Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Decade for Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic

Best Decade For Music?
Pre 1950's
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
1950's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1960's
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
1970's
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
1980's
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
1990's
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 30

theTJtrooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The new GNR sucks bigtime. No Slash, wtf?!

I hope this wasn't 13 or so years down the drain for them....if so GG Sad
Taoofss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pink floyd, the who, led zepplain, the beatles. These are the four arguably best rock bands EVER. i dont think you can put ANY four bands from the 80s and match their musical prowless.

Rolling Stone's top 500 albums of all time.

Number of albums from each decade

* 1950s or before - 29 albums (5.8%)
* 1960s - 126 (25.2%)
* 1970s - 183 (36.6%)
* 1980s - 88 (17.6%)
* 1990s - 61 (12.2%)
* 2000s - 13 (2.6%)
Taoofss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1965-1975
theTJtrooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
* 2000s - 13 (2.6%)

Most recent music is pretty bad. I feel cheated by the music industry lol Sad Then again I'm probably not in the target audience.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, don't get me started on today's music. Short of Linkin Park there really hasn't been any music that hasn't been a straight rip-off of Run DMC (all the rap), Michael Jackson (all the pop) and multiple 80s bands (all the emo/punk crap). And Linkin Park just beat the "let's synthesize everything together" thing to death.

Obviously I'm generalizing, but there hasn't been a decade that you could cleanly put into categories like this since the 1800s where it was "the waltz."

For best decade ever, I guess the 70s is the most accurate, though late 60's and early 80's had some very good music too.
Taoofss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen to the shins, pedro the lion, and the postal service.
TheDarkMan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy a lot of modern rock and alternative music, like Taproot, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Seether, Autopilot Off, I could go on. I didn't really like most of the 90's music, 80's is okay but not something I'd put on my mp3 player. Before that (with the exception of classical music), everything is too tacky for my tastes. So I think the current decade is doing the best (except that the popular music of the day happens to be rap/hip-hop Razz).
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Stone sucks.

This topic is full of ignorant statements. There is a TON of good music for this decade. Everything on the radio sucks, but what else is new?

The problem is that the Beatles (Stones, Zep) have been around from the 60's through the 80's so you just say "this band formed in year X that means thats the best decade" when in reality you'd have to divide a band by what decade their best stuff came out in. The 70's are still probably the best but don't rip on this decade because A) we are still in it and B) there is tons of good music, just not the "popular" stuff.
gnr61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BattleofWits wrote:
Rolling Stone sucks.

This topic is full of ignorant statements. There is a TON of good music for this decade. Everything on the radio sucks, but what else is new?

The problem is that the Beatles (Stones, Zep) have been around from the 60's through the 80's so you just say "this band formed in year X that means thats the best decade" when in reality you'd have to divide a band by what decade their best stuff came out in. The 70's are still probably the best but don't rip on this decade because A) we are still in it and B) there is tons of good music, just not the "popular" stuff.

Well put. It's true: there is alot of good in the 90s and today in the music world. people are judging todays music on nu-metal and commercial rap. Listen to some prog rock, or something innovative, it doesnt have to be old. Bands like Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, and King Crimson could be construed as the original prog bands and they are some of my favorite artists. however I hold them in the same regard as I hold artists from this decade that were influenced by them -- Tool, Dream Theater, etc.

As a side note, I would like to declare that I don't think the Beatles are anything better than second-rate, poorly constructed and written pop music that, while arguably innovatibe at the time, has no real musical or artistic value IMO. feel free to disagree.
DRINKALCOHOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone who said the 80s was the best decade for music is a retard
theTJtrooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rolling Stone sucks.

This topic is full of ignorant statements.

You made a claim, and it applies to yourself...lol

Quote:
everyone who said the 80s was the best decade for music is a retard

nice opinion...what was the point in sharing it Confused
Thorns

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taoofss wrote:
i dont think you can put ANY four bands from the 80s and match their musical prowless.

I'll have to disagree, Dire Straits was by far the best band of the 80's and definately matches Floyd and Zep, which are by the way, my two favorite bands. I am aware that Straits started in very late 70's, but the biggest part of their career was in the 80's.
MTV killed music.
gnr61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTV didn't kill music. Idiots that enjoyed MTV and used it as an influence in creating music killed it.
gnr61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTV didn't kill music. MTV is harmless by itself. Idiots that enjoyed MTV and used it as an influence in creating music killed it.
Thorns

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnr61 wrote:
MTV didn't kill music. MTV is harmless by itself. Idiots that enjoyed MTV and used it as an influence in creating music killed it.

So who is responsible for making bands create bad music? MTV, therefore it killed music Razz
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3