Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for taking the judge test

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
niknight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Advice for taking the judge test Reply with quote

Well, the first 50 or so judge tests have been graded and we have only had 2 (NOT with a B) pass it. We can break down the failures into 3 general categories:

1 - Simply not knowing the rules/being unprepared. You may think that you know what you are talking about, but you may wish to study before taking it. This test has a relatively high degree of difficulty, so it may be worth taking a few hours reading the magic comprehensive rules (the only document you need to study).

2 - Answers without explainations. ANY question that does not have adequate explaination will be marked wrong! If an answer is yes, tell us why. This also goes for questions with numerical answers... you may know that the answer is 0, but you have to tell us why. You have to show us how much you know, not how lucky you are at flipping a coin.

3 - Not reading the entire question. There are a good portion of questions that have multiple parts, you need to answer them all correctly to get credit. Most people only read and answer the first part of the question, leaving the rest of it blank.

Good luck to everyone who wishes to take it.

Edit: Also, you are not allowed to use ANY outside resource on the test. This includes rulebooks, question databases, or "phone a friend" options. If you are caught, you will be banned!
Gerrardfo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should also be noted that the average score on all relevant tests up until now is a between 4 and 5 (in that range).
Kaesh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly are you going to catch someone using a rulebook? Confused
Spooge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if niknight's mom is over while ur doing a test that could be one way of getting cought no?
Haro
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaesh wrote:
How exactly are you going to catch someone using a rulebook? Confused

Training and hazing.

Do I have to remind people about the person that didn't know that cranial extraction was named upon resolution?
WiCkEdWiZaRd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it sober aswell
Laplie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to add: if you have extra time, reread your answers before submitting.

Also, the current test is quite a bit harder than the previous one. So if the last test was hard, don't expect to breeze through this one.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ayame-Chan included in any of the questions? I usually start to bate to pron at that point and forget about the test.
WiCkEdWiZaRd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SerialX wrote:
Is Ayame-Chan included in any of the questions? I usually start to bate to pron at that point and forget about the test.

Yeah she is i only just finished because if that.
Arathomir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the major reason why so many people have failed (and my biggest gripe) is that the time given to take the test is too short. The questions are much more complex than on earlier tests, so that some questions may get 5 minutes spent on writing an answer, whereas some questions end up getting about 30 seconds left to put an answer. Trust me, I was down to under a minute left to write an answer for a question. Upping the time limit to 40 minutes would prevent this from happening and allow for answers to get checked afterwards. This would also allow for people to look through the questions beforehand before deciding to answer them. Another league's judges test is 20 questions long but allows for 80 minutes to be completed.

Another thing is that several of the questions have had rules changes occur in the last year, meaning that unless you read the Comprehensive rules every time they come out, you are going to be blind to rules changes (I'd mention which, but it would probably lead to some form of suspension). Also, one of the questions needs to rewritten so that the original printed text of the card (including rules text) is in the question to be clearer.

Considering that I've passed the test before and barely failed any of the others, this last test proves that things need to change.
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the time, my last test I did not have enough time to finish so I had to half ass some of the later ones just so I could get them all done in time (which I did not)
xDaN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree sooooo much.. if u made the questions harder there has to be more time...
Spyx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was running out of time after about 8 questions before you made the test harder so I imagine it's lots harder now Shocked
Apocalypser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A correct explanation with a wrong answer counts as wrong or right ?
Teknolink
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. An answer is wrong, when you make a clerical error. This isn't high school where you get points for the way. Here you get points for the way AND for the right answer. If either of these is missing, you're wrong.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2