Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTG Metalheads

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Kikin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: MTG Metalheads Reply with quote

North American Metal or European Metal bands
ColdBeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dude I only listen to American Idol winners and Celine Dion.
Daveslusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolcockslol
Y2Jonline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there really no other metal fans on here? How depressing...well, I guess I should go ahead and make the first serious post on here.

I've been listening to a lot of different stuff lately. Just picked up Sonata Arctica's live album "For The Sake Of Revenge", and while it's more melodic than most of what I listen to, it's still pretty damn good.

Other than that, I've been listening to a lot of older stuff. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, pretty much anything that isn't Metallica. I'm more of a classic/power metal fan, but I listen to a little death metal, too. Just got introduced to a REALLY good death/progressive metal group out of Canada called Unexpect that I highly recommend.
Apocalypser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

European Metal for me.
I don't know that album, but if you liked sonata arctica you should listen to ecliptica.
I listen to power/doom/goth metal and whatever more pleases me.
Y2Jonline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot to mention Dragonforce! Those guys are pretty much every power-metal fan's wet dream...
Apocalypser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ? I find them ultra bad but that's just me. I feel they're like the most over-hyped power metal band ever. And their music is SO based on all the power metal cliches, double bass, fast riff, and then comes the worst part which is the singer. Man, he sucks. They cant innovate at all.
A GREAT power metal band is Rhapsody, now named Rhapsody of Fire. Gamma Ray are nice too, sonata arctica, freedom call, avantasia, etc etc etc...
Vodka_drink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all about

lamb of god,tool,and opeth
thinktank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

European metal FTW, I mean when you have bands like maiden, blind guardian, pain of salvation, arch enemy, you cant compete , lol not to mention all the viking metal like winter sun and epic and blackmetal from northern europe, like thats sheer awesomeness! But im not a fan of dragonforce..something about not liking formulaic repetition....lol im sry, i dont usualyl rag on bands but dragonforce sounds all to familiar for my taste, but European metal wins hands down..
Bushviper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What genre of metal?

Are we talking:

Iron Maiden
Scorpions
Mottely Crue
Etc.

Or:
Pantera
Testament
Anthrax
Megadeath
Rammstein
Etc.

Or:
Canabal Corpse
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Dying Fetus
Slayer
Etc.

Eh, whats it matter they are all great!
Kaesh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm European, but in general I like American metal bands much more.
kendiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushviper wrote:
What genre of metal?
Or:
Pantera
Testament
Anthrax
Megadeath
Rammstein
Etc.

Or:
Canabal Corpse
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Dying Fetus
Slayer
Etc.

Eh, whats it matter they are all great!

Please don't insult Pantera by incorrectly categorizing it with Rammstein. Rammstein is crap. They have maybe two okay songs that I can think of and neither of them are Du Hast. Rammstein is for little kiddies that know nothing of real rock & roll. They are the Britney Spears of Germany.

Cannibal Corpse is from my hometown!

I'm more of an industrial/goth rock fan myself. KMFDM is one of my favorite bands. If not my favorite. Their best album is WWIII live 2003 imo. Can't get enough of it. I'm also a big fan of Skinny Puppy, White Zombie (not solo Rob Zombie,) old Marilyn Manson and Ministry. I'm a huge 80's fan, too. Pink Floyd, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode, David Bowie, The Cure and U2. Then we move to the 90's where I can't think of a band besides bush and No Doubt that I don't like. Huge grunge/post grunge fan.
Kikin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for your opinions,but,I think European bands are the better.
Just to name a few

- Pain of Salvation (Sweden) Progressive Metal
- Adagio (France) Progressive Metal
- Blind Guardian (Germany) Power Metal
- Hammerfall (Sweden) Power Metal
- Norther (Finland) Melodic Death/Black Metal (Depends on what you follow the most)
- Nightwish (Finland) Symphonic Metal
- Darkseed (Germany) Symphonic Metal
- Evergrey (Sweden) Progressive Metal
- Dreamscape (Germany) Progressive Metal
- Secret Sphere (Italy) Progressive Metal
- Stratovarius (Finland) Progressive/Power Metal
- Bal-Sagoth (UK) Epic Metal
- Catamenia (Finland) Melodic Black Metal (VERY GOOD BAND,RECOMENDED!)
- Antestor (Sweden) Black Metal
- Pagan's Mind (Norway) Progressive/Power Metal
- Extol (Norway) Black Metal (Good Band!)
- Dark Tranquillity (Sweden) Gutenburg Metal
- Wintersun (Finland) Melodic Death Metal (Very good and fast!)
- Emperor (Norway) Black Metal
- Rotting Christ (Greece) Black Metal
- Immortal (Norway) Black Metal
- Opeth (Sweden) Progressive Metal (Of course you heard of them)
- Dragonforce (UK) Speed Metal (Real good band)
- Rhapsody of Fire (Italy) Power/Symphonic Metal

Many more....
Y2Jonline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I'm gonna have to defend my love of Dragonforce, huh?

For starters, I have no problem at all with the lead singer. I actually think Z.P. Theart has a great set of pipes. The man has an incredible range, and I personally happen to like the extremely high, soaring vocals.

Now, I admit that the group's biggest problem is repitition. They have made it known that they follow a songwriting formula (fast guitar intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, dueling guitar solos, chorus, fast guitar outro), and that is one of the things that I hope they expand upon with future albums.

That being said, I'm a fan because of the guitar and keyboard work. I think everybody knows by now that these guys are some of the fastest guitar players in existence, and I'm still blown away every time I hear the dueling guitar solos on "Through the Fire and Flames". And their keyboardist/keytarist has shown that he's no slouch, either. Anyone who's seen the extended solo that he does during live shows can attest to that.

So I can understand where you guys are coming from. Feel free to flame away, but I'm a huge Dragonforce fan regardless.

And there's no doubt that European metal blows American metal away right now. Back in the mid-80s to early-90s, North America (particularly the US) had a much better metal scene thanks largely to the fact that it was the birthplace of death-metal (created in Tampa, my hometown!!! \m/). But when grunge and punk (which really isn't punk anymore, but that's a whole 'nother rant) rose to prominence, the American metal scene basically turned to crap. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think American metal is in the middle of a resurgence, but it still has nothing on the stuff that's been coming out of Europe lately.

Last edited by Y2Jonline on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Y2Jonline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in my opinion, hardcore and metal are 2 completely different things. Hardcore is heavily influenced by metal, no doubt, but it's split off from it to become something completely different.

So yes, you're right, the American HARDCORE scene is doing quite well. But the American METAL scene still has some work to do.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3