Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U/W Control - Court Hussar main deck?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aldaryn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: U/W Control - Court Hussar main deck? Reply with quote

I haven't seen anything on U/W control for a while. I've been working on mine for a good amount of time and I'm not really sure about the numbers, and there are so many cards I'd like to include but 60 cards just ain't enough to get it all in. Here is my decklist below and the cards with a * are new cards I've decided to add that I'm open to discussing... in particular I was wondering if Court Hussar is worth it maindecking. He seems to really hurt aggro but seems a bit wasted against mid-range decks like Firemane and Beach House and other control decks. He does at least replace himself though and offer quite a good card dig.

4 Court Hussar
2 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir*

2 Sacred Mesa
2 Teferi's Moat*

4 Remand
4 Rune Snag*
4 Cancel

4 Think Twice

4 Wrath of God
4 Faith's Fetters
2 Condemn

1 Prahv, Spires of Order*
2 Urza's Factory
2 Calciform Pools*
2 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Adarkar Wastes
3 Azorius Chancery
2 Plains
5 Island

Sideboard (completely up for retooling)
4 Spell Snare
4 Rewind
2 Azorius Guildmage
2 Condemn
2 Disenchant
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

I chose Rune Snag over Mana Leak because it actually helps late game and this deck has a lot of late games....definitely a better choice imo.

I like Teferi over Windreaver or Akroma as the creature finisher, because of his effect on the gameplay, the ability to flash him in eot... he is cheaper than Akroma and cheaper and fatter (without pump) than Windreaver and since he's not my only win condition, Windreaver's evasion is not as important.

4 Faith's Fetters sounds like a lot but it is always useful (deals with opposing lands too) and gives you key lifegain against aggro before you get burned out post-WoG.

I really like the addition of Prahv to force bigger WoG's, but I have some questions about it.
1) I was told you target the source not the damage, so you can prevent damage from Giant Solifuge. Is this true?
2) Does the source have to be a permanent, or can I prevent burn?

Calciform pools seems a little random, but building it up can give you the edge when the Teferi counter-war explodes in the mirror, or let you have mana for countering when you finally drop your win condition.

Teferi's Moat IMO can really wreck aggro, especially Gruul since no flyers, but even Boros and Zoo have trouble with it, and they aren't likely to have a main-deck answer for it.

About the sideboard, Azorius Guildmage is in there to deal with Martytron, because I couldn't think of anything else, but it seems really good, since it counters the abilities of just about every card in the deck (Martyr, Millstone, Children, Proclamation). I wanted to fit in 4 but couldn't.

It seems ridiculous that I have 8 counters in the sb. I wanted to work 2 of each into md but that seems like a lot of md counters anyway, but the Spell Snares great as counters against Remand, Rune Snag / Mana Leak in the mirror, and against burn and 2-drops against aggro (not that great against mid-range or U/G though).
Rewind is only in there to deal with Dragonstorm (Gigadrowse), and it's at least mildly useful against other decks unlike Trickbind.

Disenchant, Teferi, Condemn pretty obvious I think...

but there is a lot I wish I could include - Repeal, more Disenchants, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV sure looks good on paper, Tidings, etc...

What do you guys think?

aldaryn
Colossus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prav targets damage. You can use it to prevent solifuge damage in the same way that COP: Red prevents damage. The same applies to burn such as Demonfire...unless it's hellbent.

Court Hussar is good. I would serioulsy consider keeping him around. I would also, defnintly side Teferi's Moat, and get two more counters. Or removal. Or both. 2 spell snare, 2 condemn, or 1 and 1.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No signets?
h0m3r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with regards to COP: Red and Prahv, the reason they can stop 'can't be the target' creatures etc. is because they don't actually target.

if the card doesn't use the word target it doesn't target.

i also believe moat should be sideboarded, probably you could add 1 condemn and 1 sacred mesa or something.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are probably right about the Moat. I will put some combination of Condemn/Rewind/Spell Snare there.

I thought about Signets, but obviously I already couldn't fit everything in...

What do you think of replacing Disenchant sb with Repeal? More versatile, gets rid of the problem long enough to counter it, and deals with aggro too.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting a land sure would be nice, but I'm not really sure I can. I'm going to play around and see how bad or good the pre-sb matches against aggro are without Moat, and if they're good enough I may take it out of sb/deck altogether.. I'm not sure. But the -2 Moat main deck will probably be 1 Condemn, 1 Rewind.
Vodka_7up

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you're to geared to beat aggro, or at least to focused on it, you should be focusing on the combo and control decks, more like the control decks.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1