Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happens when hippies breed...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic

Do you belive in some kind of a god?
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 16 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
I dunno
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 34

Colossus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaesh wrote:
Of course you're right in your first two sentences, but I'd still rather leave my afterlife to professionals. Cool

lol.

This thread needs to be locked now, because as pyro said... not all of them can be right

but to that I say they could all be wrong.

This thread is going nowhere, and it will continue to go nowhere as long as religion and politics, and people, exist.
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a logical person, I question things, this in mere fact makes me human. Because thats what humans naturally do, questions things around us. There is no proof in god. But that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. In my sole opinion god is not a person watching down on you or even a force that judges you, but instead god is the basis of all energy, not alive just there. And as energy we follow its path. When we die, we leave these mortal coils and are reformed into another physical shell all because thats the cycle of nature and laws of energy.

Somthing had to happen to create things natural to us, the laws of physics tell us how things work but not how they began.
So natually humans question this, and back when this question was asked far more, people came up with the concept of god or gods. But all the bible is, is what pyro seems to think religion is good for: setting morals and beliefs. Whether you are religious or not you get your morals and standards of living from a central belief of being watched and judged. Even atheiests who don't belief in anything do. Why? Because you were raised that way. Someone along your line was religious and thus raised their children that way and so forth.

I think the problem with teenagers is conformity. Scientists questioned god, and their parents looked down on it, so through the ages it became the "rebel" thing to do. Turn against faith. But if you asked the average teenage atheiest odds are he/she doesn't have much of a factual opinion outside of that their is no god (and thats not entirely factual).

That site bugged me because its baised off such a trend. I guess next time, I should include a little to more as to the point of this thread.

As for all of you flaming me, you can stfu. Because the point was that their was none. I just wanted to see the branch of topics that would flow off this.

Next time before flaming me ask yourselfs: Am I any better by wasting my time critizing others?? The answer of course is No.
snoopster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lololol

craze is an ignorant moron
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was a lot to read. I don't know where to start or anything so i'll just go with the thing that is still ringing in my ears.

To say one must have religion to have morals is quite absurd. I forget who mentioned it but he who mentioned the golden rule said it best. I am not religous and I do not believe in God, yet people who know me always tell me I am one of the nicest, and most thoughtful people they know....and almost all of them are Christian.

Why is this, you may ask? Because, all you have to do is put yourself in the other person's shoes. I don't randomly walk up to some little kid and steal their money just because I can. I know that's wrong. I don't molest any female who I'm attracted to because that is wrong. To differentiate right from wrong is easy and simple. Do not do something that will harm someone else, for whatever reason, your benefit or another person's benefit.

The rule seems easy to follow for me, because I have a definition of "harm" that I know for myself. So is it wrong that I try and beat someone in a game of Magic or Basketball or whatever else that I do competitively? No. I have had this argued against me before. Why? Because they asked, either with words or actions to compete. You did what was asked, and they lost.

The problem with most people is, they are to selfish to care what other people think, and too shortsighted to see that helping others benefits you in the long run anyways. Those people need to be scared into having morals set forth by religion.

In closing, I just find it offensive that people continually portray non-religous people as people that are entirely void of being moral. In fact, I find that these non-religous people have the potential to be more moral than the so-called highest of the high. You can try and bend "my rule" to sillier and sillier corners, but it is one of the easiest rules to follow. "Just Keep It Simple, Stupid."
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
I mean, there must have been someone that has lighted the fuse of the big bang.

Not to get too crazy or anything, but there was a published theory that, while I am very hazy on the details right now, went something like there are believed to be quarks that exist/existed that when this specific quark came into another of the same quark, it would create lots of energy that would create more, and different kinds of quarks. The theory states that these quarks were used up to make what we have now in the universe, and that the rest were gobbled up in the "matter v anti-matter" war that occured shortly after the big bang.

Of course, this all sounds ridiculous, but so does a lady, a garden, an apple, and a snake.
Craze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopster wrote:
lololol

love how you called me ignorant in THAT comment.
Pyrofire14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicqaz wrote:
I am not religous and I do not believe in God, yet people who know me always tell me I am one of the nicest, and most thoughtful people they know....and almost all of them are Christian.

There really was a lot, so I'll just respond to one thing...

First of all, I'll repeat myself in maintaining that you do not have to be religious to be moral, you just have to use the moral guidelines of religion to know right from wrong, because morality is derived from the concept of God and religion.

