Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RGU Stall

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: RGU Stall Reply with quote

Here's a toolbox-control deck I've been playing around with on mwsplay. Obviously mwsplay is not the best testing environment, but it is a fairly good way to get an initial glimpse of how a deck works. I originally was trying to make an Exhaustion lockdown deck, but realized that Exhaustion over and over again without a win condition doesn't actually do anything. Basically, this deck uses control staples either in 4 ofs (Voidslime, Remand, Repeal, Compulsive Research) or one ofs that can be searched out with Drift of Phantasms (Stormbind, Stone Rain, Cryoclasm, Exhaustion, Electrolyze, Reiterate). Whatever spell works best against your opponent, you proceed to play up to 9 times via the 4x Recollect and 4x Izzet Chronarch. Usually this is either done with Cryoclasm for a bunch of land destruction and damage against control or with Exhaustion to keep theim tapped out for several turns while you set up Simic Sky Swallower. Against discard, Compulsive Reasearch over and over works very well.

Here's the decklist:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [MI] Forest (1)
2 [US] Mountain (2)
3 [7E] Island (4)
1 [TSP] Gemstone Caverns
4 [DIS] Breeding Pool
4 [GP] Stomping Ground
4 [GP] Steam Vents
2 [TSB] Desert

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Drift of Phantasms
4 [GP] Izzet Chronarch
3 [DIS] Simic Sky Swallower

// Spells
4 [GP] Repeal
1 [GP] Electrolyze
1 [CS] Cryoclasm
4 [RAV] Compulsive Research
4 [DIS] Voidslime
1 [9E] Stone Rain
4 [RAV] Recollect
4 [RAV] Remand
1 [9E] Exhaustion
1 [TSB] Stormbind
1 [TSP] Reiterate

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [TSP] Trickbind
SB: 4 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 [9E] Defense Grid
SB: 3 [GP] Savage Twister

The Stormbind + Repeated Cryoclasm is how I beat the one competitive deck I played on MWSPlay (W/U control). Against a random discard deck, I was able to keep enough cards in hand and a Desert in play for long enough to resolve a Simic Sky Swallower I Recollected out of my grave.

The third game I played was against Early Harvest + Reiterate.dec. For that to work, you need to have enough mana to cast both at the same time, AKA 9 mana. You can't play Early Harvest, untap, then Reiterate after it resolves. Which he tried to do. Then proceeded to swear at me and call me a pussy. Evil or Very Mad

That's when I lost interest in testing the deck further (though I added Reiterate into my deck, because it seems like a nifty trick to search out against any sort of weird combo deck). Feel free to comment on it. I don't have that much attachment to the deck so far, but there was lots of interest in my last rogue build, so maybe this one can be worked with also.
kilomitro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyonw thought of runnign dragons and reiterate vs dragonstorm.dec? i noe it seems like a cute combo, but MUC used a similar methode vs tooth and nail way back when.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure? Isn't Storm actually part of the spell itself? Although, if I suppose it was, every copy would have Storm, and you'd automatically have infinitely many spells, which doesn't make any sense. Sad You're probably right. I guess.
Ronnan
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm is part of spell, but it only triggers when you play the spell
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about my deck...?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1