playing dralnu you have all day to assemble a winning hand because they have to wait a long time before it's safe to go off.

yes of course because all of Dstorm's key cards cost 1 to 3 mana, and yours cost 2-5 i see how they must wait all day.
i know what u mean when you say that but, if your fiddling around with stupid cards like research instead of just holding regular spells it seems like a waste of time. also, i tested this against Dstorm and it didnt do too well. furthermore, in other matchups, like against aggro, i would much rather have any other spell in the deck than a research, its an immediate -1 that can turn into versatility. And i dont see how this deck is any better than the current streamline Dralnu builds.
st4x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does making ur deck slower make it a better deck when its worst matchups are the fast decks in the format
Oggrane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

I'm not making it slower, i am just adding a card to the main deck that allow me to access my sideboard incase of emergency.

It runs like basic dralnu, it just has a way to access answers if needed.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take out 1 last gasp for 1 Dimir House Guard. It has lots of good symmetry in this deck. You can tutor for your 1 Damnation, doubling your chance of getting it, and you can tutor for Mystical Teachings. Also, with Teferi out, you can do it as an instant (I think). I cannot see a situation where you would search for a last gasp unless you already have control or have already played Sudden Death.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1