Now, the problem I see with your statement is that you don't count the ability of man to mold and shape reality in his head. How many robbin hoods have there been throughout history? You do realize that such men do immoral things, but they justify them within their heads. So without a clear guideline that you can look at time and again, how do you know if what you're doing is really right or wrong? You're using your judgment to separate the two, and you could easily be wrong. You could easily commit an immoral, and justify it to yourself. Some cultures think that it's fine to eat cats and dogs. Others don't. But if you're a member of the culture that thinks it's OK, how can you find out whether or not the act is moral? Following your philosophy, you only use your judgment, which I should mention changes in time. What I thought was righteous years ago I now consider immoral. Even if you are not religious, you need some sort of physical guideline of morality to compare your actions to, which is why I myself am jealous of decent, logical Christians. They have the Bible as a referrence to what is right and wrong, and the cross (or crucifix) around their necks to remind them to do good. I myself am not Christian, nor truly religious, but I envy those who are, and may one day join them, because I see perfect logic in it.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this great and confusing universe, the human mind needs to be able to grasp what is around us. How this all came into being, what everything is, and most importantly why we are here. In this search for answers many have been found, and they are often conflicting. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer, everyone's beliefs are their own. I find the idea that a woman was made of a man's rib rediculous, the concept of this great, omnipitent being rather silly. Others do not, and who am I to say they are wrong, or them to say they are right? Truth shall always be in the eye of the beholder, and bickering over who is "right" is rediculous. Nothing short of divine intervention could change my beliefs, and I am sure the same is true for most. In the end I don't think it matters which shrine you kneel before; if you are kind to your fellow man and live your life in a way that doesn't hurt others, what fate has in store for you is irrelevant. You made the world a better place, if that is not enough than this "god" is no god at all.
Domine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't mean this as an insult, but I'm curious, Metallica, what does "being religious" entail to you? Is it just going to church? Is it following all of the moral rules set by one's religion? Is it striving to be a better person? Sincerely asking forgiveness for your wrongs and not repeating them? I'm just wondering what "being religious" means to others, because I know plenty of people who consider themselves religious just because their parents put them into the habit of going to church every Sunday morning.

i follow the catholic church rules, go to church every sunday (Xmas, eastern etc,) i firmly bealive in God and i've studied catholic church history (yes, it has made a lot of mistakes). I however don't judge people for being religious or not, and if any Catholic says that you're doomed for not being catholic they know nothing about catholisism. The chruch teach us to respect every single person regardless of religion. So no you're not doomed for not being Catholic. that's a lie.
Custode

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also be guided by morality etc. if you don't believe in God. And you can do bad things in the name of God.
However, the bible wouldn't be too bad a guideline for a
good living-together of mankind if they wouldn't abuse it.

And I don't want to be forgiven or saved; I strongly hope after life everything's over, like you sleep without any dreams.
snoopster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:
snoopster wrote:
lololol

love how you called me ignorant in THAT comment.

why cant i call u ignorant in this comment? are you a moron?
Colossus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custode wrote:
And I don't want to be forgiven or saved; I strongly hope after life everything's over, like you sleep without any dreams.

I couldn't have said it better. I rejoice at the fact that someone has similar views as myself.
Rawrer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicqaz wrote:
Wow, that was a lot to read. I don't know where to start or anything so i'll just go with the thing that is still ringing in my ears.

To say one must have religion to have morals is quite absurd. I forget who mentioned it but he who mentioned the golden rule said it best. I am not religous and I do not believe in God, yet people who know me always tell me I am one of the nicest, and most thoughtful people they know....and almost all of them are Christian.

Why is this, you may ask? Because, all you have to do is put yourself in the other person's shoes. I don't randomly walk up to some little kid and steal their money just because I can. I know that's wrong. I don't molest any female who I'm attracted to because that is wrong. To differentiate right from wrong is easy and simple. Do not do something that will harm someone else, for whatever reason, your benefit or another person's benefit.

The rule seems easy to follow for me, because I have a definition of "harm" that I know for myself. So is it wrong that I try and beat someone in a game of Magic or Basketball or whatever else that I do competitively? No. I have had this argued against me before. Why? Because they asked, either with words or actions to compete. You did what was asked, and they lost.

The problem with most people is, they are to selfish to care what other people think, and too shortsighted to see that helping others benefits you in the long run anyways. Those people need to be scared into having morals set forth by religion.

In closing, I just find it offensive that people continually portray non-religous people as people that are entirely void of being moral. In fact, I find that these non-religous people have the potential to be more moral than the so-called highest of the high. You can try and bend "my rule" to sillier and sillier corners, but it is one of the easiest rules to follow. "Just Keep It Simple, Stupid."

Agreed. Actually I think christians over the whole are the most void of beeing moral, considering all their 'sins' will be forgiven anyway. It won't matter for them if they do a few 'evil' things along the way to heaven.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5