Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you like watching competitive magic videos?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues

Do you like to watch competitive magic videos?
yes
73%
 73%  [ 17 ]
no
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 23

nasa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoy watching old games bc it reminds you of good plays you made with the same cards when they were playable. also just watchin pros play i think makes you a better players, just their complete confidence and stone faces really apply to every format/player.
Apocalypser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that to be stupid of its opponent, not an awesome play of his.
I don't mind watching those videos, i just find it a waste of time, so i don't do it.
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long rules and that play was the birth of the Jedi Mind trick in Magic. It wasn't just his opponent being dumb, Long had the balls to ask for a win and got it.

In regards to the real question I don't like watching videos that much, but it is better than reading an entire tournament write-up.
Thorns

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather watch the vidoes than read a tourny review.
I don't remember that particular Long incident Confused
Colossus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitly think that a match between two good players is far more entertaining than any other sports event.

I was watching...rewatching...the Finkel vs. Maher 2000 match and it was still...simply captivating.

When the 2005 worlds was live online I was glued to my monitor, even though the team draft was over before it even started...
DRINKALCOHOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colossus wrote:
I definitly think that a match between two good players is far more entertaining than any other sports event.

thats not healthy
Pete278
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorns wrote:

See, this is the problem with what WotC has done to Long. They emphasize all the bad things he did, and say nothing of the awesome things he did.
Colossus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete278 wrote:
Thorns wrote:

See, this is the problem with what WotC has done to Long. They emphasize all the bad things he did, and say nothing of the awesome things he did.

He was never actually convicted of cheating. I'd say that's pretty good at not emphasazing the bad things he did.

Being considered the core innovator of the modern combo archtype is also pretty good at saying some of the awesome things he did.

:/
fugii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

in wich duel does he convince justice to concied?
Pyrofire14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

fugii wrote:
in wich duel does he convince justice to concied?

Yes, can someone please elaborate and describe the situation for us noobs?
kfcman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 97 Pro-Tour finals with Mike Long vs. Mark Justice I thought was really good too(sorry, I like Mike Long. Comm'on getting your opponent to concede after you discard your ONLY win condition in the deck and have no chance to winning is pretty awesome @ a final match of a Pro-tour).

reading the original post is tech
and possibly clickin the link wud help too!
Iksargo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justice conceded to Long in the finals of PT Paris in 1997. Not sure on the exact game. It's a terrible mistake by Justice though, because the Finals are untimed matches so there's no reason to concede to save time. Confused
Kev
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long was playing a Combo deck based around Prosperity and Cadaverous Bloom. This way every card drawn would net BB or GG so he could cast an even bigger Prosperity. Squandered Resources provided blue mana. Long removed his lone Drain Life to Bloom because that was the only way he could play Infernal Contract (which was needed to cast a Prosperity big enough). Justice knew the way the deck combo'ed and prolly didnt care to check whether Mike actually had a win conditon left. Mike was probably the only person in the tournament with only 1 Drain Life. Most ProsBloom players had 3 or 4 Drain Life. Justive just didnt like his opponent goldfishing on him I guess....
fugii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kfcman wrote:
Quote:
The 97 Pro-Tour finals with Mike Long vs. Mark Justice I thought was really good too(sorry, I like Mike Long. Comm'on getting your opponent to concede after you discard your ONLY win condition in the deck and have no chance to winning is pretty awesome @ a final match of a Pro-tour).

reading the original post is tech
and possibly clickin the link wud help too!

hmmm, and with that u want to say?

i know WHY he conceded, but i dont wanna check the whole match, so it would be nice if someone could tell me in wich duel it was.
ejv

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm.. I actually watched the match and can't seem to find this concession by justice, or at least in the only game where justice concedes (game2) it doesn't seem like long had discarded the drain life... also long wins a game while being at 0 life, how is that?? could some 1 explain? am I retarded or is it that rules sort of changed?? I started playing in 1999... later
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2