Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Decade for Music

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic

Best Decade For Music?
Pre 1950's
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
1950's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1960's
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
1970's
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
1980's
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
1990's
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 30

Bushviper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Best Decade for Music Reply with quote

My friends and I were arguing about what is the best decade for music. Personaly I think the 80's were the best.

What do you all think?
smallface99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bushviper,
You do realize that they average kid on this site is like 14 right? Probably not the best forum to ask this question in Smile
Jon
tomf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80's was the worst decade for music EVER!! Best decade for music was def between 65-75
Magx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomf wrote:
The 80's was the worst decade for music EVER!! Best decade for music was def between 65-75

Why then this decade was the one where most music albums were sold as most shows, more songs produced, etc... plus it invented the most versatile instrument ever, the synthesizer ?
Craze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallface99 wrote:
Hey Bushviper,
You do realize that they average kid on this site is like 14 right? Probably not the best forum to ask this question in Smile
Jon

thats actually very wrong. The average is 18-21
Bushviper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, im 18 but I listen to 80's music, you didn't have to live those years to appreciate the music.
Taoofss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magx wrote:
tomf wrote:

Why then this decade was the one where most music albums were sold as most shows, more songs produced, etc... plus it invented the most versatile instrument ever, the synthesizer ?

because music became mass produced for the masses in the 80s. Something called the casset player was invented and before that, the beta-max player. the synthesizer was refined in the 80s, not invented. and the 80s also had more population than war torn 60s-70s. music from the 60s-70s said something.

If you dissect 80s hair band ballads lyrics, they sound alot like modern day emo.

"Walk away if you want to.
It's OK, if you need to.
Well, you can run, but you can never hide
from the shadow that's creepin' up beside you."

"I wait around for the still small center
From saint to sinner
Well which one is it?
Just who do you think you are?"

One is emo, one is not.
Taoofss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying the 80s didnt contain alot of good music, but it had ALOT more crap the quality music.
gnr61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magx wrote:
tomf wrote:

Because the 80s was a massive decade for pop music. There were shitty dance songs and shitty arena rock bands that were stupidly popular despite crushing simplicity and unoriginallity as well as simply retarded lyrics. Don't get me wrong, some good came out of the 80s, including a huge boost in exposure for hardcore punk bands like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Husker Du, and Bad Brains and even some good pop bands that rose up from the underground (Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, Japan, XTC, Siouxxi, Depeche Mode).

All in all I would have to agree that the "best" point in music has to be mid-60s to late-70s in which the major musical influences of some of my favorite artists came out of.
theTJtrooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 170-180 songs on my Ipod, and about 95% of them are from the 80's. A few are from the early 90's. I haven't heard any great music produced recently, I wonder what it is like to look forward to an album. I guess GnR soon but who knows Confused

Btw I'm 18 if anyone cares.
nasa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more doesnt mean better, esp in music.
gnr61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasa wrote:

Exactly.
Magx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the poll should be refined.. because "best for music" means exactly what ? best for BETTER music or for popular music

By the way, if I m not mistaken, the casset player was actually invented in really late 70"s (like 78-79 but 70's nonetheless), the beta max player is for videos,so that's another story... and Taofss you are right, the synthesizer were refined not invented in the 80's.

and for the emo thing.. just look at The Cure, The Cult, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears (ence, just the name is emo... lol) they are all emo band and they didn't knew it (Boy George and Culture Club-> that's more than emo) and I could continue on and on and on...

and obv, it contained more crap music since music was produced more quickly that a rabbit can produce babies ( and that,s freaking fast)

and yeah, 80'"s had shitty dance songs and shitty rock groups for us ... but not at that time.. it was good at that time and that is what matters...
Thorns

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theTJtrooper wrote:
I guess GnR soon but who knows Confused

Btw I'm 18 if anyone cares.

The new GNR sucks bigtime. No Slash, wtf?!

nasa wrote:

You are a God.

I personally feel the real music was in the 70's. There was a lot of carry-over in the 80's and most of the music lost its original feel. But the 80's brought different things to different genres, noticeably metal was popularized and punk was made less punk, go figure. The 70's just seems like a time where music mattered, before MTV, which, if you ask me, killed the rock spirit.
Age has nothing to do with musical taste. I am 16 and hate practically everything from the 90's and 2000's, except Nirvana, Bad Religion and Dragonforce among others. There just isn't a feel for music anymore, it's just commercial. My favorite bands are all from the 70's. This is my point of view and everyone has different opinions and musical taste, so there is no "right" answer.
Magx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnr61 wrote:
nasa wrote:

Exactly.

you have to remind that it was more than TWENTY YEARS ago... like I said, it was good AT THAT TIME... obviously, it'S not as good as some music today (still some songs are still pretty good)... tastes changes with years (or evolve if you want to)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3